Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pick weapon skilll name  (Read 470 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Pick weapon skilll name
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:34:50 am »

Okay, I created a emergency militia of Miners in case the fortress is breached. I want to check how effective they will be in combat against the enemy, but I don't know what the skill of a pick is called in testing arena, and I cnat find it. I'd like to know whether they will all be slaughtered and I should focus on the doomsday device.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pick weapon skilll name
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:13:12 am »

The skill with which a dwarf's prowess in battle with a pick is determined is called

*drums*

MINING!
(a>b) ? false : true

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:51:43 am »

Picks make good weapons. Their contact area is in that sweet spot between "pierces armor" and "severs limbs," they penetrate deep enough to poke into vital organs, they have a high velocity modifier, miners have high mining skill, and picks don't have a wasteful blunt attack like slapping someone with the side of a sword.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:32 am »

miners are a bit of a problem for permanent military duty though since mining doesn't count as weapon skill and they'll complain about being in the military. The solution is (duh) to cross train them in some other skill. marksdwarf training is probably the easiest. I thought of wrestling, but with the new rules they tend to be thrown into walls occasionally. Wrestling training is dangerous! I one time had a miner/lasher squad. I usually embark with at least 2 soil layers (I try) and dig those out for tree farms and have plenty of legendary miners because of that.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.