Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How frequently do you change usernames?

I have one username which I have always used.
- 76 (40.6%)
I have a set of usernames which I have always used.
- 52 (27.8%)
I have changed my username(s) one time.
- 27 (14.4%)
I have changed my username(s) two times.
- 9 (4.8%)
I have changed my username(s) three times.
- 6 (3.2%)
I have changed my username(s) four times.
- 5 (2.7%)
I have changed my username(s) five or more times.
- 12 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Username Permanence  (Read 14358 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Username Permanence
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2012, 02:34:55 am »

I am the Vicomt. Always have been and always will be. Les Liasons Dangereuses for the source. I identified with Valmont for many reasons, many years ago. I guess he's still in my head somewhere.

I needed a female character when Eve-Online went from Beta to Live so Vicarrah was born and now I use either depending on availability.

Anyway, just call me Vic ;)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2012, 03:08:10 am »

Started out with Neopets, then Runescape. Different name on each, before my late-middle school/early high school fascination with Soviet Russia happened, leading up to the 'Red' in my current user name (Originally for Xbox Live before I converted to PCism). However, the meaning has been lost, and now I want something unique, shorter, without numbers.

In soviet russia, username makes you!

(sorry, couldnt resist...)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2012, 03:45:58 am »

My first real username was Mezzy, which came from a game of Morrowind I played where I was a high elf named Mezzy with that teardrop haircut and a purple warhammer.  I'd go around screaming "Mezzy!" and jumping off buildings to kill people with my purple warhammer.

Then at some point later I changed it to Muffles, i think I heard someone say it and it sounded funny.

I was originally Muffles here until FORUM MADNESS, and then I was Cthulhu.

Janet started calling me squid, and since Cthulhu was always taken I started using permutations on Squid.
Shoes...

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2012, 04:05:45 am »

I started with my brother's nickname for me, when I was younger. It was 0todd0 or 0_todd_0.
After I started taking interesting in Dungeons and Dragons, I came up with Arkenphantose for a dragon's name and thought it was cool so I used it. I also went by Arkenphant, when the full version was too long.
Then, one day, I was making a D&D character for a friends campaign, and trying to come up with a name for him and ended up with Jack Bread.
Now I'm always JackBread, Jack_Bread, or JackWBread if the first two versions are taken for some reason. (Only twice was it taken, once by some random guy on Gaia Online, the other by myself on XBL.)

On a different note, once, and only once, on a public forum, I went by my full first and last name. My sister called me stupid, but I didn't want to change it. Now I can't remember the password to it to delete it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:09:05 am by Jack_Bread »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:25 am »

Regarding usernames with numbers in...  Never used them[1].  Which:
a) Shows me to be old, because when I started, it was (aside from being pre-web) not common for places to be heavily-subscribed and thus a "norm" that you'd have to choose a numeric add-on to your chosen handle (no matter how obscure the dictionary or near-dictionary word or name you might wish to use) to differentiate yourself from a million others with the same idea,
b) May also show me to be non-populist, as since the great explosion in the Internet's popularity[2] then I've heavily resisted all those popular Web2.0-type places.  (Facebook?  No.  Twitter?  No.  LinkedIn, Foursquare, Skype, etc.?  No, no and no, etc....  Call me a Luddite if you want[4].  You'd be not far wrong.)

(Let's see.  Neopets = 1999, Runescape = 2001, AdventureQuest = 2002 (never even heard of that one, thought you meant the 1970s thing, at first...). No, completely missed those crazes, even if I were to know what they are.  GameFAQs, which I have used, within the last decade and a bit on a read-only basis, dates as late 1995; which is pretty ancient, when it comes to the Web (and looked it, being nice pure monospace fonted text documents as befits the technical site that it essentially is, whenever I've checked it out), but occurred during my period of Internet Hiatus when I wasn't regularly connecting to use the matured (and by now 'Eternal September'ed) Usenet or the fledgling Web, but before any normal person that I knew had any idea about the Web (or Gopher, or FTP or Usenet) or what the "@" symbol even looked like...)

Erm, I might be missing the point of this thread, now...  Please ignore that, if I am.

SSooo...

You have multiple usernames for every place you visit?
If that was to me, indeed I generally have a single username for each place I visit (main exception already foot-noted in OP), but each place I visit pretty much getting its own username (sometimes to a relevant theme) thus multiple usernames across my whole Internet Presence(TM).  (In fact, while I also tend to use differently formulaic passwords, I do know I actually have identical passwords for non-identical account-names, but none of that being anywhere that it remotely matters, and for far more casual places than I consider this forum to be...)

Not only that, but I tend to register different email addresses (usually from my same I-own-everything domain, but different names before the '@') for every place I need to.  Useful to know who is spamming me (or who the spammers pinched my address from), or, at least, lets me quarantine a spammed address (whether or not I change the one that I register with, on the offending site, to see if it's just a one-off thing) so that I can perma-ignore them.  Last time I had bother (rare, as I'm not one to fling myself onto every online place's books, as already described) it was an address I'd used on a Job Hunting site that started to get multiple spams about how to Advertise (probably Spam) My Business Better.  Wrong target?  Well, certainly in my case. ;)

[1] Chosen names usernames, leastwise, as student accounts for the Unix/VAX/etc servers were department-prefixed and the remainder being a number serially assigned upon demand and recipients had zero say in what they might be...

[2] Way past the Eternal September, and further past the time when you actually started to see these "URL" things on advertising hoardings, and then AOL floppies[3] started coming through the door.  Darnit, this is also making me feel old.

[3] Later, CDs, making much better coasters and could also be made into shiny Christmas decorations. ;)

[4] I've used Ludd as an identifier, but only for a transient avatar in a Flash game[5]

[5] Two pairs of tanks, side-view, shooting at each other with basic elevation/power control, wind effects and the like.  Named identification just there to facilitate the inbuilt chat between the randomly grouped allies/opponents.  Been ages since I've played it, forgotten what it's called or where I'd find it, if it even still exists...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2012, 01:54:01 pm »

"Valican", is an anagram of my real first name with an extra vowel thrown in.
I hope you weren't hoping to maintain anonymity behind the fiendish difficulty of that puzzle.
I dunno, I just took out the X and added in an extra L and noone's managed to solve that anagram yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »

Leafsnaix?
Xeafsnail?
Xiansfael?
Liansfeax?
Snaixleaf?
Snailxeaf?
Faelxians?
Feaxlians?

...that's it, Felix, I'm completely out of ideas... ;)

Unless you live in and work for and devote your life/owe your existence to Nasa, of course.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2012, 02:32:17 pm »

It was actually a test to find would-be internet stalkers.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »

Felix Sana?

Google's telling me that's a real name, though there are a few of them.

Of course it could be Felix NASA. Are you a scientist, Leafsnail?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2012, 03:05:55 pm »

Woah we have all the people here.

I am ZChris13. Always have been, always will be, since I was 13. Which is where that particular number came from.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:02 pm »

I've probably used five or more names over the years.  These days I try to come up with new ones each time I come to a new place.  I remember using Starking for a while because it was a pokemon I came up with (the evolution of Starmie of course ^_^ all the water types end up with a "king" in their names...).  Then Goldstarking for Runescape and Ragnarok Online for a while, then I switched to Euld in RO, Ragnarok Wisdom, and for here.  I came up with CowChips for League of Legends, and I use that on Wakfu too.  And I know there are other names I forgot about on other games and forums I forgot about.  And in case anyone asks:

Starking - Pokemon I came up with, evolution of Starmie (or alternative evolution for Staryu I suppose?)
Goldstarking - my dad made this up for our first Comcast account, I started using it everywhere
Euld - take "blue," reverse it, and change the b into a d
CowChips - my favorite brand of cookie is the Cow Chip cookie, it's a small business in the area that makes some serious dough (haaaaaaaaaaaaa!) during the Puyallup Fair.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »

Huh, I always thought Euld was one of those vaguely nordic names.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2012, 04:04:06 pm »

Felix Sana?
...I hadn't actually considered Felix as a possibility.  Well done on unscrambling a randomly set joke anagram though, that's impressive.

Of course it could be Felix NASA. Are you a scientist, Leafsnail?
Not devoted enough a scientist to name myself after NASA :(.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

LEAFSNAIL IS A NOBODY

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2012, 06:37:33 pm »

Specifically, organization 13. The non-organization nobodies don't put x's in their name (see: what's her face generic love interest's nobody).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10