Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embers of Caerus  (Read 1496 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embers of Caerus
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:17:51 am »

Saw this Kickstarter, Embers of Caerus.

It looked fun despite being an MMORPG until I read this line: "Full loot, open PvP combat." So does that mean that the gear I spent eighty hours of gametime accumulating can just be taken from me after someone PvP's me? Do people really want that?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forsakenstudios/embers-of-caerus-investor-prototype
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Embers of Caerus
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:27:55 am »

I don't know, if they went dayZ with it, and made gear readily available in the gameworld, why not. I'm more worried about the lack of gameplay video, and even the engine demo seemed a bit sluggish. Also, i hate his keyboard with a passion.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:26:52 am »

Saw this Kickstarter, Embers of Caerus.

It looked fun despite being an MMORPG until I read this line: "Full loot, open PvP combat." So does that mean that the gear I spent eighty hours of gametime accumulating can just be taken from me after someone PvP's me? Do people really want that?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forsakenstudios/embers-of-caerus-investor-prototype

I totally dig this mentality from games like UO and Darkfall. There are many who don't, but kickstarter is for finding niches.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:37:59 am »

So does that mean that the gear I spent eighty hours of gametime accumulating can just be taken from me after someone PvP's me? Do people really want that?

If they go WoW and all gear no character then its not nice. But if it means that having a good character rather than flaming holy shiny sword of trolling 5+, why not.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 09:56:00 am »

Yeah I love games with full loot, open PVP. It's the difference between a game with no consequences and a game that gives decisions weight. As people have said it only really works if the game is designed around it though, adding that system into WoW would be a disaster. But in a game where your equipment isn't the major defining attribute of your character it's amazing.

Games with systems like these are also generally designed in a way that the driving force of the narrative is the players. Your choices, and the interaction with other players, is what shapes the experience. Contrast with theme park style MMOs where the gameplay is designed to be almost entirely developer-driven.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:23:52 am »

If they can strike a sweet spot combining elements from UO, DAOC, Wurm, and EVE then they could have a winner on their hands, but with four years estimated before release it's too early for them to have anything to back up their promises that a good game will emerge.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

Yeah, nobody has hit the sweet spot yet.
If somebody eventualy manages to do that, the internet will just explode.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 11:41:12 am »

the project, as presented, is just a dream and a few weeks work getting a graphics engine running. For all we know, these guys could just be learning as they go.

Whats there really to talk about here? I for one am cautious from experience, there are many dreams in the world of gaming and few actually emerge to success.
I got nothing