Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: My love for Bay12  (Read 14274 times)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My love for Bay12
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:41:17 pm »

Another thread really made me want to express this..

And I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Between awesome games like DF and LCS and the absurdities that have been spawned in the name of DF, there's no other forum I've ever been able to frequent without dropping off the face of the earth shortly after joining.

DF in particular has spawned a community of creative mad geniuses... It's hard not to be proud to be a part of the madness.

And as far as I've noticed generally a very civil community! The patience it takes to figure out dwarf fortress probably filters out most extremely narrow minded hateful individuals.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: My love for Bay12
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:45:59 pm »

Any place that lets me soapbox incessantly without telling me my life's a failure and my mother was a gorilla is a good place to me.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:46:36 pm »

I feel like this has happened before. But it's a good feel.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:49:44 pm »

DF ... spawned ... creative mad geniuses ... [and] filter[d] out most extremely narrow minded hateful individuals.

That's... about right, I think.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:50:15 pm »

I think that last point is untrue to a certain extent. And I find it quite interesting that such a thought exists. Specially since a lot of people around here don't actually play DF.

I believe that to a certain point communities define themselves. As in: People act in certain ways in certain places because they think that is how you are to act. Not to mention all communities turn into echo chambers and it can be hard for one to actually judge how that community is.

You guys know what I mean? Specially those of you who have seen some of the outlashes from bay 12 against certain people.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:02 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:08:22 am »

I think that last point is untrue to a certain extent. And I find it quite interesting that such a thought exists. Specially since a lot of people around here don't actually play DF.

I believe that to a certain point communities define themselves. As in: People act in certain ways in certain places because they think that is how you are to act. Not to mention all communities turn into echo chambers and it can be hard for one to actually judge how that community is.

You guys know what I mean? Specially those of you who have seen some of the outlashes from bay 12 against certain people.

:P Oh oops. I assumed we were all DFers.

Either way I could swear flaming isn't nearly as common on here as I've seen on other forums, and there's gotta be a pretty decent portion of us that play DF.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:46 am »

Anyone who knows Vector knows we aren't all DFers. She came for the Mafia games, I think.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:13:27 am »

The patience it takes to figure out dwarf fortress probably filters out most extremely narrow minded hateful individuals.
Na, two things do that, or at least they do down here in the lower forums*. The first of these is excellent forum mods. The second is sort of a self-reinforcing chill attitude; it tends to result in those who are not chill to either become chill... or their heads eventually explode and they get banned. We also tend to be quite odd, which makes it easy to fit in.

*Note that the lower and upper forums are pretty much entirely different communities; many of us down here haven't ventured to the surface in years or months, with OG being the gatehouse between the two realms.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:16:03 am »

Yes. We are the best forum. All dissenters will be assimilated.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:33:45 am »

I'm guessing DF is related, but yeah, inertia is probably more important than direct DF-deassholery at this point.

Yeah. Like these aforementioned "narrow-minded hateful individuals" we've clearly ousted from our rightful lands.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 01:02:37 am »

I could have been more general. :P Bay 12 Games produces games that don't cater to everyone.

And since this is the Bay 12 Games forum, naturally people who play said games are likely to be common around here, and people who play said games are likely to have the patience to figure out how to play them.

I assert that patient people think more before they say something, so they'll at least be likely to refrain from throwing slurs back and forth about how stupid the other is, or other silly nonsense.

Of course it's against the rules, so banning happens. And so I said it could be the moderation here that makes the place seem so (relatively) polite. :P No filter is perfect.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 01:10:55 am »

I've always preferred the fact that the moderation here is relatively lax, actually. The moderation standards on the GitP forums are obnoxious, and the ones on places like the Taleworlds forum are so lax that the place is basically 4chan with names and avatars.

Bay12 has always felt rather chill to me, even during the more violent shitstorms (like that thread about atheism a few years back. You guys know the one, that thread was responsible for more disciplining and banning than I've ever see a single thread cause).
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 01:17:45 am »

Bay12 has always felt rather chill to me, even during the more violent shitstorms (like that thread about atheism a few years back. You guys know the one, that thread was responsible for more disciplining and banning than I've ever see a single thread cause).

That's news to me, but please don't link the thread. I thought we discussed atheism just a few months ago without incident? If nothing else we discussed religion in general. Not a lot of forums can get away with discussions like that due to trolling.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:20:50 am »

I take it that thread descended into a turd-throwing contest. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12