Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Strange Mood cherry-picking  (Read 5331 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood cherry-picking
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 11:47:28 am »

I had this dwarf with a strange mood, and he collected all the normal items for a craft mood, but no metal. I then noticed, while he was working on the mood, that wood was the first ingredient. Well, I didn't really care about this guy, so I decided to forbid the wood while he was working. Surprisingly, he didn't go insane. When he finished working, the artifact was made out of iron... of which I have none on my map... Very strange, that mood.

Moods will always default to iron if you forbid the base material after construction has begun.  So if your weaponsmith grabbed rope reed cloth as the base, forbid it and have a decent material for your new awesome weapon.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 11:55:00 am »

Presumably they default to iron because it's the first thing in the material list, though I've never tested this by slotting another material between [OBJECT:INORGANIC] and [INORGANIC:IRON].
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 12:04:24 pm »

Presumably they default to iron because it's the first thing in the material list, though I've never tested this by slotting another material between [OBJECT:INORGANIC] and [INORGANIC:IRON].

Place slade/candy in the first place and profit from the best weapon ever? :D
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »

I'd go for slade. Dive down quickly enough and you can pick up a few bars of adamantine for moods, but you can't get slade anything unless you have a temple.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 01:20:17 pm »

I'd go for slade. Dive down quickly enough and you can pick up a few bars of adamantine for moods, but you can't get slade anything unless you have a temple.
Well, somebody did soem science, getting slade blocks IS possible in some obscure way.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 01:20:57 pm »

I would try to do some testing if I weren't at work...
[DWARFINEERING]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 02:55:57 pm »

Well, somebody did soem science, getting slade blocks IS possible in some obscure way.
You need to dig up into an unrevealed tile. The only place you can do this is at the temple, as the slade you normally get is covered in a shell of revealed and undiggable tiles.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »

Its something to do with the fact the dwarves know they can't actually dig out slade so they don't try, but if you dig an upward ramp into the slade the dwarves don't know thats what it is so they are able to dig it, but not the newly revealed slade tiles next to it since they now know what it is.

I think its related to Douglas Adams' version of flying -- throw yourself at the ground ... and miss.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]