Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: My love for Bay12  (Read 14233 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: My love for Bay12
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2012, 07:06:58 pm »

Internet is a fucked up place. We can be perfect by just writing in a readable English.

I think the chaos thread just dropped us below praiseworthy levels, then.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »

Internet is a fucked up place. We can be perfect by just writing in a readable English.

I think the chaos thread just dropped us below praiseworthy levels, then.

No, you are the challenge.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »

*kicks the dead horse*

Go to the Chinatowns in them big cities, many people from those areas don't even speak English.
waht
Seriously, NYC's Chinatown...  well, I actually can't say the same for the other one, but you get the idea.  Chinatown encompasses enough that many of its residents don't even have to learn English to function in society... and the 3-4 times in their life that they absolutely have to deal with English only stuff... ?  They have friends and family to help them with that.

Though, I think that has to do mostly with the immigrant population...

Yeah, that's the thing. Chinese (and spanish, and others) survive very well due to an afflux of immigrants. What's interesting to see is if these languages will survive once immigration stops.

Cearnaigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2012, 03:29:39 am »

Personally I prefer better than average to be proud of something.

As to her previous post, and with my lurking, I'd say the amount of miscreants and ne'er do wells is, by a large margin, significantly smaller proportionally compared to other communities, like, uh, Reddit. Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Reddit, but for different reasons than I would find myself browsing this forum.  You just won't see people making poor decisions like they make other places, and not get called out by the community at large and, in the longterm, punished for it, unlike other places where you'll see it go unanswered based upon how large the problem is.

What does that mean? I guess that problems get sorted out by process of the community monitoring it's own activity and discussions before it becomes necessary for the site's proprietors to step in and start handing out spankings. I'd say the number of times that actually has to happen in a week, let alone a month, can't be that bad. Though maybe the community is just smaller and people who frequent certain boards just sort of dominate discussion and the direction it goes in, and people on the upper boards are more interested in discussing the game the site's based around than causing a ruckus. That's just as likely.

I've always seen this forum in a positive light, content wise, and while I'm sure everyone can name times where you've frowned upon the community and the direction certain discussions were going, how many of those same instances happen to be around to this day? Gotta say none, typically. Probably don't last too long to begin with.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2012, 05:20:35 am »

Being a chunk of the internet that's decent rather than terrible in that it's kept running reasonably smoothly isn't anything to feel great about.
Yes, it is. Although there's better neighbourhoods and worse ones, even within Bay12, having found a place where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came, even if it's just slightly above the deep mucktrenches that is the internet, is something to feel good about.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2012, 06:49:14 am »

Group hug! :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2012, 06:51:21 am »

It's funny because endless circlejerking is the main thing that makes it difficult to feel proud of Bay 12.  I mean, we could express our liking for the community by contributing usefully to it instead of... being in these threads.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2012, 06:57:47 am »

Really? I can tolerate the circlejerking. At least that's intelligible.

I've realized (read: saw the chaos thread) that moderation's probably the only thing keeping this place even worth having a circlejerk over.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2012, 06:58:30 am »

Nothing wrong with expressing it directly. Come on, are we going to argue about this? If making others laugh or smile counts as contributing usefully then he just did it. Isn't that the point of why we are all here? To have fun?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2012, 07:01:58 am »

Eh. If anything it's just a bit annoying to see this all the time, since humble is amongst the best traits a community can have. Not to mention there's really no reason for it...
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:20 am »

Some people have problems with compliments, I guess? I don't know. Not being allowed to express positive emotions is... not constructive. Humility is one thing, but it's only arrogance if it's not actually true that you're awesome :)

So: You Guys Rule! (Guys implicitly including girls, trans, robots and other genders, of course)(and yes, even after I saw the Chaos thread)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2012, 07:08:14 am »

I'm not proud, I just like being here. I'm sure the OP means this as well. It's not like being proud of becoming a member of community. It's more like, "I like you, you, you and all the others too. I guess I'll hang around here. HIGHFIVE!"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2012, 07:28:06 am »

Being a chunk of the internet that's decent rather than terrible in that it's kept running reasonably smoothly isn't anything to feel great about.
Yes, it is. Although there's better neighbourhoods and worse ones, even within Bay12, having found a place where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came, even if it's just slightly above the deep mucktrenches that is the internet, is something to feel good about.
I see what you did there.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »

Isn't that the point of why we are all here? To have fun?

No, we're here to piss in each others' cheerios
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12