Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beyond Quality  (Read 5297 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Beyond Quality
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:17:27 am »

When you start up the game, it says "Beyond Quality" after bay12games. What does it mean?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Milcheax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Quality
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:27:38 am »

Play any newer games that were sponsored by Nvidia?

They have a splash screen slogan that says "The way it's meant to be played."

Same thing - just a slogan.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:32:32 am »

Specifically, I think it's a semi-ironic slogan. Seems in line with the Adams brothers' sense of humor.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:35:46 am »

Specifically, I think it's a semi-ironic slogan. Seems in line with the Adams brothers' sense of humor.
Are you implying the Adams brothers games aren't quality? If so.
0/10 Apply yourself.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:44 am »

Ha ha no. DF is pretty much the only video/computer game that I enjoy playing.

But "Beyond Quality" can be interpreted in more than one way, and I think that that's purposeful.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 09:06:37 am »

I think it means they produce only top notch games without any bugs.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:07:51 am »

When you start up the game, it says "Beyond Quality" after bay12games. What does it mean?

Same thing - just a slogan.

Actually, if you play it backwards you'll find the easter egg.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:29:04 am »

What is beyond Quality? Once we have surpassed quality, what lies in store?

Dwarf Fortress is Beyond Quality, obviously. What Dwarf Fortress has is what lies beyond quality, and it's apparent. Dwarf Fortress is not by any means a quality game, compared to industry legends such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, especially not compared to the highly acclaimed Call of Duty: Black Ops. Dwarf Fortress is not quality, because, indeed, Dwarf Fortress has no need for quality. It has transcended it. It has surpassed the need for quality. Much like how the Buddha has no need for earthly pleasures, Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress has no need for trivial pursuits such as quality. Dwarf Fortress is beyond quality.

What is beyond quality? A survey of the game provides us but a glimpse of what lies beyond quality. In a platform that no longer needs it, what else is left? Why, there is death. Nothing but death. Dwarf Fortress is a game of death, its players engaged in fervent deathworship, and beyond quality lies nothing more than the glorious enterprise of death.

That should answer your question, OP.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:43:54 am »

I think it means they produce only top notch games without any bugs.
Hahahahahaha.
But seriously the bugs themself are top notch.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »

I've always assumed it was randomly generated.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »

I always read it as the game being their artifact. You know, "theres masterwork, THEN, Thee artifact. We're that last one"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »

Are you implying the Adams brothers games aren't quality? If so.
0/10 Apply yourself.
They aren't quality. They are beyond quality.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 04:23:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »

Beyond quality may refer to the fact that:

1) The game is complex, and it is agreed that extra content needs to be added.
2) The game does not have advanced graphics, and isn't advertised except by the DF players who post their Let's Plays on the Iternets, and get other people into the game.

Many games you see on E3 have advanced graphics worked on by a large team of developers, but lack much complexity besides that. Most games do not change much between releases except for "rebalancing" and "expansion packs" and "additions", and whatever the players are able to mod into the games, which depends on the game engine. Dwarf Fortress has radical changes to the game engine every now and then that allow players to mod extra stuff into the game they wouldn't be able to mod in previously. Dwarf Fortress is open to players as an alpha, whilst most games you see on E3 might at best get released to the public to beta-test for a while.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

whale_biologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »

Someone should write their thesis on this
Pages: [1] 2