Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My dwarves hate wood and refuse to gather it!  (Read 5159 times)

OzDracula

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves hate wood and refuse to gather it!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:11 am »

It was none of the above. The little guys had access to everything. They were walking through all the necessary areas to get w the wood, store wood, and make stuff.
All the setting were correct.
I have erased that game and restarted.
Thanks.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 10:37:58 am »

Ah, too bad.  I would have liked to have a save file to examine.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »

If you have an issue like this again, here's what I suggest you do:

1. Save the game.
2. Close DF.
3. Open your DF folder's data/save sub-folder.
4. Locate the folder with the save you're having issues with.
5. Compress it, somehow. I don't know your computer, so you're on your own here.
6. Go to DFFD.
7. Sign up if you haven't and upload the .zip or whatever of your save folder.
8. Post again around here, with a link to the DFFD page with your save file on it.
9. Try not to change the save too much while you wait for results.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 01:04:42 pm »

for the record I'm seeing something similar : some wood have been cut and lies around inside my fortress (caverns breached, trees are growing inside) in areas where dwarves are being seen wandering.
I have 2 wood stockpiles both directly adjacent to my central staircase which are now < 50% full.
Some (often many , like 30 or so) dwarves are idling ( and even though some of them are not eligible for hauling - i've disabled hauling for my legendary- , some dwarves should be doing it, as they're hauling other items).

As a sidenote, i'm being spammed by "stocpiling cancelled, item inaccessible", and haven't been able to find the offending items.

If anyone is interested I can upload the game

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 01:57:54 pm »

I uploaded the save : [edit : deleted ], it's 30Mb, and uses Phoebus tileset

There is wood lying around on 106 and 105 pastures  (north/center of the map).
I have wood stockpiles on lvls 100 and 98
I've tried putting a stockpile on lvl 105, but it's not getting filled either

edit .... my bad .... ignore wood was set for me, probably a typo at some point !
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:36:40 pm by Finndibaenn »

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:34 pm »

no no no Guys, you are all getting it wrong. His dwarfes were actually real smart, realising that gethering and using wood would make them more elflike, and like every good dwarf should, they refused to become something like those tree-loving longears, who arent even using metal..... I give credits to this guys, they would rather sleep on the ground than become elves...

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 02:12:03 pm »

no no no Guys, you are all getting it wrong. His dwarfes were actually real smart, realising that gethering and using wood would make them more elflike, and like every good dwarf should, they refused to become something like those tree-loving longears, who arent even using metal..... I give credits to this guys, they would rather sleep on the ground than become elves...

They refused to bring the wood
to the carpenter, who would chip a full tree (!!!) into a single bed or bin (remember the simpsons scene with the bowling pins?)
to the wood furnace to produce a single bar of coke
to the wood crafter, who would produce wooden bolts to kill elves with

Instead they let the logs out in the open, allowing nature to reclaim the dead wood and to reincorporate it back into the flora's cycle of life and death.
IT'S THE OPPOSITE OF BEING DWARF!
(a>b) ? false : true

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »

They refused to bring the wood
to the carpenter, who would chip a full tree (!!!) into a single bed or bin (remember the simpsons scene with the bowling pins?)
to the wood furnace to produce a single bar of coke
to the wood crafter, who would produce wooden bolts to kill elves with

Instead they let the logs out in the open, allowing nature to reclaim the dead wood and to reincorporate it back into the flora's cycle of life and death.
IT'S THE OPPOSITE OF BEING DWARF!

remember: Dwarfs are stupid after all. They see "oh, chopping this tree will anger the elves" but they dont see "Using this log would anger them even more". Also, elves bring wooden things with them, so the dwarfs can imagine in their little minds, that making something (doesnt matter how wasteful and elven-angering it would be) out of wood is undwarfy and something they dont wanna do.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »

really weird, almost sounds like a pathing problem, but you said dwarfs would go to the surface and down again. Or did you have dwarfs sleeping outside? Didn't sound like it but you never know
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 09:34:53 pm »

I know that feeling, frustrating by a stupid dwarf and his stupid AI.  As a result of all the restarts I've made, I've come up with a pretty streamlined embark profile and beginning fortress.  Good luck in your next game, it'll take a few to really get the menus and combat down.  And even then, a dwarf will sometimes do something unexpected.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

boobah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 09:47:03 pm »

I had similiar problem(dwarf stopped stockpiling wood suddenly) in 34.11
I think DF engine failed to make 'store item in stockpile' job for wood...
Ignoring wood(o-w) then (after a few ticks or so) let dwarves gather wood again worked for me as a workaround.

Not sure it'll work everytime though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:49:16 pm by boobah »

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 09:55:44 am »

As a sidenote, i'm being spammed by "stocpiling cancelled, item inaccessible", and haven't been able to find the offending items.

Ooo, that I seem to get, if I get a wheelbarrow inaccessible somehow. The dwarves seem really stupid about continually trying to retrieve a wheelbarrow with an item being hauled in it, if it, say, falls into a pool that they can't reach into. My best advice would be to do a quick scan of your murky pools if you have them on your surface, see if you've got a wheelbarrow stuck. (And if it's your only wheelbarrow assigned to the stockpile, it could be why dwarves aren't hauling wood any more.)

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:19 pm »

Just scan the job menu for the offending job.
If it is just one dwarf spamming the log:
- wait until he cancels the job once more
- pause
- check the creature with v and see if he has a job queued
--- if he hasnt yet, unpause for a tick and pause again, he may now have the job in question
- find his name on the job list
- check out the item and try finding it on the map
- forbid the item
- unpause
- reclaim the item if another dwarf will pick up the job and has more success at finishing it (either by not being restricted to a burrow or being able to path to the item)
(a>b) ? false : true
Pages: 1 [2]