Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bogeymen =(  (Read 4694 times)

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
Bogeymen =(
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:43:40 pm »

Can we or can we mod on better night creatures ones that give a fun fight but dont turn up in groups of 50 and dodge EVERY ATTACK YOU THROW AT THEM only to one hit you in the head or punch you in the lower body mortally wounding you and scratching you to ddeath
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Bogeymen =(
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:47:06 pm »

Bogeymen are supposed to be like that.

Also they're procedurally generated, so it's all or nothing.

Tip:
You're not a hero until the civilians say you're a hero.

Heroes bleed just like any other Dwarf.

Advanced combat > Most situations.

stven275

• Bay Watcher
  • What do i put here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »

Well the night creatures are there for a reason... Either get a companion or die, that is why they exist.
"I don't have time to jusify myself to your viewers.(dances in pink armor)"
-YouTube comment 2012

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »

I modded in custom bogeymen. I intended them to be slightly less difficult but more interesting. Turns out they're more difficult and more interesting. They include a semi-megabeast-like one that has boiling blood that permanently blinds you. Try them.

see: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110746.msg3337462#msg3337462

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »

I generally find that an adventurer with full coverage in armor, and competent or better in Amor use, Dodge, Shield, and the weapon hes fighting with does ok.  Barring the lucky shot, an adventurer that can stand up in an honest fight with another healthy, armed NPC and come out unscathed has nothing to fear from Bogeymen

Hint:
NEVER FIGHT MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME

Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 06:10:30 am »

Yeh, these things just wont die.
I punched one with a slade colossus to the point where he had only two limbs left and was bleeding from pretty much everywhere.
Behead them or bisect them.
Or breath dragonfire.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:54:37 am »

I found they die pretty easy if you can at least HIT the damn things. They're talented in all unarmed skills, plus observer and dodge, so you'd likely need more than talented skill in your weapon skill, good shield and dodge skills (probably best to have more than skilled), and a shitload of luck to take them on in a fair fight. As it stands, you absolutely must not let them close on you, which means dumping points into agility and removing your backpack-o'-crap when the fight begins to ensure you've got a speed advantage ( > 1000). Engage them one at a time, charge the one you've singled out to knock him down, as long as his buddies are more than 2 tiles from him, and make sure you get a hit in on a leg or foot. You want to get them all prone, to remove their speed advantage and reduce their attacks. This is going to be obsolete in the next version as Toady said on the dev page that he's implementing the attack/movement speed split, so getting them on the ground will only prevent them from catching you too easily, but they'll still flail wildly at you and have a good chance of causing major damage with each swing.

If you take any hits, even bruising, back up and reassess your situation, and preferably spend as much time out of reach as possible. If they knock you over or cause any injury that induces even moderate pain or nausea, it's all over for you. All. Over. If they somehow fail to maul you enough to reduce your speed, take the chance to bugger out and find somewhere to sneak and try to wait out the night and gather your gear.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 02:12:17 pm »

Yup. Generally, even with a legendary weapon lord you should still be going for easy hits. If they end up getting crippled, go for hard hits that'll give you the kill shot.

Or, go the unarmed combat route, and just strangle the lousy buggers.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »

I've found the combined used of wrestling and a weapon to be quite effective against them.

Of course, if you stumble upon them as a generally unskilled adventurer, you are done for. Try to get your main combat skills (Dodger, Fighter, Weapon user and Wrestler and maybe Shield user) to Proficient at least before tackling them.

But yes, they are incredibly annoying to deal with.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:19:04 pm »

I've found that terrain can be used to your advantage quite well with bogeymen. Since they attack you where you sleep, you get to decide how and where they attack you. Strategically placed campfires can block access and funnel them all into one area. Water is also very useful. Bogeymen will enter the water at will and can't drown, but they're not very fast swimmers. Swim around a hamlet stream for a day to train swimming and you'll likely be faster than them in the water. And, if they're in the water and you're on land so much the better.
So, when I need a place to sleep in the wilderness, what I often do is to find a murky pool, get near the edge of it, and then make camp fires on all the adjacent land tiles. I can come and go easily by dipping into the water, but, if the b-men come, they'll have to approach me from the pool and thus be at a significant disadvantage. Turn dodge and charge off, and this obviously isn't effective if water freezes at night where you are.

ØØ~~
Ø@~~
ØØ~~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »

Ah yes, sleeping at a river, mountain or a beach. Or a market I guess. Instant bogeymen immunity.

Smashness

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:SLEEP:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:36:17 am »

I was playing with a relatively unmodded Bronze Colossus and decided the peak of the tallest mountain on the planet would be a good spot to take a nappy. The bogeymen ambushed me, and I just batted them off the face of the fucking planet. One actually survived the fall and crawled back up to the peak, only to choke to death. HELL YEAH

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »

If you play as a human and you have good speed and strength you can stand your ground and when they charge they will get knocked over, not you. They are small creatures. And as always, fight them 1 at a time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 03:21:40 pm »

If you play as a human and you have good speed and strength you can stand your ground and when they charge they will get knocked over, not you. They are small creatures. And as always, fight them 1 at a time.
Unless you trance. In which case, go nuts.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 03:38:01 pm »

With how difficult and ubiquitous bogeymen are in DF right now, I cannot possibly understand how people in that world can actually live.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2