Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which adventurer role development list excites you the most?

Hero
- 17 (18.1%)
Theif
- 13 (13.8%)
Treasure Hunter
- 23 (24.5%)
Slayer of Night Creatures
- 7 (7.4%)
Explorer
- 13 (13.8%)
Trader
- 21 (22.3%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventurer Role Development  (Read 5531 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer Role Development
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:37 pm »

With the focus now on Adventurer roles, I thought to ask the community which hero roles you look forward to most. Which arc has the features that you look forward to, both in adventure mode, and fort mode?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Role Development
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

Why is "villain" not on there? Or bandit? Both will be available.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:49:27 pm »

Because the list is copied from the development page. Villain and bandits are not planned adventurer roles; Villains is a section for the Hero role, and bandits are a type of entity, effected by many sections.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:54:38 pm »

I, personally, would like to be able to own shop or a farm. Out of those options, though, I would choose "trader."

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 12:17:24 am »

I, personally, would like to be able to own shop or a farm. Out of those options, though, I would choose "trader."
Yeah, me too. I just played as a peasant archer. I started with no bow or arrow so I had to hunt wild life, butcher them and sell them to scratch together the money for some armor and a bow with some arrows. It was rather enjoyable, until I tripped on a crocodile and got ripped to shreds. Becoming famous by means other than killing things would be nice.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:21:31 am »

I picked Trader because it is the closest thing. What I want is a diplomacy system with kingdoms, families, republics, and the like. Then pick a kingdom and just be either a knight, a prince, etc and just play the whole thing. The court, the war, the diplomacy, courtly-love, treachery, etc. And economics too (enemy kingdom blocked our trading routes. We lack X, so we need to make a deal with kingdom Y) so there would be some Trader in it.

explorer would be cool too. Turn off "know all history". Then some king might pay you to charter some uncharted territory. Or maybe to go get him some ancient artifact that might or might exist, which is something I've played in my head.

Imagine, Fortress X makes a legendary artifact (a sword, lets say) thousands of years ago. The fortress was attacked but you are told the artifact was still in there. So you have to go and find it. You manage to defeat or avoid all the monsters and bandits and the like. You get to the place but find out that the artifact is NOT there. Defeated, you go to the closest town for a drink. While there, you hear some merchant talk about some sword that he saw over by the port. The description sounds like the sword u are looking for; someone go to the sword before you. You ask the merchant for the name of the port, and you go off. Over at the post, you start asking around and find that the sword was sold and is on its way, via sea, to kingdom XYZ. You make arrangements to get on the next ship to that kingdom, but lo and behold, the next ship isn't for a month! So you have to survive until then. You are broke because it took all your money to get to the abandoned fortress and to pay for the ship (and the merchant in the inn wanted something for the info). To make things worse, a war on the west has made caravans reaching the port scarce, so prices on food are high. You decide that your best bet to surviving is to hunt the wilds and sell the meat. The high prices have increased the number of robberies and crime on the port city, so you offer your help to the local sheriff for some food and coin.

A month passes and the ship comes; and you are off. You might get attacked by pirates, you might get caught in a storm, you might get stuck in some war (sea battle), you might get attacked by some sea monster, possibilities are endless!

OH MY ARMOK! WHY WON'T THIS GAME BE DONE ALREADY!!! I'm wetting myself just thinking about all of this!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:35:54 am by Die Nacht »
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:25:49 am »

Because the list is copied from the development page. Villain and bandits are not planned adventurer roles; Villains is a section for the Hero role, and bandits are a type of entity, effected by many sections.

Its on other places, you will be able to make your OWN enity-group, and your own sites, and capable of chopping wood to build said site.

And you telling me if you go and murder a entire town, that aint being a villain? Boy, you dwarfy.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36:52 am »

And you telling me if you go and murder a entire town, that aint being a villain? Boy, you dwarfy.

Not if it is elves.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 05:25:50 am »

The stuff I want is broken up between them. Reputation and mounts and mansions and caravans and stuff. All the things that let you extend your power beyond being just one person. But really, there's fun stuff in all of them. I went with Trader but Hero also stands out as one with a goodly portion of that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:01:31 am by Cruxador »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 05:32:13 am »

Yeah, should at least probably just add another option called "unrepentant monster" to cover the popular Bay12 role for an adventurer.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 06:03:21 am »

Yeah, should at least probably just add another option called "unrepentant monster" to cover the popular Bay12 role for an adventurer.
This is about which suite of future features from the dev page (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html) you are anticipating most highly. Current play-styles are not directly relevant.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 06:52:47 am »

I voted Thief, but really the stuff under basic adventure mode is what interests me the most.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:57:24 am »

I would generally like to play a Freelancer. Sort of a bit of everything, whatever-pays/is entertaining at the time. Sometimes slaying the evil whats-its, sometimes stealing etc.

Also:
Always fun to play the bad guy/monster.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:41 am »

Always fun to play the bad guy/monster.

Reminds me of the time I modded Bronze Colossi to be playable in Adv. Mode.

I discovered something that day: Dragonfire is sufficient to destroy Bronze Colossi.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 01:50:25 pm »

In pretty much every game like the adventure mode, I end up playing a kleptomaniac hero, so cunning thievery is what I'm looking for most of all.

I have realized that the reason I don't feel any guilt when stealing from beggars in most games is that they are just set pieces, and as long as I give them a coin it won't matter if I steal their whole purse afterwards. In DF I expect that to cause the poor man to starve or be driven to crime, making the world a worse place regardless of whether or not my adventurer gets caught.

And naturally, some people deserve to suffer so it's good to be able to drive them to despair without ever openly showing it. "I killed the giant sponge for you, oh and your house is on fire. Have a nice day sir!"
Pages: [1] 2