Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you like the updates to work?

In-Depth (Pretty much every monster, item, room, etc)
Highlights (New monsters, interesting items, rooms, etc)
Roleplay (everything from the dungeoneer's point-of-view)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!  (Read 27370 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Eyebrows, Diggles, and Cheese - Let's Play Dungeons of Dredmor!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 11:26:26 pm »

Let us continue the adventure of Hopson! He becomes an Ingoteer and grows slightly stronger and more skilled.

Ah, a glorious bounty! A whole room full of magnificent lutefisk! Lutefisk, in real life, is basically fish paste and popular in Norway. In-game, it's the worst healing item possible. Why do I like it? We'll find out later.

Hopson finds this laying randomly on the floor. 2 toxic and 1 necromantic resistance is nothing to sneeze at, even if we lose our tiny amount of radiance resistance. Hopson puts it on.

Remember those bolts that Hopson learned how to make? Found some near the mummy ring. Deals a respectable amount of damage while drawing struck enemies closer to us.

Found our first mushrooms in a chest. These Odious Puffballs become throwing weapons that confuse their targets. Could be useful.

PRAISE ARMOK...er, I mean KRONG! These anvils will turn any one piece of equipment into an artifact, imbuing it with all sorts of extra powers...unless Krong is displeased with you.
Since the anvil can only be used once, and we're still using newbie equipment, I pass it up for now.

Couple new fungi here. The purplish one is Lobstermane, and it helps us take more physical damage for a while. The other is Azure Mob-Bonnet, which increases our magic power.
The odd bronze thing partially hidden behind the table is an Uber Chest (tm), and requires a lever somewhere on this floor to be pulled. They usually contain valuable artifacts, and so it is worth hunting for the proper lever.

Ah mah gawd. Food, booze, a second Uber Chest (tm), an icicle wand, a couple of normal chests, a bookcase, a lever, and that Eyeball Shrine we needed for the quest. Shame that we don't yet have the proper item, but that's half the quest over.
There's also a fountain here. We can drink from it, but the effect is totally random. Could be a buff, could be poison, could refil our health or mana. Risky business.

Found this in the bookcase. It's basically a double-bladed clockwork chainsaw-axe. Shame that we didn't take tinkering :(

Pull the lever...and the Uber Chest (tm) opens up!

A quick check shows that, aside from the decreased speed and magic power, it is superior to Hopson's current shield, and even throws in increased health regeneration to boot! He quickly equips it.

Another Inconsequentia shrine. This one wants us to wipe out Dredmor's 79th Platoon, the Enormous Vessels, and kill their leader. Hapson, of course, agrees.

While hunting for the 79th Platoon, Hopson finds another Anvil of Krong. This time however, Hopson has some metal bars. Time to put that smithing skill to good use and craft some artifact-worthy equipment!

First, some Bronze Greaves to replace the flip-flops that he's currently wearing.

Second, a Rough Iron Axe to replace the Stone-Age-tech weapon.

Now...what should he offer to Krong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:43 am »

I will go with my old standby of kronging the hell out of a single ring.

So krong the mummy ring.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 12:34:42 am »

Is that cherry pie-looking thing and the orange slice in the food pic from a mod or part of the new Xpack I haven't seen yet?

Also, I second the ring. Krong *always* hates me, so I try for a multi-curse challenge. How low (in every stat) can you go?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:49 am »

Is that cherry pie-looking thing and the orange slice in the food pic from a mod or part of the new Xpack I haven't seen yet?
Not entirely sure. I basically added all of the DLCs and mods at the same time - until YHTNTEP and Steam Workshop support was released, my game was pure vanilla :/

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:08 am »

If we can easily come back to this floor after leaving it, I'd say to leave the anvils for now. Let's wait for some better items.

Edit: Change the smithing skill in my suggested character to alchemy please
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:07:23 am by ivanthe8th »
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »

Welcome back! The voices in Hopson's head (the majority of them, anyway) tell him to place his mummified ring on the anvil as an offering to Krong. He steps up, whispers a few reverential words, and lays it down.

Success! Krong is pleased with the gift and blesses the ring with voltaic resistance! Hopson slips the ring back onto his finger with a word of thanks.

With his backpack rapidly filling up, Hopson heads back to Brax's shop to sell some of the less useful items.
Nearly 3000 zorkmids later, his inventory is considerably lighter. I use some of the money to buy him a pair of Fabulously Striped Pants, which increase dodge and block ability. Better than running around in his underwear.

He's looking pretty well kitted out now. Could use some more damage though. Time to resume exploration in the meantime.

Another store...sadly not really anything worth buying (that we could afford). Moving on.

Hey, a potion of healing! Unlike most items/spells, these give you roughly 20 HP in an instant, perfect for getting out of any tight spots later. Hopson grabs it.
He finds a second one in the next room :D

Found this bad boy in what appears to be a jail cell. Hopson swaps it for Varval, as this one deals more piercing damage plus some blasting damage.

We find some enraged diggles in another jail cell. There doesn't appear to be any way to open the door, and we don't have any teleportation moves. Lucky day, dudes.

Ah-ha! Just gotta bring this to the Eyeball Shrine.

It turned into a...???
Whatever. Time for a reward!

...thanks for nothing, Inconsequentia.
So anyway, I'm in the middle of slaying some monsters...

...when that happens. We need a new ability, folks!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »

I'm going to continue voting for smithing until we reach max level. In the short term it will allow us to make armor faster than we can find it, in the long term we can use it to boost our income by making improved items. Plus we're getting burliness, which will boost our damage output.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »

I will go for Duck and Cover actually. Increasing your chances to (mostly) nullify any physical attack is always nice.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 12:32:40 am »

I'm going to vote for smithing.

While installing FTL earlier today, I noticed that I actually own this game on steam. I may have to install it.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 02:17:35 am »

If smithing gets more interesting later... then smithing.

I'd love to make a mechanics + Smithing combo

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:39 am »

If smithing gets more interesting later... then smithing.

I'd love to make a mechanics + Smithing combo
Smithing makes you stronger and able to craft cooler stuff...that's about it. Helpful, but not entirely interesting.

You want interesting, choose just about any other skill :P

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 02:38:37 am »

Smithing on its own is utilitarian. It DOES directly boost some of the abilities in Clockwork Knight, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 02:42:13 am »

Smithing on its own is utilitarian. It DOES directly boost some of the abilities in Clockwork Knight, though.
Nope! That's Tinkering.
Ok, some of the smithing levels also boost tinkering, but the Tinkering skill might have been a better choice (especially considering that most of the clockwork weapons and armor are made with Tinkering instead of Smithing).
:)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 03:00:21 am »

Nope! That's Tinkering.

... So it is! Fun useless fact: at some point in the YHTNTEP beta, the rocket punch and another later skill scaled off smithing level. Now they seem to scale with Burl instead. The tooltip wasn't updated, that's what threw me. I am really interested to see where this character goes, though. Lots of nice tanky potential in the skill set.:D

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 03:58:05 am »

I find it lovely that despite basically picking what skills looked cool, this has basically turned out as a decent skillset. Then again that's kind've the appeal of DoD, I guess. There aren't a lot of absolutely horrible no chance skill loadouts.

Certainly ones that are an uphill fight, but.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8