Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Masterspace - Someone may have beat Notch to "IT"  (Read 29596 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterspace - Someone may have beat Notch to "IT"
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2012, 02:08:00 pm »

Serious fail on the download front:

Clicking download now brings you to another screen.
Clicking download on that screen brings you to a popup.
Clicking download on the pop-up brings you to game-front.
Clicking download on gamefront gives you an error message.

Seriously....

pazuzu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »

There seems to be a bug with shovels and upgraded picks where it won't give you the resource you dig into, but whatever one you're standing closest to. The basic pick doesn't seem to have this problem, except very rarely.

The dev noted somewhere:
"The resource you are given when removing several blocks at once, e.g. with the shovel or a bomb, is based on what materials are removed. However, in order to avoid a lot of different materials appearing as "resource balls", the resources you get are arranged into larger pieces, which may appear random. This works approximately the follwing way: If you dig away 9 dirt and 1 sand, it is a 9/10 chance you get 10 dirt and 1/10 chance you get 10 sand. I agree this system is a bit unintuitive, and needs to be reworked in the future."

I haven't found a good way to dump the excess grass and stone. I end up making more and more crates/containers.

I agree on the music, its just too crazy. I turned it straight off.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2012, 01:37:41 am »

I would really like to try this game out. It looks promising.

Unfortunately, I have bluescreened 3 times. This makes it difficult.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2012, 12:58:52 pm »

The only really good way I've found to get rid of grass is to build it(blocks or terrain, it doesn't matter) and then shoot it with a laser. Stone can be destroyed by using it to build a furnace, and whacking the furnace with a pickaxe.

I was also wrong about the game not showing the current fps, it was right there at the top of the status box(press F4), which I wasn't looking at. Even so, I'm still seeing fps of 300-400, so there should be no reason turning anything but dynamic lighting(which otherwise should be very resource intensive) kills the framerate.

Also, is there any way to control elevators? The automatically float to my height, but kinda float up while standing on them. Any way to make them go down.

And a fun thing happened. I was digging a nice mining tunnel looking for dirt(oddly, I rarely have to do for anything else) on a water planet, and accidentally breached the bottom of the ocean. From below. With predictable results.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MasterTechnologies

• Bay Watcher
  • Developer of Masterspace
    • View Profile
    • Masterspace
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 12:18:58 pm »

The dimensions of the world seem 'off' though, is there any way yet to make 'bricks' from dirt/clay so we can get some nice smooth edges from which to build with?

As of v1.7, there are two methods to place blocks in the game. The "terrain" deposition method modifies the terrain, whereas the "building" method creates free-standing, cubic blocks that are suitable for buildings. There is also the "Auto" method, which is selected as default. In auto mode, soft materials, such as dirts and grass, modifies the terrain, whereas hard materials, such as stone and steel, creates construction platforms. You may toggle the deposition method by pressing "R".

Couldn't figure out how to build though, every time I try building something the button just doesn't work.

In order to place an object, you must point your crosshair at a suitable (and relatively close) location when pressing the build button. The object will appear at the crosshair position, given that you have enough resources. In the next version, I have clarified the placement process, by implementing a "placement hologram".

There isn't much in the way of help, and the wiki didn't much help either, but everything craftable shows its cost ingame in the construction menu.

I am aware that there is a severe lack of documentation for the game and I really need to take some time to update the Wiki and write a quick-start guide. In the future, there should also be some tutorial missions available to help new players.

First off, the obvious one: the music. It feels way out of place for something like this, gets really grating on the ears. I would certainly like a means to change the music, or least a means to turn it off in-game.

I agree on the music, its just too crazy. I turned it straight off.

The music may be turned off in the launcher, but it is probably a good idea to be able to disable it in-game as well. There have been complaints of the choice of music from other people as well and it might be changed in the future. I am interested in your feedback on this and what kind of music you would find suitable.

The game runs extremely slow with pretty much any of the graphics settings turned on. Dynamic lighting works, as does setting shadows to short(long shadows, regardless of shadow quality does not). Every other graphics setting cripples the game, which ordinarily shows an average of +300fps(the status counter doesn't show current fps, though, just best/worst/average). I find it odd that even the lowest of settings besides off for anything would do that.

The large performance hit is due to the calculation of the shadows. Shadows are extremely demanding and is only recommended for high-end computers (which is why they are disabled by default). This is mainly due to the self-shadowing of the terrain. The shadow quality sets the resolution of the shadows which does not influence the performance as much as the shadow distance. Setting the shadow distance to long instead of short, is twice as demanding due to the shadows being calculated twice. In the future, I guess there should be an option to enable shadows without self-shadowing. Dynamic lighting does not impact the performance much on most modern computers, and may almost always be turned on. The other main setting to turn off to get a higher performance is the liquid simulation. The liquid simulation, however, is mostly limited by CPU power.

I would like a way to destroy useless resources like low grass and that excess of stone I find when bombing the terrain, looking for uranium.

It might be a good idea to add an object that destroys resources.

Serious fail on the download front:

Clicking download now brings you to another screen.
Clicking download on that screen brings you to a popup.
Clicking download on the pop-up brings you to game-front.
Clicking download on gamefront gives you an error message.

Seriously....

There might still be some problems with the download mirrors. I am sorry for this and I may only suggest to try to download again later.

Also, is there any way to control elevators? The automatically float to my height, but kinda float up while standing on them. Any way to make them go down.

The behaviour of the elevators is really simple are really simple as you already have figured out. They automatically go to your current height when you are standing next to them and go up when standing on them. As there is no way for the elevator to know if you want to go up or down, any more complex behaviour will have to wait until scriptable buttons are implemented.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »

I like the music but it does grate after awhile. Maybe you could keep the current music for the menu screen but substitute something more ambient for playing in-game?

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2012, 03:26:07 pm »

Sorry I haven't updated the OP.

But from what I've heard, it need a lot of work, eh?
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

MasterTechnologies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Masterspace
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2013, 04:52:41 am »

Masterspace v1.8 has been released, introducing a lot of new mobs. There is now a substantial amount of both hostile and friendly creatures that inhabit the different planets. The creatures all have specific behaviours and may either attack the player on sight or be more cautious in their approach. Some of them may even be friendly, unless attacked. A gallery of the new creatures is presented below:

Masterspace v1.8 previewMasterspace v1.8 preview

On the earth-like planets, there are also familiar animal species, such as sheep, cows and pigs. Some of them may be used for production of different goods. For example, the wool of sheep may be used to produce carpets at the loom:

This version also includes a complete overhaul of the textures in the game. A lot of new materials have been added and others have been updated with higher quality textures. An overview of all material currently in the game is shown below:

Masterspace v1.8 preview

Some of the objects in the game has also been updated with new and  better models. Among them are the container, anvil and lamp post. Also, a  3D preview has been added to the construction screen and an object placement marker has been added:

Additionally, it is now possible to construct complete buildings and spaceships from a database of saved presets. This allows for rapid replication of existing constructions and allow players to share creations with each other. This will also allow for the population of planets with random buildings and space with player-created ships, as soon as the database is of a substantial size.

Finally, a LOD system has been implemented for the planets and the view distance   may now be limited, which allows for much larger planet sizes. As  usual, some bugs and crashes have also been fixed. For a complete changelog, please see below.

Download the free version here:
Masterspace v1.8

To upgrade to the full version, download and install this unlocker. Please note that you need to apply this unlocker even if you have unlocked a previous version, as the unlockers are version specific.

New features:
  • Loading of spaceships and buildings presets from database
  • 3D preview added in construction menu
  • New editor mode with free placement of blocks and objects
  • New land mobs: Golem, Babya, Dragonbug, Small goblin, Goblin and Snake   
  • New flying mobs: Batdragon and Watcher
  • New animals: Cow, Pig, Sheep, Snow wolf
  • New object: Loom for fabricating carpets from wool
  • New materials: Carpet1, Carpet2, Dry grass, Large wood boards, Sandstone bricks, Roof tiles, Wood roof tiles
  • New resources: Wool, bacon and milk
  • Settings for fog and view distance added
  • LOD levels for planets implemented
  • Settings for mouse sensitivity and invert mouse added
  • Support for asymmetrical planet sizes
  • Object placement marker
Changes:
  • Updated textures for crystal, dirt, grass, glass, ice, indestructium, leaves, snow, steel, stone, stone bricks, wood and wood boards
  • New models for anvil, container and lamppost
  • Standard planet radius is now twice as large (8x4x8 instead of 4x4x4)
  • Added 3x3x1 block placement mode for quick wall construction
  • Multimachine split into stone cutter and sawmill
Bug fixes:
  • Fixed memory leak in volume loading
  • Cubic planet surface extraction is now working again
  • Fixed a bug causing the player to fall through the spaceship floor in space

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »

looks promising. posting to remind myself this exists later.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »

Go figure: I have bought it and I still forgot about trying it out after each updates reminds me it exists.

MasterTechnologies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Masterspace
Masterspace v1.9 released
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »

Masterspace v1.9 has been released, introducing an improved user interface. Both the layout and the color scheme has been changed to maximize usability. Additionally, the main menu has been improved and now includes a real-time planet preview for the game in progress. In-game, smart crosshairs that change according to the selected object have been implemented.

A blueprint saving system is now in place, which allows building and spaceship designs to be saved using a simple in-game interface. Saved blueprints may be used to replicate objects for later use and may easily be shared with other players online. Also, database buildings may be used to populate random planets in scenario generator scripts.

Masterspace v1.9 previewMasterspace v1.9 preview

New objects in this version include three spaceship exclusive items: a captains chair, a control panel and a deep space sensor. These objects are used to provide functionality to the spaceship. Also, the photosynthesizer, sawmill, advanced materials maker and mine cart have been updated with higher quality models.

A captains chair is now required on the ship in order to take control of it. Spaceship control is provided by activating the captains chair and the use of TAB in previous versions has been removed. The control panel is used to view the spaceship from a third person perspective and may be used by passengers on the ship, whereas a deep space sensor is required to detect planets from a distance.

Masterspace v1.5 previewMasterspace v1.5 preview
Masterspace v1.5 previewMasterspace v1.5 preview

Finally, a culture system has been added, which calculates the aesthetical value of buildings. This encourages the player to build houses in "nice" materials such as bricks and wood boards, instead of unprocessed stone or wood. The total culture value is shown in the top left corner and will serve to give the player a sense of achievement for constructing buildings. The culture value may also be used in scenarios as victory condition, to progressively unlock new objects or to determine the controller of a planet.

Masterspace v1.9 preview

On the technical side, HDD caching of voxel and physics data has been implemented. This allows for larger game worlds on systems with low memory. Also, trees have been reimplemented as individual voxel volumes, which now allows for trees on spherical planets. As usual, some bugs and crashes have also been fixed. For a complete changelog, please see below.

Download the free version here:
Masterspace v1.9

To upgrade to the full version, download and install this unlocker. Please note that you need to apply this unlocker even if you have unlocked a previous version, as the unlockers are version specific.

New features:
  • New main menu screen with planet preview
  • Blueprint saving system
  • Smart crosshairs
  • Pregenerated quick loading scenarios
  • New objects: Captains chair, Control panel, Deep space sensor
  • Updated models: Photosynthesizer, Sawmill, Advanced materials maker, Mine cart
  • Player settings are now saved
  • HDD caching of inactive planets
  • Culture system
  • Trees reimplemented as individual objects
  • Trees are now functional on spherical planets

Changes:
  • Updated GUI design
  • Improved LOD materials
  • Material deposition times may now be set by scripting
  • NPCs are now prevented from falling over
  • Slightly faster digging rates
  • Carrying/Activating/Selling may now be set on an individual objects
  • New font supporting international characters
  • Setting to enable/disable NPCs
  • Changed to compressed .dds textures for most objects

Bug fixes:
  • Fixed material deposition bug
  • Fixed placement of objects on spherical planets
  • Fixed NPC movement on spherical planets
  • Game will no longer crash when a carried object is destroyed
  • Improved spaceship mounting
  • Fixed resource balls from sub voxel entities

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 10:10:34 pm »

still  bugs if u like where its going and have some spare cash help out his going at it hard with development so its not a fly by night type of game
Sorry,but .......WOULD YOU MIND TYPING CORRECTLY ?I'm not understanding anything of what you wrote

Sorry, but... Would you mind typing correctly? I'm not able to understand anything you wrote.

:P
I believe the translation is:
There are still many bugs. If you like where the game is going and have funds to spare, I recommend helping out the developer. He has been working tirelessly at this project for a while, so It's not a game that is likely to be abandoned.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19:43 pm »

I totally forgot that game existed even tho i did try it when even the spaceship were not functional XD. Glad to see its stilla live and kicking!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2013, 06:51:27 am »

Worth $10?

Anyone got a coupon for it by any chance? At $5 it seems like it'd pretty much be a must buy.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2013, 07:14:09 pm »

This game is super fun, but crashes alot on my rig.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8