Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Fortress of Centuries  (Read 7403 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
The Fortress of Centuries
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:16 pm »

I know, I know. I've done a few other succession games, and they've rarely gotten off the ground.

...but then few really do.

I suspect that we're probably going to be waiting until autumn, if not winter, for the next release. With that in mind, why not make a succession fortress that dares to dream?

The real measure of a fortress, I think, isn't its size or how colossal it is. It is its longevity. Dwarves are industrious creatures, and it's not much of a mean feat in terms of time to make a gigantic magma cannon, or a tower that reaches to the heavens, or a gigantic pit- just in terms of organization and effort. Even the most famous fortresses were not all that long-lived: Boatmurdered lasted a mere fourteen years; Headshoots eighteen; Syrupleaf and Battlefailed thirteen; Failcannon twenty-three. The record seems to have been a fortress called Halltraded, which survived for three decades before falling prey to, I believe, FPS.

Child's play.

I think it's possible to play a fortress for a full half century. A century would be possible, I suppose, but I think the organization would fall apart around the halfway point.

This would of course require some changes to the rules than are usual for a succession game. Firstly, the usual rule of "one player, one year, one week" is not, I think, feasible. One year is simply not a long enough time- I propose two and a half years as a good turn length (so that we'll have twenty turns total). Moreover, we're going to need a smaller number of players than is usual. I propose finding about 7 (including myself) who are good at succession games, and rotate them through (to make it all even, we could extend the game time to fifty two and a half years). By that I mean that they are not only good at keeping a fortress thriving, but that they write good, image-filled, descriptive posts of their turns. Because of this, we'll also have to give people more than a week for their turns- the deadline should be extended to two weeks.

Does this sound interesting to people?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: The Fortress of Centuries
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:04:41 pm »

If you wish to play for 100 years, I suggest getting a mod that simplifies everything aka instead of oak, maple, pine. you just get a simple "wood" from a "tree" and very little stone layers, and creature materials simplified too so no goat leather, every thing is called leather.

This will keep FPS steady even with a large amount of dwarves.

DarkDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:24:56 pm »

I'de like to take part in it, especially since my finals are finished now, and I got tons of free time :D If you want to use a mod to decrease the change of FPS death, I'd higly recommend masterwork dwarf fortress, you can turn all the extra features off if you want (if you want to play a pure vannila fortress, while at the same time you can turn on the options to massively reduce the number of types of wood/stones/other things I can't recall at the moment.
Greeting, Darkdorf.
no sigs *yet*

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »

As long as I get an early turn I'm up for it. The last succession I tried that was lategame resulted in me bowing out in defeat only halfway through my turn. And I am ashamed of that. It'd be interesting to see a fort last this long, what with organizational hell being invoked with succession games. You'll need to set other limits in order to limit catastrophic lossess though, unless the goal is to keep the place going in spite of that.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:16 pm »

It sounds great. I think the masterwork idea is a good idea, really, because things like leather, wood and different kinds of worthless stone, really doesn't make the game -that- much more interesting, and I imagine the game would be extremely cluttered in the end.

I'm game, at any rate.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

Obviously it would be extremely cluttered. One way of reducing the FPS strain, of course, would be to play on a 3x3 embark, which has just over half the area of a normal 4x4 embark- the problem, of course, is that especially with the new mining drop rates, it's entirely possible- nay, likely- that we will actually exhaust all our stone by the end, and that could be a Bad Thing (although luckily very expensive prepared meals are a renewable resource, but Toady hasn't yet implemented caravans carrying things in bulk as much). As a result we'll have to be very careful about any megaprojects we want to build, and possibly set up an obsidian farm just for the purpose.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

DarkDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:10:34 pm »

We should probably make some sort of priority list for who needs to do what, eg. metal production/arming of the militia, setting up above mentioned obsidian farm, breaching the caverns (or possibly the Circus?) I'd like to sign up for turn two or three. Btw, are you taking any dorfing requests? (Once it get's started  ofcourse)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:12:27 pm by DarkDorf »
no sigs *yet*

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:24:42 pm »

I shan't be dorfing anyone; I'm not too fond of dorfing...oh, if people really want me to, I suppose I can.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:29 pm »

It's basically customary to name dorfs after the players. Gives them an excuse to write journals and plug themselves into the game directly so to speak.

DarkDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 02:31:39 pm »

It's basically customary to name dorfs after the players. Gives them an excuse to write journals and plug themselves into the game directly so to speak.
What this man said ^^.
no sigs *yet*

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »

I would like to join.  But the FPS will, most likely, be our main enemy.  That and people trying to build magma cannons.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:25 pm »

Take the Masterwork mod and put the settings so it is Normal DF except the settings whe improves FPS

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 12:52:37 pm »

Oh, I'd like a turn. Lets get a really diverse embark also. We wouldnt want players getting bored because the land is so stale

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 01:00:27 pm »

And i would like a turn too

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 04:10:30 pm »

Is the list full yet or can I join in at the last second?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4