Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to give a dwarf a special pet?  (Read 580 times)

Arnarinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to give a dwarf a special pet?
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:37:36 pm »

I put up some traps all around my fortress and caught a fine raven. I tamed it and now I am trying to get my baron to actually adopt it (Or the other way around). Is there a way to actually make that happen?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to give a dwarf a special pet?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

no. Only a dwarf that would like to have a raven pet or any pet at all will adopt it and then it is first come first served. Only war and hunting animals can be assigned to a person
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

What Garath said. However, if you really really want to give your baron that raven, you can go to the creature_birds_new.txt raw file, look for the [CREATURE:BIRD_RAVEN] and add the [TRAINABLE] token to it. This will make the raven a trainable animal, which will allow you to train and assign it at will.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »

You could put the raven in a cage made of a material that the baron likes into the baron's room, and put raven in the cage.  It would not be his pet, but he might get good thoughts from admiring a creature in a cage.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:25:28 pm »

heh, I don't know why but I was suddenly reminded of a (sort of) quote, maybe due to a lot of thinking about training

The smartest thing any intelligent species can do is to prevent mankind from ever finding out

@slink:
I think it's seperate thought, admiring the cage or the creature inside it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:39:19 pm »

Diamond-encrusted candy rat cage with gold and platinum cabochons.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 06:57:06 pm »

Giving ravens to positions of authority sounds like a cultural thing. You must do it.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:24 pm »

I'd kill my vampire duke's consort and cage a raven above his +schist chamber door+, but unfortunately doors don't support the z-level above. I guess there are better methods of making nobles go insane anyway.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:07 pm »

@Garath: Maybe it's only in a zoo that they admire creatures in cages?  So give the baron his own one-cage raven zoo.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.