Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unfitting fortress names  (Read 5487 times)

Rage Machine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unfitting fortress names
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:22:48 am »

so i just started a new fort, i called it 'silvergate' as silver is always common enough and even when not i can just import some silver to build the gates out of. safe enough name and sounds cool.

on embark i find i am surrounded by gold. ALOT of gold. my fort is call silver gate.

fuck.

anyone else ever have this happen?

(also anyone know how i could change my forts name post-embark?)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Unfitting fortress names
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:26:05 am »

I don't believe post-embark name changing is possible. If you're not too far in then you could just get the seed and re-generate the world.

Or just settle for your lovely ironic name. Or screw the gold and import a ton of silver.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:37:41 am »

My newest fort is Drunkensteel (randomly generated).  Its stone resources include native gold, galena, and cassiterite.  And of course, despite the site finder's assurances, no flux.

On the other hand, it does have a volcano, white sand, and clay.  750 large serrated green glass discs should do a fine job mining goblinite, and I can trade in flux easily enough for ceramic crafts.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Rage Machine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:42:47 am »

haha, that sounds pretty bad but at least you didn't specifically name your fort 'drunkensteel'.

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:54:06 am »

Smelt the gold down. Make expensive stuff out of it. Then export it. Trade it for clay, and use that to decorate your fort.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:35 am »

I intentionally avoid names in the vein of "Awesomestronghold", since they will invariably prove false. "Metalsomething" isn't big on my preferred names list either. Usually, I choose a random name that sounds surreal, funny or a possible candidate for the "make your fortress live up to its name" thread (e.g. "Razorwheel" --> fuck ton of serrated disc traps)...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:11:19 am »

My current fort's name is 'Dearthsalve'. At first I thought it was 'Darthsalve', and immediately began brainstorming ways to make the fort convey a sense of evil ointments (GOLDEN SALVE FOR THE LOTION GOD, etc.). Kind of a bummer when I saw it was 'Dearth', whatever that means.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:13:52 am by UrbanGiraffe »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:12:33 am »

I'm a fan of The Breakfast of Champions and similar silly names. I had one fort called Claytop that was made entirely out of clay, but luckily you can see that before embark.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:39:37 am »

My current fort's name is 'Dearthsalve'. At first I thought it was 'Darthsalve', and immediately began brainstorming ways to make the fort convey a sense of evil ointments (GOLDEN SALVE FOR THE LOTION GOD, etc.). Kind of a bummer when I saw it was 'Dearth', whatever that means.

It means 'scarcity or lack' ...so all you need to do is make sure there is absolutely no salve on your map at any time.
[Signature]

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:54:52 am »

My fort was called Tinfound. It was absolutely swimming in ores, of nearly every variety (being a 31.12 gen).

Guess which ore it was short of?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:58:03 am »

My fort was called Tinfound. It was absolutely swimming in ores, of nearly every variety (being a 31.12 gen).

Guess which ore it was short of?
Cassiterite? :P
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:45:13 am »

I generally take the ran-gen name and tweak it somewhat.

My current fortress was generated as The ShamefulGate (or something close), which I changed to The Shame of Nuts.
I kept the group's name - "The Organized Vulgarities" - and civilization - "The Rag of Action"
Wish I'd known beforehand that the dorfs would be swimming in Obsidian or I would have put more effort into it.

My Elven Neighbours are "The Awe-Inspiring Swamps", while the humans are boring as usual.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:16 am »

'Loverocks'

A fort where I atom smashed almost every child, pet or useless immigrant.
An entrance hall framed by dozens upon dozens of slabs - countless engravings telling about crushing bridges. Names can be decieving.
(a>b) ? false : true

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:45:37 am »

my current is "Lensden", Interesting for how there is no glass whatsoever.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 08:22:20 am »

It means 'scarcity or lack' ...so all you need to do is make sure there is absolutely no salve on your map at any time.

Which implies that ALL of your Dorfs will have dry, cracked, itchy skin and chapped lips like an Alpine skier.

COLD BLISTERS FOR THE COLD BLISTER GOD!
SKIN FLAKES FOR THE DANDRUFF THRONE!
Pages: [1] 2