Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underwater Masonry  (Read 998 times)

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater Masonry
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:42:12 pm »

Before falling damage was in, I was able to pump out a few squares of water, and build constructions (walls) in the pumped out square to make dams.  It seems now that whenever I try to do that, my Mason runs in, gets stunned or something (white X), and cancels the job without even starting the construction.

The region I'm trying to work looks like this:
Code: [Select]
O = Wall
W = Water
P = pumped out water square

OWWW
OPWW
OPPW
OOOO

I'm trying to build walls in the top and right P squares.

Anyone know how to do this?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Underwater Masonry
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »

Magma

Rakushun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »

Easier to temporarily drain all the water underground and off the map

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:32:37 pm »

This is actually on the surface, under a waterfall draining 5 z levels into a lake.  I dammed the waterfall before trying the masonry, but the lake is kinda huge and is connected to a river already that dumps out the edge of the map, so draining the lake seems like a lot of work.  But hey, for FUN, it might work.

Rakushun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:40:57 pm »

You need to drain all the inputs. What you do is dig the same width as the river you want to drain right up against the wall of the area right under said river, smooth and carve fortifications on the wall, then dig up if necessary (keeping everything the same width) to right under the river, build one-tile-wide retracting bridges the length of the drain, link them to a lever, designate ramps to be dug above the bridge (the dwarves can dig through the closed, retracting bridges), and finally pull the lever. Do this for all the rivers coming onto the map and everything should dry up quickly. You especially need to do this if, like me, you're embarked in a savage biome and there's a damn giant sponge sitting in the water right next to where you're trying to build a wall for the fort's defense. Can only kill those buggers by drowning them in air.