Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strange Mood cherry-picking  (Read 5343 times)

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood cherry-picking
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:15:29 pm »

I'm trying to devise a method to quickly get some artifact weapons made for a future fort to use. I'll deliver the weapons to the site of the fort with an adventurer, and then just start from there. Anyway, onto the topic.

My current method is starting an embark with everyone having at least novice weaponsmith, and having no other actual crafting skills. I make sure I start with all of the possible items used in creating an artifact (like glass), minus the metal. The only other skills used besides weaponsmithing and mining are those associated with the processing of metal. The miners dig up metals, and I hope that before the migrants come, one of the dwarves will enter a strange mood. When the migrants arrive, I abandon and re-embark. The only success I've had wasn't really a success, as it was a carpenter migrant that went into a strange mood right after he got in.

Has anyone attempted something similar to this before and can provide input? On a semi-related note, what is the mod that allows you to see all of the various materials at an embark site? This would be handy if I wanted an artifact platinum blunt weapon, and such.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood cherry-picking
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:19:11 pm »

You need 20 dwarves for strange moods. So you need migrants to come.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:06 pm »

Wow. That's a vital piece of information I did not know. It seems this still may be possible in a world with very little history, since that means most dwarves will come with no skills. One could train them to dabbling or novice (not sure what would be required) easily.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:34:21 pm »

You want to get DFhack, it will allow you to see all the materials once you embark

You sure about that, I've re-read the wiki twice now and it doesn't state how many dwarves you need. Iirc your first mood should be around the first autumn of your fortress. Receiving 2-7 dwarves in the first two waves rarely guarantees that you will have 20+ before fall.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:35:54 pm »

If you're not opposed to modding...

[ITEMCORPSE:<WEAPON NAME HERE>:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:<METAL NAME HERE>]
   [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5]

And slap that right beneath the raws of chickens or something.

Order the chickens or whatever to be slaughtered, and get the lovely image of your butchers finding battleaxe in their rabbit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »

You want to get DFhack, it will allow you to see all the materials once you embark

You sure about that, I've re-read the wiki twice now and it doesn't state how many dwarves you need. Iirc your first mood should be around the first autumn of your fortress. Receiving 2-7 dwarves in the first two waves rarely guarantees that you will have 20+ before fall.

Someone needs to fix the wiki; you NEVER get moods with <20 dwarves, and it's not always in the 1st autumn.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »

Well thank you for confirming, good information to know
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »

May want to throw some armorsmiths in there and disable skill rust. Though i dont know how much skill rust affects strange moods.

Also, if you are cherry picking for artifacts heres a cheaty way to reroll artifacts: Have the moody dwarf collect all the materials and just when he is about to bring the final material to the workshop, pause, save and let him begin working. Should the artifact not be a desireable one, shut down dwarf fortress and load the save.

Also:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31_Talk:Strange_mood#Possessed_Mood_Causes

And: I dont know how much having an event in the region to conmemorate (either from worldgen or from your fort happenings) influences the inciting of a strange mood but Ive seen a few posts with dwarves inmediately going into a strange mood to conmemorate a death as soon as it happens. As soon as you get 20 dwarfs try piting the excess in an interesting way to see if anything happens. You know. For Science.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:05:21 pm »

Make sure your mooding dwarves don't have any item preferences you don't want. I don't know if they'll always follow their preferences if possible, but if they like something and the mood they're in can produce it, odds are that that's what you'll get.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:38:42 pm »

Thanks, but I'd rather not mod for this one. This may make for some interesting experiments in the future though.

May want to throw some armorsmiths in there and disable skill rust. Though i dont know how much skill rust affects strange moods.

Also, if you are cherry picking for artifacts heres a cheaty way to reroll artifacts: Have the moody dwarf collect all the materials and just when he is about to bring the final material to the workshop, pause, save and let him begin working. Should the artifact not be a desireable one, shut down dwarf fortress and load the save.

Also:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31_Talk:Strange_mood#Possessed_Mood_Causes

And: I dont know how much having an event in the region to conmemorate (either from worldgen or from your fort happenings) influences the inciting of a strange mood but Ive seen a few posts with dwarves inmediately going into a strange mood to conmemorate a death as soon as it happens. As soon as you get 20 dwarfs try piting the excess in an interesting way to see if anything happens. You know. For Science.

Yeah, I just may do that rerolling method. I would have armorsmiths, but I feel like arming a few dwarves with ridiculous weapons may be more worthwhile (in terms of time efficiency) than slowly building up a suit of equipment for a single dwarf. Perhaps if these methods are fruitful, it would be worthwhile with the rerolling technique. I will definitely try out the commemoration thing.

Make sure your mooding dwarves don't have any item preferences you don't want. I don't know if they'll always follow their preferences if possible, but if they like something and the mood they're in can produce it, odds are that that's what you'll get.

I'll be sure not to atom smash the peasants that love candy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 12:18:59 am »

Not the material so much (I've read conflicting reports on how willing dwarves are to accept metal types outside their preference), but the item itself. A dwarf who likes shields is a better candidate for mood training than one who like bucklers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 06:06:08 am »

To go even further with the cherry-picking, if you have a dwarf who has been trained with some weaponsmithing skill, like warhammers/maces and they enter a mood, try to make sure the metal bar they first pick is of some heavy metal. Silver, lead, gold, platinum. I think that's the order of "lightest" to heaviest on the heavy metals. Whacking things with blunt weapons made out of those materials hurts a lot. Although you just can't beat a good old fashioned adamantine battleaxe.

Also, I vaguely recall that once you get 20 dorfs in the fort you are able to get moods even if your dorf number drops below 20. Although at the same time, I recall a 60-70 person fort that stopped getting artifacts after about 50 or whatever were made, so maybe you do need 20 people who haven't made artifacts to keep the rare moods rolling in.

Also also, if you are doing this just to get some adventurer-goods out of moods, remember to disable enemy invasions so you don't have to screw around with defenses and military.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:08:54 am by Ieb »

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 07:33:20 am »

a planepacked idea might work as well, while it won't change the item it will severally affect the value
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 08:15:52 am »

The artifact limit is tied to amount of tiles dug out, afair.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 10:09:29 am »

[ITEMCORPSE:<WEAPON NAME HERE>:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:<METAL NAME HERE>]
   [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5]

And slap that right beneath the raws of chickens or something.

Order the chickens or whatever to be slaughtered, and get the lovely image of your butchers finding battleaxe in their rabbit.

Or make it produce crossbow ammo, add it to rabbits, and produce the BoltBunny.  Something that helps you train your marksdwarves since it keeps them in ammo.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: [1] 2 3