Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: My love for Bay12  (Read 14248 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: My love for Bay12
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 09:51:36 pm »

Oh Bay12games. You are my favourite website. Reddit may waste more time, but I have much more fun here. There's so much less circlejerking and bitching about circlejerking.
You forgot the karma, the bitching about karma, the karma-whoring, and the bitching about the karma-whoring.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56:29 pm »

Oh Bay12games. You are my favourite website. Reddit may waste more time, but I have much more fun here. There's so much less circlejerking and bitching about circlejerking.
You forgot the karma, the bitching about karma, the karma-whoring, and the bitching about the karma-whoring.

Like I said; circlejerking. I swear, the biggest circlejerk on reddit is how much everyone hates circlejerks.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:26 am »

I've almost been here 2 years and almost have 2 posts per day, i feel special.
Actually i tend to lurk for weeks without posting anything, then i'll spend hours posting nonsense everywhere for a few days before returning to the lurking.
I still can't believe i lurked for 6 months before actually registering, that's pretty creepy.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 06:46:08 am »

I've been here for two years and I don't even have half a post a day ...

Though it makes sense. I came here because of Dwarf Fortress, and it is a game that I regularly abandon for six months or so before coming back to it.

I really like the forums, though.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 06:54:29 am »

I've been here for only one year and a few days, and I can say that my social outlook and abilities has improved. Previously, I would avoid buying things on my own and push others (usually family) to do it. But now, I guess I can handle myself independently.

Thanks Bay12!
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:47 am »

Yeah, this is increasingly the only forum (or other form of online conversation) I spend much time on. I've just never gotten into any of the BigMcLargeHuge sites like reddit, BoingBoing, slashdot, etc. And never got into gaming sites like Kotaku, PA, etc. I don't even have any RSS feeds set up, because I'm that much of a dinosaur. I tried getting involved in a local politics forum but ended up ragequitting within two months (mostly brought on by the fact that the desire to beat the living shit out of some people was exacerbated by knowing that I was actually physically close enough to make that a possibility).

B12: It's my happy place.

EDIT: Huh. Broke the 7k post mark sometime last week. Pretty good considering I don't really do forum games.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:32 pm »

Fuck that, we're a fortified qanat with the skulls of those who dared to trespass planted outside as a warning to others.
(Add obligatory drawbridge/traps/magma joke here.)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 01:36:47 pm »

Thx to this place i just discovered Cyriac on youtube.
thx bay 12.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 01:57:59 pm »

Bay 12 is the one place where internet society breaks down and fails to exist properly. Other sites have embarked into the wasteland of the internet searching riches, fame, power, and lulz, but then they come. The natives ride en masse across the rocky wastelands, cheetos in hand, pillaging and plundering all newcomers leaving behind only misogynism, racism, ignorance, entitlement, and stupidity. No one is born here, reproductive systems are rendered completely inert in these sands, only men exist here, but the natives still grow in numbers, stealing the children of outsiders who do not know the evils that lurk on these plains. In this world great empires rise and fall in matters of days, fortunes are made and lost, and the lulz are all but a dying breed, the sun never shines on the internet.

But deep within the confines of this world, exists one site, a site where the laws of the internet break down and invert upon themselves. Its a phenomenon of internet physics that is not understood by anyone, even its inhabitants, it is referred to only as the Dwarf Event Horizon. Those who enter, cannot leave. Many have tried and failed to conquer the great city of Bay 12, but they come unprepared, they come for war, and the great webmaster Toady One does not wage war. The citizens of Bay 12 are (mostly) united, and simply reject the ideals of those who come to conquer us, yes, you cannot conquer this city.

It is said that Bay 12 is an oasis, an escape from the horrid bigoted windstorms and subzero intelligence quotients that rule the internet. But to enter the city, you must undergo a great trial of strength, bravery, and... intelligence. Few pilgrims enter Bay 12 a live to tell the tale. I am one of those pilgrims, and I will never leave. If you want to come, do so, but leave everything you know about the internet behind you, yes, even the lulz, drop them now, and perhaps you can experience this place with us.

~ excerpt from the legend of Darkrider2

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 01:59:45 pm »

If it's an oasis, why is it called a bay? Maybe it's a really large oasis and thus can have bays?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »

Bay 12 is the one place where internet society breaks down and fails to exist properly. Other sites have embarked into the wasteland of the internet searching riches, fame, power, and lulz, but then they come.

Internet society never fails as long as there is internet. I would say rather that it is not a wasteland. It is a sea.
A sea full of many places, island hubs of activity with spirit that never dies. That no matter what your view or opinion, you can find someone else who has equal mindsets.
And the converse is true.
And admist this sea, many are lost, thrown to the sharks or maybe find a way to reap the rewards of surfing this sea.
Many islands are lost.
Many islands are founded.
And here in bay12, we make damn sure well our island stays classy.
Bay12 being the best forum out there? Maybe, more likely not.
I can say this though; that there are very few places where the digital embodiment of humanity actually manifests in a positive manner, in a way that is actually enjoyable to be a part of.
And for that, I love it.

___________________________________________________________________________________
It is an extremely rare occurance when I don't have a tab open to these forums.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »

Bay 12 is the one place where internet society breaks down and fails to exist properly. Other sites have embarked into the wasteland of the internet searching riches, fame, power, and lulz, but then they come. The natives ride en masse across the rocky wastelands, cheetos in hand, pillaging and plundering all newcomers leaving behind only misogynism, racism, ignorance, entitlement, and stupidity. No one is born here, reproductive systems are rendered completely inert in these sands, only men exist here, but the natives still grow in numbers, stealing the children of outsiders who do not know the evils that lurk on these plains. In this world great empires rise and fall in matters of days, fortunes are made and lost, and the lulz are all but a dying breed, the sun never shines on the internet.

But deep within the confines of this world, exists one site, a site where the laws of the internet break down and invert upon themselves. Its a phenomenon of internet physics that is not understood by anyone, even its inhabitants, it is referred to only as the Dwarf Event Horizon. Those who enter, cannot leave. Many have tried and failed to conquer the great city of Bay 12, but they come unprepared, they come for war, and the great webmaster Toady One does not wage war. The citizens of Bay 12 are (mostly) united, and simply reject the ideals of those who come to conquer us, yes, you cannot conquer this city.

It is said that Bay 12 is an oasis, an escape from the horrid bigoted windstorms and subzero intelligence quotients that rule the internet. But to enter the city, you must undergo a great trial of strength, bravery, and... intelligence. Few pilgrims enter Bay 12 a live to tell the tale. I am one of those pilgrims, and I will never leave. If you want to come, do so, but leave everything you know about the internet behind you, yes, even the lulz, drop them now, and perhaps you can experience this place with us.

~ excerpt from the legend of Darkrider2
So we're Internet Fremen, and this is Sietch Tabr?
I am okay with this.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »

DF filtered most of the assholes, and by now there's enough people on the forum of the maligned persuasions to gang up and beat on any troll trying to bash them. Like, how many homosexuals do we have? Like, 10-20? Enough to keep "fag" from being used legitimately, trolls don't like being ganged up on. And that's not even counting the the freelancers who help out anyone!

Plus, we all feel so indebted to Toady that when he sends us a warning message it hurts as bad as getting told off by our mother.

Oh yeah, and we're all the kind of people who see "supervillain" as a legitimate profession with openings, so.

tl;dr Bay12 is awesome, nice, and very dangerous.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 04:00:26 pm »

Actually, the reason "fag" isn't used is because

a) internet slang isn't, for some reason, current here
and b) pretty sure Toady would come down like the hammer of a righteous god if it were used as an insult.

The mandate is chillitude. That is the Bay12 way.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:37 pm »

I managed to rack up 4000 posts in my original 6 month (or so) stay on Bay12. That's straight up grotesque.
And here's me, not having managed to achieve 500 posts in over 3 years.  :-[
It's okay, we can lurk together!
Can we start a very quiet club?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12