Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cliffs  (Read 3427 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cliffs
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:26:15 am »

How can I get some nice sharp cliffs and river canyons? No matter where I put my erosion cycle count, I end up with mountainous steppe with small hills. Are triangles or pentagons higher mountains?

When I say River Canyons, I''m thinking of this site I had where there was just a gap in the mountainside that got to about six tiles wide by the time it reached open air, the brook just bisected the mountain neatly.

I've tried searching, but most threads on the subjects are for older versions.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:30:26 am by WJLIII3 »

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cliffs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:33:38 pm »

Try where two or more rivers join into one, that usually gives you tall cliffs and waterfalls
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:41:58 pm »

If you press tab enough times on the embark pick screen, it will come up with a "cliff indicator". The more red/higher the number, the steeper the hill/cliff until it's just about vertical (it's never 'perfect' in my experience). It won't help you find cliffs in the first place but it will let you know where they are if they are on your screen.

Also, I find the steepest cliffs most reliably to be around volcanoes.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »

I just cut my own nowadays!  Any invaders/traders/thieves approaching my fortresses are faced with an imposing sheer wall which looks like the landscape has been sliced in half.

Double the awe when they realise that's literally true......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »

Turn off the 'periodically erode extremes' option in worldgen should do it. (i think)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »

You can try using IsoWorld to look at the world map.  It'll show you where you have cliffs and canyons.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »

Find a spot on the embark screen with a real mountain. If it has a name (Mountain: The Home of Urist or something like that), you found it. It has its own symbol. If it has borders to a habitable biome (not exactly common) and if it isn't already colonized (you better start at an early date), you'll find a cliff that is almost vertical and rises to 50-100 z-levels above the ground.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »

Perfect World DF, paint your own elevation map and disable "periodically erode extremes" option.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 04:25:08 pm »

You might like my worldgen

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:29 pm »

Try where two or more rivers join into one, that usually gives you tall cliffs and waterfalls
Yeah, my current fort has two that have managed to erode a rather impressive canyon, of course it was off to the side and I didn't notice until my fort was all set up :(. Also, I'm really Hoping that I find a mountain entitled "The Cliffs of insanity". It MUST be out there somewhere...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:02:56 am »

So I have the erosion cycle count at 1 and periodically erode off, I embark at a site which says that the forest biome is a green 1 to the mountain biomes red *. I get this. Those hills go up about four on the south and seven on the west. Nice to not have any trees on that huge swath of useless unmountained land.../sarcasm

EDIT: so any tips?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:23:32 pm by WJLIII3 »