Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can I simply kill a goblin in a cage?  (Read 4642 times)

PhoneixS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • PhoneixS Web
Can I simply kill a goblin in a cage?
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:50:08 pm »

I'm a little noob and I have put some defenses in my fortress that trapped many goblins. But now, I don't know what to do to kill them. I have seen in the wiki that you can kill with magna, arenas and other method, but there is no simple method as q -> "I Kill"?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Can I simply kill a goblin in a cage?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:58:29 pm »

Nope, no direct execution methods of prisoners.

You'll have to get creative.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »

Not really, But, I recommend digging a deep hole and dropping them down it using asssign pit. make a pit with , put it over the hole. then make it a [p]it, then go to Information on the same screen with [P], and the assigning the goblins to it. If you want to make sure, build a trap at the bottom, and drop them AGAIN. Or something similar. I built a execution tower for impressiveness from afar value.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:17:04 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »

The magna carta is indeed a deadly piece of text.

Personally I favour imprisonment, or creative ways of goblin destruction.

Then again, the more practical would say the military is never in short supply of training dummies.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:09:53 pm »

Dig a chute with a two z-level drop, pit them in it, and drop things on them with a garbage dump until they die (I recommend individual seeds). Or, you can build up a large number of kittens, cage them next to the pit, and then have them all pitted into it rapidly.

If you want them to be useful, pit them in a room with wooden weapon traps (or upright wooden spears attached to a lever) and fortifications on the edges. They'll eventually become masters in their weapon skill (if you leave them with weapons) and will block pretty much every bolt you shoot at them, training marksdwarves at an absurd rate. I haven't had much success with thieves, though.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »

The magma carta is indeed a deadly piece of text.

ftfy
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:29 pm »

I've grown partial to throwing them in tiny holes and dumping in individual bolts left over from hunting.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:40:31 pm »

The magna carta is indeed a deadly piece of text.

Personally I favour imprisonment, or creative ways of goblin destruction.

Yes, but if you're using the magna carta, you can't imprison someone without having a jury of their peers find them guilty. Have you ever tried to get 12 goblins to show up for jury duty? Which is why my forts toss the magna in the magma and just get on with dealing with prisoners in a practical manner.

OP: Use 'i' to designate a 1-tile zone near your goblin cage(s) and set it for garbage. Use d-b-c and select the cage(s) with the prisoner(s) to unforbid their possessions. Then use d-b-d and select the cages to mark them (and all of their contents) for dumping. Now use 'k' to go to each cage and hit d to unmark it for dumping. You've now marked all of the goblins' equipment for dumping. Your dwarves will come and strip all of the goblins of their stuff and put it in the garbge zone. Use d-b-c to unforbid it so your dwarves can do somethign useful with it.

Now you have two choices for releasing the goblins.

1) Build the cages (use b-j) in a room with a door (your live training room) and link them to a lever. Put you military melee squad(s) in the room, lock the door, and pull the lever. The unarmed goblins will be released and your troops will quickly dispatch them, getting experience in the process. Have a hospital set up, just in case of training accidents.

2) Build a shaft over your training room and designate (i) a zone at the top of the shaft and make it a pit (p).  Then use 'P' to select the critters to toss in the pit. Select your goblins. Your dwarves will come to the cage, grab the goblins by their ears like your schoolteachers used to do, and lead them (ow! ow! ow!) to the pit and drop them down. If the pit is less than 26 z-levels deep, your military should be waiting at the bottom. Actually, have the military waiting off to the side, so the goblins don't land on them. If it's 26 z-levels or deeper, you just need plenty of haulers, since the goblins will explode on impact.

There are variants to the process, including just removing their weapons (you have to use the z-stocks menu to do that) so they survive longer against your troops so as to give more experience. But the above will get the job done.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »

Then again, the more practical would say the military is never in short supply of training dummies.
This. Strip them naked using the mass dump tool ([d] [d]) then, un dump the cage itself, and the dwarves will strip them naked, and of their weapons. Drop them in a pit, and have fun. Alternatively, drop them in a pit of trained dogs.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:47:08 pm »

In the early years of my current fort, I would build all the goblin/human cages in a room, link them all to a master lever, flood the room, pull the lever, wait..., drain the room, loot stuff.

Then I built a 20z iron tower with a balcony with a hatch in it, to pit goblins/kittens onto the upright spikes in a 10z pit (total 30 z drop)

But now I Pit them a few at a time into the training room.

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:46:01 pm »

This. Strip them naked using the mass dump tool (d-b-d) then, un dump the cage itself, and the dwarves will strip them naked, and of their weapons. Drop them in a pit, and have fun. Alternatively, drop them in a pit of trained dogs.

Another version, if you want to remove weapons only: mark the cage as hidden (d-b-h), go to stock/weapons menu, reclaim and dump all weapons marked as hidden, then unhide the cage (d-b-H). I do it, because it is faster than dumping all contents, and armour ensures that fun lasts a bit longer.

Sometimes I also dump ammunition, so it is available for my dwarves faster, or dump ONLY ammunition from gobbo bowmen, if I feel particularly cruel.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:32:37 pm »

Last I knew goblin thieves won't allow themselves to be transported by dwarves and will try to stab their way free. This frightens civilian dwarves.

Invader and ambushing military goblins (EDIT: and apparently all goblins) though will allow themselves to be hauled.

EDIT: Fixed thanks to the information in the following post.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:43:26 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:35:10 pm »

That's beautiful. Unfortunately, it menaces with spikes of slight misinformation... thieves no longer attempt escape, so pitting them is fine.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 08:50:06 pm »

If you don't want the micromanagement or risk of a pitting or cage-building system, you can build an auto-goblin-shotgunner that chucks the creature from a minecart into a pit or something. It could be completely automated with no user input, if the feed stockpile to the minecart only accepts goblin cages (and not empty cages).

See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109460.msg3340230#msg3340230 for details.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 08:51:23 pm »

That sounds glorious. I'll check that out, despite my love for pitting.
Thanks for the link :D
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.
Pages: [1] 2