Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Fortress of Centuries  (Read 7405 times)

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Centuries
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 10:47:19 pm »

I think no waterfall is a must, theyre bad on FPS

Also a volcano would be nice since we wouldnt have to make fuel and worry about wood, we could just go straight to smelting. Thats 2 or 3 free dwarves and less items on the map

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 02:44:54 am »

DF-HACKs clean and cleamowned commands would be pretty necessary too.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 08:36:25 am »

You do need Feul
FOR STEEL!

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 10:15:15 am »

You do need Feul
FOR STEEL!

THE FOREST [NAME] LIES AT OUR DOORSTEP. BURN IT.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 10:44:07 am »

There is no curse in elfisch, orks, dwarfisch or the tongue of men for this treachery!
My destenation is Isengard tonight, with a rock and stone!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 10:13:51 pm »

Is this still alive ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 09:44:05 am »

It's most certainly still alive. The thing that's keeping me from booting up is the fact that I have access to no decent computer that I can run this off a flash drive. As soon as my mother finishes her proposal and will let me use her computer, or MY computer is fixed, I can start this up.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »

My computer is come back.

As much as Masterwork looks interesting, I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the experience of vanilla for 25% extra FPS- it looks really complicated. I'd really like to just use Vanilla DF, though I'd like to propose modding out aquifers.

As a concession to the FPS people, however, since it's a fortress to stand the test of time, we should be able to get away with a low pop cap, since breeding will help boost the population anyways later on. I'm going to push for a pop cap of 15- ie just the first two migrant waves.

What sort of embark do we want? Just calm or wilderness?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 06:21:42 pm »

I personally favor untamed wilds, more for the potential profit to be made domesticating and selling giant animals. Plus animal men make great "sparring partners." And the remains can just be atomsmashed into oblivion afterward.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »

Doesn't matter to me.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:06 pm »

Problem is, untamed wilds are more dangerous because of the badgers- and on the scale we're playing at, won't the elves bring us awesome shit anyway?

I think I'd prefer to embark in a temperate area, maybe even a cold one- it'll give me an excuse to set up a water supply underground and do some lightweight dwarfineering.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »

Ah, but the problem here is if we're going to be doing this in a manner of a succession, or even just follwoing along, less danger = less entertainment. And besides, the elves almost never bring the opposite sex of what you want anyway and domesticating them could be beneficial if someone wants to use the world post fort.

And again, we need less items for trade if we have several thousand dorfbucks in giant animals.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 06:16:21 pm »

Right, let's get this party started.

I genned a world with a medium number of civs and a low number of sites. Minerals are everywhere, the natural savagery is low but megabeasts are medium. I originally wanted to run it for 550 years, but after realizing how long that would take I stopped it in year 110. I started an embark that was untamed wilds, but then I abandoned it because I thought it got horrible FPS, when in fact I'd confused the FPS cap and the pop cap tags. Idiot. Therefore, the original lengthy "prologue" I had written up will not see the light of day. The important parts are these:

I packed two copper picks, a copper battle axe, 80 units of booze, 20 seeds for each of the major crops, food, thread, cloth, bags, and ropes (though no wheelbarrow or buckets this time), a breeding pair of war dogs (plus a regular bitch just in case), a tomcat, two turkey hens and a gobbler, a ewe and a ram.

We have a broker/bookkeeper, two miners, a woodcutter/carpenter, a brewer/herbalist/grower, a stonecrafter/cook, and a furnace operator/weaponsmith.

We are named the Fortress of Forever; the fortress name is Horrortowers.

Strike the Earth!

The Diary of dhokarena56, Overseer, 1st Granite, 111
Right, so. We have a bit of a problem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I asked for a cliff that we could dig into for easy early defense. I asked specifically for a cliff. They said I would have a cliff, and the map looked like there would be a cliff.

And what do I get?

Nothing but flat, snowy woodland for hundreds of meters. While there are mounds to the north and south, they're pretty far to trudge. There is a brook, whose position I have vaguely indicated in cyan ink.

Bastards.

There's nothing for it. Badgers could appear at any moment and despite the fact that Inod Chancedguilt, the woodworker, has a copper battle axe I don't want to risk more than I have to. We are going to have to dig in, quickly.

I'd learned about this strategy in Fortress Management 202. In the event that you don't feel safe in your surroundings and don't have the time to start working on the permanent settlement, but do need a small self-sufficient camp in which you can hold out indefinitely, if uncomfortably, you build a tiny, compact settlement belowground and while it off while you design a more permanent fortress. I took half an hour to sketch out what I wanted, then called the miners, Bėmbul Walkboot and Unib Beanbronze, over.

"You have a week to dig this out," I said. "You're off any and all hauling duty during that time. Hop to it."

I further informed Inod that he was going to be off hauling duty as well while he manufactured a door and built a quick and shoddy defense around the camp. The only wild animal I can see is a great horned owl to the northwest, but we cannot be reckless with safety.

The Diary of dhokarena56, Overseer, 7th Granite, 111
The miners finished their job just in time. However, I seem to have completely forgotten to order them to carve out a wood stockpile. I shall build a furniture stockpile space next to the furniture stockpile, and reassign the current furniture stockpile to wood. As for food, though we will not run out any time soon, the construction of the still reminds us that it is always wise to stay in good habits. I set one of the newly dug out farms to grow a rotation of sweet pods, cave wheat, pig tails and plump helmets, another to grow the same rotation with cave wheat and pig tails swapped, and a third to grow quarry bushes in spring and autumn and plump helmets in summer and winter. I have also overlooked a kitchen and a farmer's workshop; I have space dug out next to the food stockpile.

The Diary of dhokarena56, Overseer, 1st Slate, 111

Today the last of seven beds was installed. I'm impressed at the speed at which we've put this establishment up. A rough sketch of the fortress:

However, the weather's acting strangely.

Player's note: there's this bug where the snow all melted, then a snowstorm came, but the snow periodically melts during the snowstorm, so it never gets beyond a dusting of white on some tiles on the map. Then it started raining, but the brook and ponds hadn't melted. Bizarre.

We've even got defenses up:

...sort of. I need to have Inod put a roof over the stairs so birds can't get in.

Now that that's done, we're going to have to figure out what to do next. True, we can live underground in this pit indefinitely, with as much food and booze as we want. We have assigned beds and a small dining room, and a place to hang out. Except for a place to put the animals, we're set for as long as we need to be.

I shall go have a drink and think about it.

[have a drink]

(Player's note: at this point, I too decided to go have dinner to ruminate on the matter. However it goes, we may end up living in this pit possibly up until the end of the year, depending on how long it takes to dig out the main encampment.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:07:56 pm by dhokarena56 »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 06:18:12 pm »

Whoopsies! I forgot to do untamed wilds. Continue with this or start over? I can do either one.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 06:22:58 pm »

Whichever. And brook might be better FPS wise but a stream will make a better barrier if you do decide to start over.

On the other hand you did a good first right up so... I'm conflicted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4