Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adman's Race and Material's Mod  (Read 3524 times)

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adman's Race and Material's Mod
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:53:48 pm »

I noticed some people have actually downloaded this! So I am opening a forum thread for discussions, comments, suggestions, etc.

**If you experience any crashes or obvious bugs please report them in this thread!!**

Download it here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6508

Here's the jist of it:

Something I've been toying around with lately, finally finished making all of the changes I wanted to make for but have not had a chance to do any testing yet-

This is the complete game built on top of the latest version of Ironhand's great set (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.0;topicseen)

This makes lots of changes, reorganizing the civilzations and adding new playable civilizations:

Hill Dwarves:
These are a tweaked version of your normal dwarf except that they live above ground. They do not mind being outdoors and should (if everything is working correctly) embark with above ground seeds :-D

Duergar:
Dwarves evil cousins. Play pretty much the same as your everyday dwarf except MORE EVIL!! >:) >:) They play nicely with Dragonkin and Dark Elves and make war with everyone else. Oh and they eat sentient creatures. (enjoy the sieges)

Humans:
Made slight modifications to humans to make them more player friendly and civ-controlable.

Civs have been reorganized:

Dwarves (same as before)
Hill Dwarves (above ground dwarves)
Duergar (a type of Dwarf with evil ethics)
Wild Dwarves (filthy dirty hippie dwarves)
Humans (same as before)
Wood Elves (same old elves, different name)
High Elves (Elves that aren't afraid to use metal weapons)
Dark Elves (Elves with evil ethics)
Spider Folk (giant talking spider's, because why not?)
Dragonkin (this might of been a terrible idea)
Goblins (now playable in adventure mode)
Kobolds (also playable in adventure mode)

Also made a slew of other races and some mosters playable in adventure mode **Some monsters are VERY poorly suited to adventuring, i.e. NO HANDS!**

Added new colors of marble, because I like marble.

Added a butt-ton of new metals including various steel alloys, some metals from fantasy/gaming and a couple i just made up - (the names are placeholders, may change - I'm not terrible happy with the names I am currently using Arkanite, Hyperborium - these are dumb, i need better names) :roll:

I think that about sums up the changes - if any off these interest you feel free to give it a shot.

Change log: 0.14: Increased cool-down on Spider Folk web; Electrum can be made back into gold and silver now; Added lots of new sprites for Duergar
Change log: 0.13: Spider folk have been given hands and now hold weapons and tools and are generally more useful; Added new mega-beasts (3 new types of hydra); Drugar now correctly renamed Duergar.
Change log: 0.12x: Tiny tweak to some graphics that didn't line up correctly.
Change log: 0.12: Made Drugar playable; Made Humans playable; Changed the way the races interact with each other - Dragonkin, Drugar and Dark Elves are now aligned against the other races; tweaked Dragonkin's firebreath - much less powerful now; added more graphics for Drugar
Change log: 0.11: Fixed a game crashing bug the would occur when launching Fortress Mode
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 01:19:58 am by acaerofox »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Adman's Race and Material's Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »

Spider Folk (giant talking spider's, because why not?)
Do they have high pitched voices, and are based on Spiderweb's Exile/Anverum friendly spiders? If yes epic sauce.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:18:18 pm »

They don't but good suggestion, they aren't very fleshed out at the moment but I want to do more work with them for sure.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:35:04 pm »

I should add that this seems to be causing a large number of rejected worlds, I believe it has something to do with the game having to place so many different civilizations on the map. Sometimes I get a world on the 3rd try, sometimes I don't get one until the 51st try.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:48:52 pm »

Well, this is fun, I've just discovered that somehow during the process of packing this up and uploading it I seem to of broken it somehow. Everything was working fine, now I seem to be getting "Dwarf Fortess Has Stopped Working" Errors.

Looks like I have my first fix on my hand's - hope to have this sorted out in two shakes.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 09:30:16 pm »

Posted a fix to the game crashing problem from earlier - apologies to anyone the might of downloaded the broken version of this mod.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 10:30:59 pm »

Dragonkin? You say?

A long time ago when z-levels just came out (ok not that long ago) i made a custom civ called dragonkin. They were a little op, but because of thier ethics they were either imidietly destroyed or would obiterate all life.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »

These probably similar to what you made - they have the same breath attack as dragons... which I would like to see how that plays out. Maybe I should tone it down, maybe not- this is still very much being tested. They are also human sized and should use human equipment. Also they fly...  They are fun adventurers  :D

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:08:51 am »

Soooo Hill Dwarves.

They are working. They embark with above ground food and they like being outdoors, just as planned, but they just don't feel different enough from regular dwarves. I feel almost like I'm playing a cheater version of dwarves, there are no drawbacks for what has been added-

And it's not unexpected but the emissary still jabbers on about the mountain home, not sure if there is a way to fix that.

One work around I tried was changing the entity in the raws from MOUNTAIN to PLAINS, seemed like it could work, right? This however had the bizarre side effect of changing the dwarves into humans. In every way human - it was very strange.

This got me thinking, much as i like hill dwarves and seeing their cities popup on the map they just really arn't different enough from normal dwaves to make it worth them being a second playable race.

Humans on the otherhand, I see alot of potential for them. Lots. I think the next thing I will work on is purposely making humans a playable race and making the hill dwaves adventure mode only.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:45:40 am »

Soooo Hill Dwarves.

They are working. They embark with above ground food and they like being outdoors, just as planned, but they just don't feel different enough from regular dwarves. I feel almost like I'm playing a cheater version of dwarves, there are no drawbacks for what has been added-

And it's not unexpected but the emissary still jabbers on about the mountain home, not sure if there is a way to fix that.

One work around I tried was changing the entity in the raws from MOUNTAIN to PLAINS, seemed like it could work, right? This however had the bizarre side effect of changing the dwarves into humans. In every way human - it was very strange.

This got me thinking, much as i like hill dwarves and seeing their cities popup on the map they just really arn't different enough from normal dwaves to make it worth them being a second playable race.

Humans on the otherhand, I see alot of potential for them. Lots. I think the next thing I will work on is purposely making humans a playable race and making the hill dwaves adventure mode only.

Why not make them weaker below-ground in order to encourage above-ground play?  [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER] can allow you to add minor (or major) drawbacks from them living underground too long.
Although that doesn't sound very dwarfy...
And the emissary will always speak about the mountain home, just as the intro screen will always refer to your people as dwarves.  They're hard-coded quotes.  Nothing can be done about it (not through the raws anyway), so just ignore it.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:35:31 am »

Posted new version today - made alot of changes-

The big ones are:
    Humans are now playable
    Drugar (the evil dwarves) are now playable
    The good and evil races are now at constant war with each other. Goblins, despite my efforts, are still at war with everyone (I wonder if this is hard-coded?)

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 03:02:46 am »

Now that I am fairly happy with how the civs are behaving I would like to go back and play with the creatures some more. For some reason I have the idea of hydra with an ice breath stuck in my head.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 03:39:18 am »

Someone pointed out the correct spelling is "Duergar" - This had been added to my list of things to fix.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:16:03 am by acaerofox »

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 04:32:52 am »

Currently testing what will be version 0.13:  I was playing as Duergar when a Dark Elven caravan was attacked by a Wild Dwarf ambush. I have to say I was quite pleased to see my meddling in action.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:02:15 am »

I'd make the spider-folk a bit more anthropomorphic. At least drider-like. (Drivers are D&D monsters that are pretty much half-drow, half-spider, a la centaur.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2