Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress and adventure  (Read 485 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress and adventure
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »

You already replied... but well, I find it so bad that it is not possible to play stop for a while your fortress to go for a bit of adventure...

I know, it is quite complicated to see how to do that, and if I really want, I can already play in 2 different worlds : one for DF, the other for the adventure. But these 2 are not connected. You can also retire your adventurer...

So why not do a stuff like that for the fortress ? The idea would not to freeze everything until you come back, but maybe consider it in the same way as the other villages during the world generation time : depending on what the player has done, the diplomatic relationship... Some events, could occur randomly to you fortress, while your raoming the country has an adventurer. When you go back to it, there could be some random changes (some dwarf are dead, new have come, maybe a few tunnel have been dugged, some workshop have changed location...)

If this is done it would even be possible to have more than one fortress in the world, and play for exemple one year with one, one year with the other (so imagine a kind of Play by mail... hmm might be bit too much yet)

Well well well ok I know there is already a huuuuge req and bloat list.

Beowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress and adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »

Now we can only lose all dwarves or abandon[all dwarves leave], right (maybe there's a 'winning' ending like getting a king/queen I dunno)?
What about a 'retire from managing' just like 'abandon'[you cannot get back to playing this fort]but then have it be like flap suggests:
quote:
consider it in the same way as the other villages during the world generation time

i.e. have the dwarves mill around there.

Not just ruins to scavenge, but forts with traps and dwarves with weapons to defend its riches. You try to take from mine.. build a fort for me.. and I see if you managed to get anything from mine till you send the world back and I try yours...   :D

warf mode exists for giving you a break from and to supply sites and stuff for Adventure mode!

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:06:00 pm »

It'd be neat to "retire" and build a new caravan.  Say you build up a nice fort in a safe area, you can sacrifice your fort for a slightly better caravan when heading to an unsafe area.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »

Yeah, like I said, this is non-trivial to implement (unless it's just sort of a retire permanently thing, but that wrecks some later game stuff -- I'm not sure if anybody has discovered what I mean yet, since you have to go through a number of games).  I was thinking of supporting things like this whenever I get around to human town mode.  If your adventurer can found a settlement, you'd definitely want to be able to skip out and come back again.  It's not as important as getting the basics in though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!