Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Human Thread] /3.0\  (Read 8452 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
X-Com: The Two Sides [Human Thread] /3.0\
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:12:55 pm »

Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pre-Update (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Soldier Selection (click to show/hide)

I plan to stick with this image size, so sorry for those of you with smaller monitor sizes. Try increasing your resolution temporarily.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:15:20 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Human Thread] /3.0\
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »

It's Frosty, not Freshy. >:I

Anyways, why do you set your base up like that? Won't aliens get all up in your shit if you have so many access points to the hangars?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:33:35 pm »

It's Frosty, not Freshy. >:I

Fixed. I knew I'd screw up something. Expect future mistakes of similar caliber.

Anyways, why do you set your base up like that? Won't aliens get all up in your shit if you have so many access points to the hangars?

Perhaps. However, aliens will have to go in more different ways, spreading out their troops further. Having more entries is both an advantage and disadvantage for the aliens, if I assume you're referring to the higher hanger count.

Base assaults won't come for a long time, and if they do happen, I'm probably dead anyway. The extra hangers are well worth it, imo, because I can keep my elerium and missiles all in one place. If a misc. base gets sniped, I won't lose the fighter craft also, which are very valuable.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 03:00:33 pm »

Well, no. In XCOM, when you build a base, the only thing you want touching a hangar is another hangar and then the access tunnel. The only thing connecting to your main complex should be the access hangar, that way you have a chokepoint you can set up all your guys and tanks at and then just kill aliens with tons of proxy nades and reaction fire.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 03:10:41 pm »

Well, no. In XCOM, when you build a base, the only thing you want touching a hangar is another hangar and then the access tunnel. The only thing connecting to your main complex should be the access hangar, that way you have a chokepoint you can set up all your guys and tanks at and then just kill aliens with tons of proxy nades and reaction fire.

Interesting thought. Though, in TTS all slots not occupied by a building still have pathways through them. Also, most of those buildings I can't choose the location of initially.

So, they could go out any side of the hanger and just come around.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »

Hopes he hasn't scared everyone away with his intro...

Comments, criticism, claiming, and so on, are welcome as always. Also, we still have no soldiers claimed. I'll auto assign if you guys don't particularly care.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:36:22 pm by Orb »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »

You can just auto assign me to a soldier, preferably one that gets a lot of action of course! Following this like usual ^^

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:02:13 am »

...You spelled my name wrong  :P
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:16:58 am »

...You spelled my name wrong  :P

My only guess as to why I messed that up is that ND = National Department of bla bla bla.... Fixed'.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:18:25 am »

Huh. Shouldn't your scouts have high perception instead of throwing accuracy? Unless you use them more as grenadiers or something like that.

Also, also, posting to watch.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:31 pm »

Huh. Shouldn't your scouts have high perception instead of throwing accuracy? Unless you use them more as grenadiers or something like that.

Also, also, posting to watch.

I use them more as grenadiers.

Most combat happens at close quarters, so the motion sensors apply more than perception.

However, I usually use grunts with high PE to do the initial scouting(as indicated with the guy who did the broad sweep). Tanks also gets this job, since they usually have high PE.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:36:29 pm »

I want in! Yay!

But finish this one.

* GlyphGryph glares.

GlyphGryph reporting for duty, sir!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:40:20 pm »

Orb returns the glare.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To be honest, though, Comp got hit by the RL train in the 1st one, and in the 2nd one it was pretty much decided.

It's like if all of a sudden I destroyed your entire military in Starcraft 2, and had free reign to destroy your mineral lines. It would have been just that, Burnt would have had to sit back while I did terror missions and destroyed her 'economy'.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:42:43 pm by Orb »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:59:26 pm »

Wait a minute when did I host an X-Com lets play? I actually managed to get it working on my computer!?

o___o

This is one of those dark spots, isn't it...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 07:52:41 am »

Most combat happens at close quarters, so the motion sensors apply more than perception.

Ah. Well, I could never get motion sensors to work for some odd reason, which wasn't a problem until I actually had to get inside a bloody UFO, since I used scouts in tandem with snipers to clear the outside areas. Admittedly said snipers rarely ended up using sniper rifles, especially if I've skipped the whole laser line altogether.
Pages: [1] 2 3