Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobles, Early World Gen and Training  (Read 589 times)

gooberboy9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobles, Early World Gen and Training
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:22:29 pm »

A few quick questions for my fellow bearded ones.

1) I started out on year 100, currently at year 104 with a population of 197, of which 80 are babies or children.  I haven't gotten a single noble aside from the Hammerer.  Is this normal?  If so, why?

Also I've seen goblin snatchers but no ambushes or sieges, is there a reason for this as well?

2) As far as training goes, what should I make to get my smiths up to legendary in weapon, armor and metal smithing and crafting?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Nobles, Early World Gen and Training
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:28:39 pm »

1. You need more wealth. Roads too maybe. Or just have patience. Only 2 types of nobles will migrate to your fort. The rest are home grown appointed nobles.

2. You got tetrahedrite?

gooberboy9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:35:06 pm »

1 - Ah. 

2 - That's all I've got :(

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:04:52 pm »

Armoursmithing: either leggings (highest return rate for melting) or high boots (90XP per job instead of 60)
Weaponsmithing: Serrated discs. Highest return rate, and the unmeltable masterworks are very good for either traps or trading.
Blacksmithing: don't know.
Metalcrafting: not sure. Goblets, I think.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:35:13 pm »

I believe you can cheaty-face metalcrafting by using metal bars to construct a floor, deconstruct the floor, repeat.  The construction task gains XP in metalcrafting.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48:54 pm »

I believe that doesn't give any xp at all.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:00:32 pm »

It needs to be a building, not a construction. So, a metal depot, or a furnace, or something like that. And it'll raise blacksmithing, not metalcrafting. The experience gains are so minor that I wouldn't bother, though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »

Might be good for setting up a mood though, if you can make sure that the dwarf has 0XP in anything moodable. I wonder what happens with moods if a Dabbling skill is allowed to rust to the point where a level would normally be lost. Does the level not get drained because there's no lower number for it to go to, or does the XP total go to zero? Would that turn the dwarf into a craft mooder and not a blacksmith mooder?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.