Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners refuse to use ramps, instead died of dehydration  (Read 1679 times)

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners refuse to use ramps, instead died of dehydration
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:44:15 pm »

So i build my main shaft, but this time, I thought it would be cool to build ramps so the traders can trade inside, safe from flying things.
I draw this out in Quickfort
Code: [Select]

,r,r,r, #
h, , , ,h#
h, , , ,h#
h, , , ,h#
 ,r,r,r, #

,h,h,h, #
r, , , ,r#
r, , , ,r#
r, , , ,r#
 ,h,h,h, #

And then proceed to dig. But then after a little while, they die of dehydration. So i thought maybe you can't walk up into a brick wall... fair enough, so then i dig space around the ramps with my new miners and then they go down and dig out my workshops so more and then they have the same problem, wanting to drink but can't. as soon as i replace it with stairs, they race up for a drink... what gives?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Miners refuse to use ramps, instead died of dehydration
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »

I'm not sure I'm reading your diagram right, but are you doing this?

# ____/#
#\____ #
# ____\#

(From the side)

If so, your problem is that ramps need to be leaning against a wall in the direction they go;

e.g.
    ___
___/###

will work,

but
   ____
__/____

or

__ #
__/#

won't.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:00:55 pm »

I'm guessing this is to do with travel from an up ramp to a floor with no wall underneath being disallowed.

To paraphrase the wiki entry for "ramp":

The ramp must have a wall next to it which the dwarfs can stand on top of.

Don't know what the symbols on the diagram mean, though, or why you've apparently shown a wall in the east but not on the other three sides. If ',' stands for floor and the idea is to travel by ramp from one floor to the next, then there's your problem.

Which is exactly what the poster above me just said.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:30:13 pm »

Hum... i think this part

____
__/____

could explain the problem...

yeah sorry about the diagram, that wasn't meant to be a screenshot of the shaft. it's actually what u'd do in quickfort to designate digging so the # at the end means end of line. i don't use the ascii graphics so i don't know what the floor looks like but if i leave it as empty space then two levels would look like this

//1st level
#######
# hhh #
#r   r#
#r   r#
#r   r#
# hhh #
#######
//2nd level
#######
# rrr #
#h   h#
#h   h#
#h   h#
# rrr #
#######

and i just repeat this pattern. it's kinda like the alternating stairs pattern to ensure dwarves don't fall down 10z levels in one trip but i thought i'd be cleaver and turn it into an alternating ramp pattern.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, when u dig a ramp, you don't choose x or y direction looking from top-down. you just choose the z direction, whether it's up or down... so how does df differentiate between:

____
__/____

and

____
__\____

isn't that the same thing?

so from the side

# ____/#
#\____ #
# ____\#

could be interpreted as

# ____\#
#/____ #
# ____/#

right?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:33:52 pm by mordrax »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:40:38 pm »

Yeah, the actual ramp tile only has a direction based on the surrounding tiles. All those directions were chosen by me, as I felt it is a bit easier to conceptualise than using ^ or v.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:57:29 pm »

Your method, if I'm reading the diagram correctly, will not create ramps that can be used for upward travel.  what you need is something more like this:

level+0    level+1    level+2    level+3
#######    #######    #######    #######
##____#    #+^#__#    #_v+^##    #___v+#
#^___v#    #v____#    #_____#    #____^#
#+___+#    #_____#    #_____#    ##___##
#v___^#    #____v#    #_____#    #^____#
#____##    #__#^+#    ##^+v_#    #+v___#
#######    #######    #######    #######

# wall, _ open space/channel, + floor, ^/v up/dn ramp

This creates a double helix spiral clockwise moving up a 7x7 shaft.  It can be reduced to a 5x5 if you don't want all the "extra" open space.  Construction works best either digging down, or building up.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:03:10 am »

did i mention i had a Spatial Sense of 182... gimme a couple of hours to take that in... and try to visualise a 3 wide double helix central shaft

Edit:
don't know how you did 4 levels next to each other in this reply box... but i think this is what i'm looking for for 3 square wide helix.. that's pretty cool, even though it'll probably double all my dwarves travel time
level+0 
########### 
####______#   
####______#
####______#
#^^^___vvv#   
#+++___+++#   
#vvv___^^^#   
#______####   
#______####
#______####
########### 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:10:35 am by mordrax »

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
  • What wonders will I see this day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »

This:
   ____
__\____

Doesn't work.

A ramp has to have a floor both 1 z level above, and 1 tile in a cardinal direction from it, with no floor over it, and a wall underneath any floor tile you wish for it to connect to, for it to work.

O's are walls, natural or constructed, doesn't matter.
_____
OOOO\  Works

_____
       O\  Works

_____
_____\   Does not work

______
_____\    Does not work.