Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OH GOD A FIRE BREATHING STEEL TITAN  (Read 8943 times)

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OH GOD A FIRE BREATHING STEEL TITAN
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 03:22:10 am »

Let's see, if you outfitted all 120 dwarves with steel weapons (and shields, don't forget the shields), and they have some form of training, I don't see why not. Go for it, and have fun!
I've only got enough supplies to outfit say half of them (50-60) with a mixture of steel and iron weapons, armor, and yes shields.
I'm aiming at making hammers and armor while I turtle for a few months, just to maybe outfit them more appropriately.
I think blunt weapons are the best choice, correct? I doubt I'll be able to sever limbs with steel axes so....

Too late mate, thanks for the advice though. They had a relatively good spread of weapons, but after around 80 dwarves died and the damn titan kept bathing my war beasts in fire, I gave up and pulled the level.
Steel spears? Good penetration and they can damage internal organs. Even Iron spears may be able to get past the steel skin.
Axes would help with chopping off limbs, as you said, but blunt weapons... eh, they'll probably just scratch him.
Make sure you stuff all your non-pet animals in a cage and release them as a distraction before you sent your military in.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 03:53:23 am »

we are quite literally trapped with a bunch of food/booze and weaponry, with a dead titan trapped under the pile of rubble that you use to be my glorious fortress.
At least you have something to drink. That should make the situation bearable...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:54 am »

too late to add anything, but for next time, inorganic FB and titan need to be hacked apart. Blunt and piercing will chip them a lot and can cripple them, but I had a charcoal FB survive several thousand hits by menacing steel spikes and had to send some axedwarfs to finish it off
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:23 am »

A noob question, but doesn't the titan destroy drawbridges? So how to keep it from doing so before it can be trapped? I'm just building my own megabeast defences, since none have appeared for quite a while.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:18:48 am »

Drawbridges are indestructible when raised. Unless a dragon somehow burns it down (not probable) or it's not fire/magma-safe

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

Yeah, but I meant that the titan has to walk over the LOWERED drawbridge before it can be trapped between two of them. Does some kind of distraction (like a kitten or a door) work?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 12:40:38 pm »

if you're going to turtle and not make a killing based contingency plan at least make 119 coffins instead.

Thread winning post.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »

the ai doesn't destroy lowered drawbridges (never seen it at least) but prefers to walk over it to destroy dwarfs, don't worry about that. I imagine this is to prevent building destroyers destroying a bridge that is covering a moat, sealing themself out.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:07 am »

Good to know, this solves some problems in my defence design.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 10:43:33 pm »

He basically destroyed my entire impromptu militia. I have around twenty dwarfs left.  The only reason why he didn't kill everyone is because when I pulled the lever I improperly built the lava canal so it caused the entire front of my fortress to collapse. Lol...
So now there's a bunch of suicidal/homicidal dwarfs trapped in the ass-end of my fortress, armed to the teeth with the weapons of their fallen comrades.
The bad news is that I lost all my building materials and most of my tools in the collapse, therefor I don't have the means to even create a damn pickaxe.
I also don't have any miners left alive... So in effect, we are quite literally trapped with a bunch of food/booze and weaponry, with a dead titan trapped under the pile of rubble that you use to be my glorious fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: And now my the remnants of my population are killing off the remaining three dwarven children after they went berserk. ;D

Can you build a magma forge and melt metal items? That probably needs a pickaxe but maybe you have an accidental place to be able to place one at.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:45:11 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 [2]