Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OH GOD A FIRE BREATHING STEEL TITAN  (Read 8938 times)

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OH GOD A FIRE BREATHING STEEL TITAN
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:36:56 am »

Basically my young fort (less than 5 yrs) has a small, skilled, military force of around 12 iron/steel kitted hammer/axe/xbow.
I have the game paused because this wonderful titan just showed up on the far edge of my map, scared the fuck out of me, and really I've never seen anything like this
As the title suggests, it's a steel titan that breathes fire. My fortress defenses are... Not good at all.
I have several long tunnels before the entrance to my actual fortress, filled with spinning discs, spike traps, and the like.
I'm pretty nooby, so I've no idea if these simple trap designs will be able to keep the damn thing out of my fort.
My plan so far is to gather everyone and arm them with what little weps/armor I have left and organize the entire fortress as an impromptu militia force.
I'll station all the ranged dwarves in the front of course, let them plink away at the damn behemoth while he marches up through the traps.
I'm wondering if I should pull... the lever. If you guys think I can't defend my fortress through conventional means, I will use my last defense.
Basically the entire complex of tunnels before the innards of my fortress, filled with traps, also has a large system above it where I can dump loads of magma onto unsuspecting invaders. The obvious drawback would be I'd probably block my entrance and destroy all my glorious traps :\
Also; Because he's made of steel, would magma even melt him? ._.;

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OH GOD A FIRE BREATHING STEEL TITAN
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:49 am »

My recommendation would be to trap him in a corridor between two bridges, and either kill him gradually with upright spear traps on repeat or cave in the ceiling above him. I don't think magma would end well, since he's made of steel. He'll have trapavoid, which means the weapon traps won't work on him, but upright spear or spike traps will.

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:52:03 am »

My recommendation would be to trap him in a corridor between two bridges, and either kill him gradually with upright spear traps on repeat or cave in the ceiling above him. I don't think magma would end well, since he's made of steel. He'll have trapavoid, which means the weapon traps won't work on him, but upright spear or spike traps will.
I doubt I have time to build the necessary equipment to trap him. Do you think around 120 dwarves could fell him?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:57:10 am »

Ofcourse you have time, you can just seal your fort and turtle untill you have a cave-in trap ready or made a path that you can collapse 50 z-levels to drop it to its death etc etc
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:58:58 am »

Ofcourse you have time, you can just seal your fort and turtle untill you have a cave-in trap ready or made a path that you can collapse 50 z-levels to drop it to its death etc etc
Maybe I wanted to fight it conventionally P:

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:06:50 am »

Let's see, if you outfitted all 120 dwarves with steel weapons (and shields, don't forget the shields), and they have some form of training, I don't see why not. Go for it, and have fun!

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:08:18 am »

Steel titans are basically immortal. Maybe you could try getting lucky with adamantine equipment, but iron probably won't do anything to it.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:10:38 am »

Let's see, if you outfitted all 120 dwarves with steel weapons (and shields, don't forget the shields), and they have some form of training, I don't see why not. Go for it, and have fun!
I've only got enough supplies to outfit say half of them (50-60) with a mixture of steel and iron weapons, armor, and yes shields.
I'm aiming at making hammers and armor while I turtle for a few months, just to maybe outfit them more appropriately.
I think blunt weapons are the best choice, correct? I doubt I'll be able to sever limbs with steel axes so....

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:12:59 am »

Well, if you're going to turtle for a few months, might as well set up a contingency trap. You could also send wave after wave of dwarves at it, while it stands precariously over a pit, hoping it dodges in. Or use spike traps, but dwarf swarms are way cooler.

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:44 am »

Well, if you're going to turtle for a few months, might as well set up a contingency trap. You could also send wave after wave of dwarves at it, while it stands precariously over a pit, hoping it dodges in. Or use spike traps, but dwarf swarms are way cooler.
What did you not get about fighting conventionally? Lol.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:55:54 am »

Oh yes, steel titan. Be sure to tell us the results.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 02:58:23 am »

if you're going to turtle and not make a killing based contingency plan at least make 119 coffins instead.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 03:07:23 am »

You could obsidian cast him by using your magma trap in conjunction with a bit of water.
I would probably seal it up somewhere and either use it for marksdwarf training or try testing minecart shotguns on it.
Cave-ins are probably the easiest way of dealing with titans, it's generally what i do with titans/forgotten beasts when i'mm too lazy to make a decent military or death trap.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 03:16:53 am »

He basically destroyed my entire impromptu militia. I have around twenty dwarfs left.  The only reason why he didn't kill everyone is because when I pulled the lever I improperly built the lava canal so it caused the entire front of my fortress to collapse. Lol...
So now there's a bunch of suicidal/homicidal dwarfs trapped in the ass-end of my fortress, armed to the teeth with the weapons of their fallen comrades.
The bad news is that I lost all my building materials and most of my tools in the collapse, therefor I don't have the means to even create a damn pickaxe.
I also don't have any miners left alive... So in effect, we are quite literally trapped with a bunch of food/booze and weaponry, with a dead titan trapped under the pile of rubble that you use to be my glorious fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: And now my the remnants of my population are killing off the remaining three dwarven children after they went berserk. ;D

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:45 am »

I've only got enough supplies to outfit say half of them (50-60) with a mixture of steel and iron weapons, armor, and yes shields.
I'm aiming at making hammers and armor while I turtle for a few months, just to maybe outfit them more appropriately.
I think blunt weapons are the best choice, correct? I doubt I'll be able to sever limbs with steel axes so....

Steel spears? Good penetration and they can damage internal organs. Even Iron spears may be able to get past the steel skin.
Axes would help with chopping off limbs, as you said, but blunt weapons... eh, they'll probably just scratch him.
Make sure you stuff all your non-pet animals in a cage and release them as a distraction before you sent your military in.
(a>b) ? false : true
Pages: [1] 2