Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do you name YOUR forts?  (Read 3441 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: What do you name YOUR forts?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 11:19:44 pm »

I just mash R until rng comes up with something that amuses me.

That's my approach too. 
Some favorites being Largebusts and Sacksizzled :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 03:33:44 pm »

Current is Lensden, which I like cause it rhymes. Dwarven name is somehow appealing as well. Cerollensham.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 05:32:34 pm »

First fortress was named "The Mists of Time", second one on a glacier was "Jade Castle" and now I'm digging deep into a scorching, terrifying desert building "Scorpionnest". I actually have pet giant scorpions!

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

I suscribe to the "hit random until funny". Then there's that glorious feel when "Archmurder" manages to live up to its name.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 09:24:55 pm »

I felt that way about "Cryptwind", which was built on a site partially subject to rains that dissolved internal organs.  Many slabs were built in that fortress, for migrants who never made it across the map.  Such an appropriate name doesn't often come along.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 10:51:23 pm »

unless i'm playing with some new idea i always name my forts Beard-Axe the Deep Halls of Drinking

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 10:59:48 pm »

Let the RNG spew names until one inspires me.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 03:20:26 am »

I tend to favor names with metals or minerals; I do the same thing with last names for my adventurers and military squads. But to get that name, I do a lot of randomizing and replace one half as necessary. My favorites are Bronzeshield, Silverbells, and Steelshark, though I occasionally get a name I have to leave as it is. Such as Safetydance.

More important to me is the group name: I hate having names that have multiple adjectives or "of" in them. The Crimson Wave, the Silver Blade, something simple and catchy.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 07:36:54 am »

RNG is god. My current fortname is guardedpick and it will be guarded using pickaxes. All of my fisherdwarfs get picks and are sent into the earth to "train". Legendary miners get drafted into military where their picks will be used to mine goblinite.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 09:09:48 am »

I usually name my forts satirically after where they're located and their purpose. I once made a citadel named "Defended defense the defended defenses of defending defenders" or something like that.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 10:51:23 am »

I usually name the fortress using some religious and/or alcoholic connotations, for instance my current fortress is named "Abbey of Ale". My local government (i.e. the group of founding dwarves) is named with some connection to weaponry or violence, for example "The Black Daggers".

whale_biologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 02:22:57 pm »

I believe in the prophetic powers of the RNG, example of it's powers at work

Fortress: Birdknives was constantly plagued by murders of Kea's, the fort came to an end when my first strangemood dwarf was a carpenter who created a coffin; as I was wondering who it would be for since no one had died yet the carpenter's wife was slain by an ambush. (the rest of the dwarves followed)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 02:29:05 pm »

I stick to dwarven syntax and try to make it vaguely related to the industries I want to use or the terrain and something dwarfy. Eg Murderfarmed MountainSlaughter StrongTowers etc..

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »

I never could figure out how to name my Fortress manually.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »

RNG must really love me : Ballbreak, awsome name but unfortunately the expedition got killed by zombie whales.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:38:31 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 [2] 3