Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mooding dwarf won't get things  (Read 2075 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Mooding dwarf won't get things
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:31 am »

So my hunter got a mood (I don't remember which)
I have got the items demanded by him, but yet he won't get out of the workshop to get them.
I don't have burrows by the way.
Those items are not forbidden either.

So I saved and stopped playing before any shenanigan happens, and came right away to the forum.

What happened? I'm pretty sure I have enough things to satisfy whatever he needs, and I doubt he won't need more than 500 stones or gems or whatever.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mooding dwarf won't get things
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:18:08 am »

You might not have everything he needs.  Some different requirements give identical messages.  For example, a secretive mood will draw stacked cloth for plant, yarn, or silk cloth, and if you don't have the kind he wants, the other kinds won't cut it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:22:56 am »

You might not have everything he needs.  Some different requirements give identical messages.  For example, a secretive mood will draw stacked cloth for plant, yarn, or silk cloth, and if you don't have the kind he wants, the other kinds won't cut it.
He doesn't require cloths fortunately.

He wanted stones and gems, which is in a stockpile right next to the workshop.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:29:00 am »

Do you have cut and uncut gems? Do you have stones and blocks?

Is any of the stockpiles set to give to the workshop?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:48 am »

What does he say he wants? Has he collected any of the items yet?

Use [t] to check what has already been brought to the claimed workshop, and [q] to view what he claims he wants.  Remember, it shows each item for approximately two seconds, so if one particular item is there for longer, he most likely wants more than one of it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:06:30 am »

What does he say he wants? Has he collected any of the items yet?

Use [t] to check what has already been brought to the claimed workshop, and [q] to view what he claims he wants.  Remember, it shows each item for approximately two seconds, so if one particular item is there for longer, he most likely wants more than one of it.
gems... shining
rough... color
tree... life
stone... rock

He just won't touch the stockpiles!
Will any of you help me if I upload the save?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:10:19 am »

Okay apparently idiot viruses are spreading amongst my dwarves.

My stupid bookkeeper keep spamming me that he doesn't have an office when in fact HE'S STANDING RIGHT BESIDE IT OH GOD WHAT A TWIST I CAN'T SEE THIS GODDAMN OFFICE IN FRONT OF MY FACE LOLOLOLOL IM A FUCKING BLIND RETARD

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:12:19 am »

Is he assigned to any burrows? Are there any burrows on top of the workshop? Both of these things can mess up moods IIRC. Also I have heard some reports of people having problems with moods and the stockpile "give to workshop" settings, though I haven't experienced it myself yet.

While this is true and a very useful tool, there is one thing to know in that it doesn't apply to the first "base" item. If the first three items are all stone, then it will still only show stone for 2ish seconds despite the fact that they want 3 instead of just 1.

Okay apparently idiot viruses are spreading amongst my dwarves.

My stupid bookkeeper keep spamming me that he doesn't have an office when in fact HE'S STANDING RIGHT BESIDE IT OH GOD WHAT A TWIST I CAN'T SEE THIS GODDAMN OFFICE IN FRONT OF MY FACE LOLOLOLOL IM A FUCKING BLIND RETARD
Do you have any locked doors? Are you sure that your dwarves can access the areas you want them to and you haven't accidentally taken out a staircase or ramp somewhere? Do you still have a military alert on that is confining dwarves to a certain area?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:17:37 am »

Gems ... shining means cut gems, rough ... color means uncut gems.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 05:12:03 am »

'rough.... color' might also refer to raw glass.

And, your dorf will get things in order, if he's stuck on an early item, he won't get later items, so you need to check if there are any items in the workshop with the 'TSK', then you will know where he is up to.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 06:49:36 am »

Check the preferences of the dwarf.
Sometimes a moody dwarf needs an specific material that he likes (like a blacksmith that wants silver and nothing else).
The base material is probably rock, so check if he has a preference for some tipe of rock.
you can use Dwarf hack to see what he specifically wants if you ok with cheating.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:52:46 am by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:59 am »

Stuff isnt stuck in a Trading Depot is it? All th items have to be in an accessible stockpile.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:04:35 am »

My guess is that whatever cut gem type he's looking for, you don't have it available for some reason.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 11:05:19 am »

Stuff isnt stuck in a Trading Depot is it? All th items have to be in an accessible stockpile.

Dont moody dwarves steal from caravans like hospitals do?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:46 am »

Not in my experience. But that doesn't mean they won't; this is DF, after all. ;)
Pages: [1] 2