Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How frequently do you change usernames?

I have one username which I have always used.
- 76 (40.6%)
I have a set of usernames which I have always used.
- 52 (27.8%)
I have changed my username(s) one time.
- 27 (14.4%)
I have changed my username(s) two times.
- 9 (4.8%)
I have changed my username(s) three times.
- 6 (3.2%)
I have changed my username(s) four times.
- 5 (2.7%)
I have changed my username(s) five or more times.
- 12 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Username Permanence  (Read 14361 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Username Permanence
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »

I'm a twofer (Well technically a three-fer, but one of them is just my second with the space taken out for character limits). I've used i2amroy since I started, but then I picked up OtherPlayers for all of my newer stuff. (In case your wondering it was because I used to have the slowest comp of all my friends, thus when we gamed their loading bars would always say "waiting for other players" and thus my username was born. :P)

Of course I have a few others that have been force assigned to me, such as my school email and such, but I don't really count those.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2012, 08:24:31 pm »

Technically, I'm a two-fer, but my other one only saw use back in my RS days. This one stemmed from when I was trying to find an XBL username that was neither generic nor taken, and it shortened easily, so I kept it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2012, 05:00:51 pm »

Oh god, I miss AQ/DF/Mechquest. I was there from the very start :D Mech and DF are very recent compared to AQ, AQ's been around for friggin' ages.

I played AQ, DF and Mechquest, ohh those great times of glory.
Same with Runescape, idk what is Neopets though.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »

AQ, DragonFable, ArchKnight
Runescape
Neopets

Heh. Neopets was one of the first 'virtual pet' websites. It's now owned by Viacom iirc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »

My first username was on Runescape IIRC (I have completely forgotten what it was)

My second username, which still survives somewhat, was GameFAQs

And my current one is from Some Guy On Team Fortress 2 With A Gorilla In His Avatar.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2012, 06:46:18 pm »

I've been Fniff since I was 8 and on a Fallout Fanon Wiki. I was kinda an arse, as you might guess. Fniff is my real name (Finn) reversed (Niff) with an F in front (Fniff). It's meant to be pronounced "Fa-Niff". When that's somehow already taken, I use either The Minkey (Based off the Pink Panther films) or the Minkeyful.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2012, 07:04:13 pm »

I use Yoink for everything. When someone else has taken it I make elaborate mental plots to murder them. :P
It came about with the first account I ever made for anything, Neopets. I liked Scooby Doo. Yeah. 'Yoink' was taken, though, so it became Yoink86. I still use Yoink86 whenever Yoink is taken.

When Facebook rejected my real name (That hurt; being told my name was so weird it couldn't possibly be real) I started using Yoink there, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »

I still don't gt how facebook rejects names. Me and a a friend made an obviously fake one ages ago and it was perfectly fine with it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »

I still don't gt how facebook rejects names. Me and a a friend made an obviously fake one ages ago and it was perfectly fine with it.

Relevant to this (if not the thread as a whole) is such as "Ahmed Ronaldo", who popped up during an investigation that I'd recently been reading about...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »

Well, the amusing part is that it accepted Yoink as a real name. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »

I've been using "DrKillPatient" or some minor variation of it (e.g. "Dr. KillPatient) since... 2009 or so? My first notable username was just some amalgamation of initials at the time. I do not remember my exact reasons for switching, but I can definitely guess: I have somewhat mild OCD, although enough to get irritated when people pronounce things incorrectly (interestingly, this also holds true for incorrect/unnecessary/redundant terminology, such as "raining cats and dogs", "it is what it is", and euphemistic language in general), and my username was likely not easily pronounceable. I switched names shortly after I started playing games that use microphone communication-- TF2, I think (oddly, the Medic is/was my least-played class, despite my name)-- so I suppose that's the reason, anyway. A good friend of mine had the name of "Dr. KillPatient" when we played around with multiplayer in RigidChips, a sort of vehicle simulation game, several years ago. He chose a different username when we moved on to other games, and I took his, for reasons unknown to me.

I can't think of anything that I frequent in which I don't use my current name. Youtube, maybe, but even then I haven't used that account much since the Google merge. As for the permanence of this name, my "online" personality isn't vastly different from my "real" one (parenthesis-laden rambling monologues and all!), as is the case with some people. It's a bit more exaggerated, perhaps. Regardless, I don't see any reason to change it any time soon, as I think that I would only do so if my persona changed significantly.

On another note, I don't see usernames as too important, except maybe as a first impression, because after a while you get to like/dislike the personality behind the name without all the extra barriers that are found in the "real" world: appearance, race, economic class, religion or lack thereof, personal interests, etc. (All things that, I think, can cause biases even in people who don't consciously intend to have them.) That's a very interesting and valuable feature of the internet for me. I might dislike all but one of someone's interests, and yet we can potentially have a pleasant discussion on that one shared preference without anything else getting in the way, because it's up to each of us to choose what we want to reveal or say about ourselves. That's not something that I could see happening so easily anywhere else.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:37:48 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »

I use variations on the name Jack because Jackrabbit was my first true internet identity and I feel extremely attached to it.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2012, 10:35:49 pm »

I have had the same name since the beginning of my journey throu- Why do I keep trying to be poetic!?

Anyway, I have had this for username, well, everywhere I've ever been and I have never changed it. I got the name from when I was a wee little one, where I came up with an island called Mageziya [ma-gE-Z-ya], so when I joined my first online thing, I choose it for my username. Even though it seems like gibberish.

Whatever, it's nice though since I never have to worry about it being taken, AND I get to laugh at peeps as they try to pronounce it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2012, 08:53:56 am »

I use whatever pops into my head with no particular regard to theme, though I used to use "Zyran" and variations quite frequently.
[/post]

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:51 am »

Heh. I first picked 'Tack' in grade school because i figured it would 'sound' really cool to be playing an online game and have a person say 'Yo Tack!'.

And then when I first found runescape, Tack was taken... About... 460700 times. So, still having a huge dislike of all numbers, I made my username as 'Takeatack'.
And it was terrible.

Anyway, since B12, I've kept to Tack, or Tack22. (And so began the puns)
So yeah. I have no internet anonymity. Which I guess is a good thing, more than it is a bad. Everyone's had their 'Teenage' phase, but not many people have ever had to account for it, which was pretty harrowing intriguing. And when you've got the same username over multiple games, boards, and other internet entertainment assortments, it makes you Reeeal careful with what you say. Because there's always the chance of someone from one forum finding out something that you didn't share with the people on another forum, and that could get interesting. But yeah, while being forced into honesty and accountability are not the most fun things in the world, I guess it makes me a bit more careful with my words than someone who can pull a huge screw up, and then drop his username, grab a new one, and start over.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10