Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fixing glazing  (Read 2394 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing glazing
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:23:32 am »

I'm quite far along in a single-dwarf-legendary-at-all-skills challenge, and only just now discovered the bug that prevents glazing from providing experience.

Because glazing is a moddable reaction, I was hoping there was some way to modify the reaction to behave the same but provide experience. Supposedly the bug is related to the fact that it's an improvement and has no product. Would it work if you simply added a line in the reaction for a product that produced nothing? (I assume that's how training workshops work)

Also, I'd want to apply this to an existing save rather than re-genning. Will that be possible?

I'd experiment myself but I don't really want to screw up this save that I've poured so many hours into.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing glazing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:29 am »

Glazing doesn't give XP?

Okay, go into your data/save folder in your df_34_etc folder, and locate the folder for the save you want to modify. Open the raw folder within and the reaction_other file in that. Find the GLAZE_X reactions and add some kind of product. Maybe ash? I dunno how glazing works IRL.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:01:22 am »

Here's the bug on the bug tracker.

Ash is a reagent for glazing, so adding it as a product would definitely be cheaty. :P
Ideally I want it to behave exactly like vanilla, without creating any extra products, but get around the no-experience bug.

I've never actually modded reactions before, only creatures and entities.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:50 am »

Add it as a product and use 2 as a reagent - no cheating this way:)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:48:48 am »

[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE]

Should drop a puddle of water into the bottom of the workshop.  Completely unusable, and your dwarves (probably) won't try to clean it until the workshop is de-constructed.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:00:27 am »

[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE]

Should drop a puddle of water into the bottom of the workshop.  Completely unusable, and your dwarves (probably) won't try to clean it until the workshop is de-constructed.

I like this best so far, but when I test it the water seems to stay inside the workshop until it's deconstructed. Won't this eventually cause cluttering?

Is there any way to perhaps make a product that immediately (harmlessly) self-destructs?
Alternatively, is there any way of replicating the melt-a-metal-item smelter behaviour such that it only produces a fraction of a product? I wouldn't mind getting one ash bar back for every 10 glaze jobs, for example.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:31 am »

...is there any way of replicating the melt-a-metal-item smelter behaviour such that it only produces a fraction of a product? I wouldn't mind getting one ash bar back for every 10 glaze jobs, for example.

That should work, and you can also make it less than a whole bar if you add [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:n] to the end of the reaction. Something like, I don't know, a 5% chance of getting a tenth of a bar (or other glazing material) back, to simulate having a bit left over?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:46:27 am »

Okay, I tried messing with both probability and PRODUCT_DIMENSION.

Setting the percent chance to 33% means that it only produces ash 1/3 of the time. However, it only grants experience when the ash is produced, so that's no more useful than when it's 100%.

Lowering product dimension did not produce partial bars in the same way as the smelter. Instead, it produced a smaller ash bar with every reaction. They looked identical to regular ash, but reactions that used ash had to grab multiples of them in order to work. I'm doing a lot of other stuff with ash (potash, soapmaking...) so this isn't an ideal solution either.

Back to the drawing board... :-\

EDIT:

After three hours of trying to get it to produce a self-destructing stone in the reaction and getting nothing but a puddle of magma in the kiln and "Unrecognized Inorganic Token: CLAY_DUST" in the errorlog, I'm ready to give up. Can someone please, please post some raws that I can paste in?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:33:09 pm by DeKaFu »

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:46:43 am »

why not use 2 ash bars and have 1 on the output?

also

[INORGANIC:DUST]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SLIME_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:rock dust]
   [STATE_NAME:GAS:rock dust]
   [STATE_ADJ:GAS:rock dust]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:1:1]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:GREY]
   [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
   [MELTING_POINT:NONE]
   [BOILING_POINT:10000]
   [HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
   [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10001]

this is dust from Masterwork and should work fine (it is a boulder, not bar)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 08:33:42 am »

Because I'm trying to keep it as close to vanilla as possible, so changing the reagents is a last resort, even if it works out the same balance-wise.

Anyway, I pasted that in inorganic_other.txt and this into the glaze-large-pot reaction:
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:DUST]
and it's still dropping magma and giving this error:
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction GLAZE_LARGE_POT
Unrecognized Inorganic Token: DUST

So, whatever. Am I missing a step somewhere? Maybe it's just not possible to insert new materials without regenning? If I replace "DUST" with "GRANITE" or "MARBLE" it works perfectly, but I obviously don't want all my granite or marble ceasing to exist.

Edit: I just thought, I'm adding all this to raws inside the save folder. Do I need to add it to the general game raws as well?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:36:02 am by DeKaFu »

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:52 am »

Not possible without regenning i believe. And RAWs in save and in general are not connected at all. So add this to general RAW folder and regen. No workaround that i know about.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34:17 am »

Not possible without regenning i believe. And RAWs in save and in general are not connected at all. So add this to general RAW folder and regen. No workaround that i know about.

Regen isn't an option since I've already poured over a week into this challenge (16 skills legendary and 5 more close, woo). However, this is useful information and I believe I've now found a workaround: I have the reaction produce a valley herb, which have their HEATDAM set to 3000, so they wear into nothing in ~5 steps. There's no valley herbs on the map and I'd be delighted if the merchants stopped bringing them so it seems like a reasonable sacrifice. I'll have to see what happens when the elves roll in...

Unless someone can think of a better sacrificial material?

Regardless, it's working and the glazing experience is piling up.Yay!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 12:25:03 pm »

A rock that just boils away into a harmless gas would also work.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »

A rock that just boils away into a harmless gas would also work.
This right here. Just make a new rock (you could call it "glazing smoke" or something like that) and then give it [BOILING_POINT:9950] and it should boil just about anywhere without causing any real harm.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:51 pm »

That would work in most cases, but I can't regen the world, hence the workaround.
Pages: [1] 2