Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Soldiers refuse to equip helms/boots/gauntlets  (Read 13939 times)

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
Soldiers refuse to equip helms/boots/gauntlets
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:33:42 pm »

As title states. Full iron gear is available (Breastplate/Mail Shirt/Helm/Leggings/Greaves/Gauntlets/High Boots) but while showing claimed in the equip screen none of my soldiers will wear the helms/boots/gauntlets.

Why is this? I think it's because of layering, but in previous versions they would just drop the civilian stuff in favor of metal. Now they'll happily go into battle with regular shoes and gloves (which causes a lot of amputees to shuffle around the fort) with better options being claimed but unequipped.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers refuse to equip helms/boots/gauntlets
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:43 pm »

Are your soldiers set to active duty, as opposed to inactive? They won't bother picking up new equipment when they're inactive.

You can check via the 's' squad menu and use 't' to change it (I think), or else 'm'ilitary->'a'lerts and see which alert the squad has a green 'A' next to it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:35:58 pm »

Are your soldiers set to active duty, as opposed to inactive? They won't bother picking up new equipment when they're inactive.

You can check via the 's' squad menu and use 't' to change it (I think), or else 'm'ilitary->'a'lerts and see which alert the squad has a green 'A' next to it.

They're picking up some armor (breastplates/mailshirts/leggings/greaves) fine when off duty. It's specifically helmets/gauntlets/boots. None of my soldiers wear them, only grabbing them once the current shoes/gloves/cap they're wearing get worn out and dropped.

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »

change in the equipment tab from 'over clothing' to 'replaces clothing'

also, I thought that greaves cannot be combined with leggins?

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 03:33:01 pm »

yeah, wear in place of clothing...also, make sure the uniform has 'exact matches' not 'partial matches' (m key)

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:00:11 pm »

I have experienced this as well with the most recent version.  I definitely had "exact matches" selected, but not "replaces clothing".  I will try "replaces clothing" later tonight and see if it helps.

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:23 pm »

Same problem here, I will try the 'replaces clothing' thing later tonight.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:15:59 pm »

I shudder at the thought of wearing steel chain mail shirts with nothing else on a hairy torso....dwaven epilady!!! yikes!

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 06:08:33 pm »

Ok, replace clothing worked. They're wearing iron now.

Though if I add socks to the uniform, they'll happily wear four socks and no boots. /facepalm
Leather cloaks and hoods seem to go just fine with the helmets and plate/shirt though.

Rather confusing sometimes, but happy to avoid some dismemberment at the moment.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »

Also getting this. They will put on mail shirts and leggings over their regular clothes but refuse to put on helms, gloves, or boots.

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 10:23:04 am »

I tried changing the setting to "replaces clothing" but my soldiers still refuse to equip those perfectly good iron gauntlets and helmets.

Ah and Also they won't wear chain + breastplate, they will only wear one or the other.

HALP

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:47 pm »

The "replace clothing" option worked, and the dwarves are equipped as listed in the military menu.

Cheese, make sure "replace clothing" is changed for all of the dwarves in your squads.  Changing it once will only change it for the selected dwarf.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 08:30:43 am »

Hmm, mine are wearing chain and breastplate.  If I start adding robes and cloaks, the breastplate usually doesn't get equipped. 

They also won't equip a helmet if they have a cap, so I had to change that around as opposed to before.  However, they will wear a helm over the artifact face veil... now I have to see if they will wear breastplate with the artifact toga I have.  I was hoping to equip a dwarf with 12 children with the toga and give her a bunch of statues, from which to throw a party.
igless

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:04:54 am »

Thank you for this thread! I couldn't get my militia to wear helmets, so they keep getting smashed in the head with copper weapons and dying instantly.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 11:51:37 am »

Hmm, mine are wearing chain and breastplate.  If I start adding robes and cloaks, the breastplate usually doesn't get equipped. 

They also won't equip a helmet if they have a cap, so I had to change that around as opposed to before.  However, they will wear a helm over the artifact face veil... now I have to see if they will wear breastplate with the artifact toga I have.  I was hoping to equip a dwarf with 12 children with the toga and give her a bunch of statues, from which to throw a party.
This link will show you what dwarves can and cannot wear.  It may be a bit outdated with the recent changes, but it does list the best armor setup.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Armor
Pages: [1] 2