Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's See If I Can Embarrass My Sister!  (Read 6256 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Let's See If I Can Embarrass My Sister!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 02:22:20 pm »

That... Doesn't make sense. Even in french.

Your Belgian French is not up to match!

To be honest, I hadn't investigated exactly how well translated those lines were before (the words are close enough to Swedish for me to make sense of it by context), but not that you made me double check at least Google Translate seems to be able to make sense of them pretty well.

Unless you're talking about the rest of the song. Because that's in Swedish.

Unless unless you're talking about how the lyrics don't make sense sense even if you understand the literal meaning. In which case I have to object, they make total sense. I can make it make sense if you make it clear to me what doesn't make sense.

No, somehow I've managed to derail my own/my sister's own thread :-\.

Yes. It is now about French. Which doesn't at all sound as a language. It should be Frenchish.

Also Punk Rock. And pogo.
Love, scriver~

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 02:27:33 pm »

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »

Actually, it's not that it doesn't make sense, it more than it feel like ti was translated from english through Google translate. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »

Hehe, it's an old song though so I doubt they had access to it... I also doubt anyone in the band is a native speaker. So it's most likely a case of badly translated school French ;)

Still an awesome song though. Would you mind telling me how it is wrong? Or rather how it should be I guess.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

Well, for starter it's "Le punkrock", not "la punkrock". "J'aime la musique superdur" don't actually mean anything. we just don't use "dur" for music. We'd actually say "hardcore". :D It's "Je danse toujours le pogo" and not "Toujours je danse le pogo". Oh, and I've never heard anyone say "Docteur Martens". Not once. Never. It's "Doc Martens" :p

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 05:19:20 pm »

W ell that last part is probably him making light of Frenchmen... Because obviously a Frenchman wouldn't say "Doc" when he can say "Docteur"? :P

On the other hand, I think they actually sing "le", and the song is named "le punkrocker". Bad transcription, bad. Thanks, anyway.
Love, scriver~

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 07:06:37 pm »

I think this is a pretty good summation of what Bay12 is like. We start by welcoming somebody to the forum, but end up discussing the translation of a French song.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 07:11:47 pm »

Someone in Quebec would probably rather say superdur (ultradur?) than hardcore.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 02:33:43 am »

It's true that those Quebecois are hardcore translators (Ooooops, I meant superdur traducteur). I'll ask one of my Quebecois acquaintance as soon as they show up of FB.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 06:39:17 am »

Hey.
Guys, hate to stop your fun, but you should probably rerail this thread, seeing as that guy made this thread to cheer up/moral boost his sister, and talking about french lyrics while the thread is about her writing is not all that much of a boost...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 07:02:10 am »

You're right, of course. I'm sorry for further detailing your thread, Allouette. I await your future sharing of writing, if you choose to share it, whether you post it here or in any of the other threads dedicated to writing here on the forums :)
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 07:03:20 am »

Yes, I apologize as well. Fanfics aren't exactly my cup of tea, but I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate your writership on those forums.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:51 am »

Solution: Write a Hetalia fanfic where Sweden tries to sing a song to France, but he's left totally confused.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 11:30:38 am »

Solution: Write a Hetalia fanfic where Sweden tries to sing a song to France, but he's left totally confused.
Or, have Canada have a cup of tea with Italy with discussions on their big brothers.

allouette

• Escaped Lunatic
  • This space looked empty, so I filled it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »

Ha, that one would actually be really funny. But, I think a discussion with South Italy would be more amusing.
This space was empty too. So, I'll just say hi. I'll change this when I come up with something to say. This is just a space filler.
I guess I'll say what I like. I love Game of Thrones, Hetalia, MLP, right now I'm on an Avengers kick.
Pages: 1 [2] 3