Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I got a Vampire...  (Read 2743 times)

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I got a Vampire...
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:04 pm »

She killed 1 mason and has made a few others pale. I have her identified, and moved all my beds into the barracks, the hospital, and 1 big dormitory. SO far nobody has cached her feeding.

I also tried making a burrow under a nice bridge, but wherever I assign her to the burrow se just stops wherever she is doing, gets the "no job" tag and doesnt move to her new home. What am I doing wrong?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I got a Vampire...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:04 pm »

Burrows (other than civilian alert burrows) don't restrict movement, they only restrict where a dwarf can take jobs.  If you want to get her under the bridge, put her in the military (possibly her own squad) and station her there.  You might instead try building her into a wall with a little office and make her your fortress' bookkeeper.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:56:40 am »

The problem with vampires is, that they will often become your mayors - if you wall them in, an outpost liason cannot reacht them. So I prefer killing them.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:46:30 am »

You can choose a mayor at any time. And you can appoint a baron - no need for the vampire to be any of these nobles.
It may get annoying to shove the vampire off the mayor position every year after election, but it may be worthit.
(a>b) ? false : true

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:49:19 am »

Kill him.

I have had a vampire mayor, but I put a giant wren in the same room than him which broke his two legs but let him alive. And as he was confined in a burrow (this room) he couldn't be sent to the hospital. He couldn't suck anybody, there...and the outpost liaison could still spoke to him. I advise you to make him fall from 9z. 9z is enough to wound him enough (in 90% case) so that he cannot walk anymore, but not enough to tear apart his entire body. Another vampire i got had his lung torn apart, but stayed here for a looonnggg time.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:42:29 am »

You can't choose the mayor, the mayor is elected.  You can, however, build the vampire into a wall before it gets the chance to idle, socialize, and make friends.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:45:05 am »

The mayor is elected, yes, but then you can change him manually. You just have to watch and change it again each time there's an election if you want a specific dwarf as mayor.

Wyrmnax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:47 am »

I stick him in the military, in a room with upright spear traps linked to a lever. Then i let someone who is in need of fun to pull the lever repeteadly.

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 04:05:52 pm »

Sorry for taking so long to respond, thank you all for the advice.
Burrows (other than civilian alert burrows) don't restrict movement, they only restrict where a dwarf can take jobs.  If you want to get her under the bridge, put her in the military (possibly her own squad) and station her there.  You might instead try building her into a wall with a little office and make her your fortress' bookkeeper.

I didn't know burrows didn't restricted movement, this brings another question, if a dwarf is in a burrow can he still drink and eat in the main hall? Or do I need to set a food supply on his burrow?

About the other ideas, I have a pretty sizable population, so I already have a dedicated bookkeeper and manager. I read in the wiki that vampires take longer breaks because they can't drink alcohol, and that's pretty much my bane.

I stick him in the military, in a room with upright spear traps linked to a lever. Then i let someone who is in need of fun to pull the lever repeteadly.

This seems like an interesting idea. I already have a danger room to train my military to lords fast. I wonder what would happen if I do that with her and let her there a few years?

Last question, does a vamp need blood to live? will she eventually go mad for the lack of blood?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 04:23:50 pm »

No, but he'll possibly go mad from the lack of clothes once they rot away. So if you wall him in, put something in his cell that he can admire, that should be enough.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 04:32:29 pm »

No, but he'll possibly go mad from the lack of clothes once they rot away. So if you wall him in, put something in his cell that he can admire, that should be enough.
Do Armor rots?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

Do Armor rots?
No. Unless exposed to extreme environments / refuse stockpiles.

CheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:46:14 pm »

Do Armor rots?
No. Unless exposed to extreme environments / refuse stockpiles.
Then I think I know what I'm going to do, a simple 1 tile danger room with 10 training spears and set her to train for 1 or 2 years, of course dressed in my best steel. Then when I get to the caverns I'm going to set her to patrol and claim for the dawerland.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »

Vampires don't need blood to survive, but they do want blood, and if they're deprived for a long time they seem to come out much thirstier than they would be otherwise.  If you lock her up for a couple of years, and then release her, she'll probably go from bedroom to bedroom draining people enough to kill them outright.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 05:00:19 pm »

Vampires don't need blood to survive, but they do want blood, and if they're deprived for a long time they seem to come out much thirstier than they would be otherwise.  If you lock her up for a couple of years, and then release her, she'll probably go from bedroom to bedroom draining people enough to kill them outright.
If only Animals slept naturally...
Then you could just leave out a Yak or Water Buffalo, or something else gigantic, and she can sate her thirst with that.
(Last time I took a run at the Wiki, it said Animals don't sleep. Is that true?)
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.
Pages: [1] 2