Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How frequently do you change usernames?

I have one username which I have always used.
- 76 (40.6%)
I have a set of usernames which I have always used.
- 52 (27.8%)
I have changed my username(s) one time.
- 27 (14.4%)
I have changed my username(s) two times.
- 9 (4.8%)
I have changed my username(s) three times.
- 6 (3.2%)
I have changed my username(s) four times.
- 5 (2.7%)
I have changed my username(s) five or more times.
- 12 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Username Permanence  (Read 14382 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Username Permanence
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 12:21:16 am »

When I first started online I used another name but it turned out to be really common so I swapped to the one I use today and have used variations of it since or just my real first name.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 12:28:53 am »

I've pretty much always used this one, as it is my IRL last name. Which will probably bite me in the ass some day, particularly since certain methods of a google search for my last name and university brings up my bay12 profile on the first page of results, but ah well. It's mostly a result of being terrible at coming up with names on the spot, so I just default to this one. It's an uncommon last name, so it's rarely taken.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 12:30:25 am »

You know, all of you who are worried about your usernames containing elements of your real name that could be used to track you down would have much less reason to worry if you didn't broadcast that fact.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 12:44:06 am »

I have no online anonymity.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 12:52:57 am »

I've had a few different names, that I tend to change when I feel I've gained enough maturity to have to distance myself from the previous identity.  I will never go back to being Doormatt, which was my first iteration, but Neut was recent enough that I could go back to it and feel ok about it.  I also have a name that I use when I don't care about separating online and outworld personalities.
However, Remalle has been used in increasingly major ways for... well over half a decade, and I identity with the name enough that I would probably change my name to it if I didn't care about separation of online and outworld life.  I like the idea of choosing my own name, and through the name, identity.  Probably keep this name for a long time.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 12:55:51 am »

Does anyone really? There's probably a CIA agent watching me through my laptop's camera, sitting here on the couch in khakis, a dress shirt and tie.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 12:57:03 am »

There are not enough people working at the CIA to spy on random internet users. There aren't enough people working for all the intelligence agencies on the planet to waste time doing that. You are anonymous in the sense that a specific grain of sand is anonymous on a beach.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 12:57:44 am »

Does anyone really? There's probably an advertising agency watching me through my laptop's camera, sitting here on the couch in khakis, a dress shirt and tie.
FTFY

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 12:59:00 am »

Most of my usernames are simply some sort of important/leadership role (King, Emperor, Fuhrer, ect.) followed by DZA. I think I've had maybe three usernames in all my years on the internet that don't follow this pattern. It started when I was still new to the World Wide Web, and was signing up for Runescape. I wanted something personalized, but also medieval-esque, since I thought it would be silly to have a non-medieval sounding name in a game that seemed to take place in such a time period.
As a bonus, I'm fairly certain I'm the only DZA on the internet, and thus never have to worry about my desired name being taken.

On a side note, it perplexes me how often I've been asked what DZA is supposed to mean, as it has always seemed fairly obvious to me.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 01:06:50 am »

For the ten or so years I've been faffing around on the internet, I've gone through lord knows how many names. I tend to associate names with  history or narratives or whatnot, and each new name is a narrative break.

I've been the same way about nick-names in real life. Different circles of friends know me by different names.

which makes it awkward in certain situations.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 01:11:23 am »

I just use screen names that are bland, neutral and unremarkable. Just to avoid any kind of prejudged reaction or generalizations that could be made by just looking at a screen name.

Rather my comments be taken for what they are worth without any sort of extraneous notions attached by developing a reputation or making some sort of character out of a screen name.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 01:12:22 am »

I've gone through about three or four major changes over the pas (ten or twelve?) years I've been inclined to create accounts. I can tell how old an account I have is by the username, generally.

It's more a case of growing past the need for one name to define an online persona, and evolving into another as my views and priorities change, I suppose. Besides, nobody knew who "Pogo the Monkey" was past my middle school years, and that email still gets looks/comments if I give it out.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:14:46 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 01:23:24 am »

Pogo the Monkey with the banana cannon? :) Anyone who played GTA3 with the radio on probably remembers that, though maybe not as vividly as Lazlow.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 01:24:52 am »

I've used MrWiggles for longer then 10 years. Well, generally its MrWigggles. But the third G is almost always glossed over.

Its even my Avatar. I've been meaning to get a third one, with some better anti aliasing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 02:38:58 am »

I don't understand how you could stand to use the first username you ever created absolutely everywhere forever. These days I go by Kadzar everywhere, except when it's been already taken by either my Brazilian or French dopplegangers, or I just need or want a new one, in which case I either add Tathram to the end somehow or make something up. But it took me a while to get there.

I think one of my first usernames was for Neopets, Zesi2001. I quickly learned the folly of adding a date to your username, in that it eventually becomes outdated. Good if you want to know when you made the account, I'll admit.

Sometime before or after that I was Kipro Navochidun (or something like that. It's been a while; all I remember concretely is the first part, because I had accidentally switched the "p" and "r" around). That was on the Alternative Reality Writers Zone on EZ Board, which was this awesome shared world freeform roleplay, where you had to submit things like races and ships to keep people from spontaneously pulling stupidly overpowered crap out of nowhere. And there were different sections for the sci-fi world and the fantasy world and the superhero world. Too bad everything apparently got wiped out by a hacker attack. Now it seems to just be some sort of semi-respectable writers workshop.

After that, I probably made quite a lot of usernames in various places, though none of them were very memorable, except for Liku in Dragon Fable, which became the name of my Martial Artist in Anarchy Online.

I don't think xkcd was the first place I used the username Kadzar online (I know I at least used it in Adventure Quest, though I don't remember which predates which), but it was the first time I used it as a forum name. I also used it as the name of my first character in Anarchy Online. (well, technically it wasn't my first, since I had a character on my oldest sister's account years ago, I think probably when it first offered the basic game as free to play.)

Then, between that and Bay 12, I was Cyrus Corlett on wildwestonline, which was based around an 3D app that was meant to be part of a larger MMO (it was a wild west duel mini-game, which was also browser-based in that you used the browser to access the store and adjust your equipment and  upgrade and pick your abilities. It was actually a pretty good game in and of itself). I became active in the RP boards in that game, which were unique in that you played one character throughout and posted in various threads that were different locations in the singular RP world. So you would post in the Saloon and then go out to the street and post there and then go to the sheriff's, for example.

The GMs could be a bit shitty at times, so eventually I became involved in a sort of People's Front of Judea, which involved the creation of a new, separate board created by one of my co-conspirators where we could discuss the GMs without fear of somehow being monitored (I'm not sure if they could actually read our PMs, but whatevers). Not long after that I left the place, though things must have worked out well, because when I checked back later on, the guy who had made the separate board had been made a moderator, and things seemed to be okay.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:32:47 am by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10