Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Games you've finished and will never, ever play again.  (Read 5877 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you've finished and will never, ever play again.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26:17 pm »

FF8 for sure. I was bored by the end of the first boss fight. Spamming summon after summon after summon, wondering when the hell this guy is going to die already. If you have 30 skippable "cutscenes" every time you fight a boss, something is very wrong in the design department.

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I think the same of FF9. Got to the point where they let you onto the world map. The over the shoulder, camera constantly turning to follow you, everything is foggy, no map in the corner to guide you thing bugged the hell out of me. Just couldn't put up with it.

FF5, regretfully though. Just got too far last time to want to start all over again. When I think about it though, that's the exact reason I never finished 4 or 6 either.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »

The only thing that keeps me from re-playing FF6 is the knowledge of the EPIC GRIND it takes to teach all your characters magic. I simply can't do that much grinding anymore, not that rate and speed. I think that's why Zozo is forever burned into my memories, I must have put 40 hours into farming in Zozo for those 3MP fights right after you first learn espers.

Up the stairs....down the stairs....up the stairs....down the stairs.....Ugh.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:41:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 04:08:40 pm »

Honestly there's minimal chance of me ever replaying a game that is big on the story element.
Mass Effect series.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal
Red Faction
Trine
Assassin's Creed
Octodad
Personally I won't ever replay Oblivion because I think it's terrible.
Dragon Age 2

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:16 pm »

Personally I won't ever replay Oblivion because I think it's terrible.

I thought that too, but then again, Morroblivion.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 04:32:35 pm »

Game series like Assassin's Creed and Arkham Somethingsomething really suffer from the "there's no reason to play the first title in the series" syndrome, because game play improves so dramatically. It's like downgrading from a sports car to a riding lawn mower, particularly in the case of a game like Assassin's Creed 1, which was so very light on in-game mechanics and any meta-mechanics.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 08:02:35 am »

Game series like Assassin's Creed and Arkham Somethingsomething really suffer from the "there's no reason to play the first title in the series" syndrome, because game play improves so dramatically. It's like downgrading from a sports car to a riding lawn mower, particularly in the case of a game like Assassin's Creed 1, which was so very light on in-game mechanics and any meta-mechanics.
Yes, but the lowered price point will encourage people to shell out a few dollars to experience the story line firsthand. You could just watch someone else play it or read up on the story, but some may feel like they want to do it themselves.

On topic, some games I have finished/didn't quite finish and will never ever play again:
Fallout New Vegas: I got this on recommendation of a friend and sorta liked it, but sorta didn't. Put in maybe 30 hours and didn't quite finish it, the game just didn't quite have a great story to suck me in. I quickly lost interest afterwards and haven't played it in months, and don't intend to start again any time soon.
Any COD game: Played MW1, 2 and Blops. Enjoyed the heck outta MW1, and to some extent 2, but got a little frustrated with Blops. Finished all of the games, and the multiplayer was straight up bad so never really see a point in playing the games again. I have never touched MW3 and don't plan on touching BO2 unless it somehow becomes more interesting than AC3, which is the big name title I am excited for this year
Skyrim: This game was so much fun right up to the point where I finished the game and then said "What do I do now?" I had reached a moderately high level, to the point where I was killing many monsters in a single shot or a few shots. Mods may bring me back, but without high level content and a replayable story line there doesn't really seem to be a point in doing pointless sidequests. Yeah, infinite quests sounds cool in theory, but in practice the quests are so low quality to begin with they are a snooze fest.

Any game that relies on its story to keep me going doesn't seem to work. Sure a game like AC has a big focus on story, but the actual game is fun that I play that game for the gameplay, and the story is just a really nice touch. I think games should have gameplay first, story second. A story is much more enjoyable when your actually having fun.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 08:35:58 am »

Final Fantasy VIII.  I knew I wouldn't like it.  I had gotten to the last dungeon before when I was young and remember it leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  Well I tried it again bout half a year back in an attempt to finish the collection I had.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

I beat it, but I have no desire to ever play that thing again.  Even if I kind of liked the junction system.  I just can't stand the characters.

In my case, I kinda liked the characters and story (FF8 is somewhat of the Marmite of the series, you either love it or hate it), enjoyed the card mini-game, but the combat system is horrifically imbalanced, even by the Final Fantasy series' standards. First playthrough I used the summons almost exclusively, which was fine right up until (minor spoiler) the start of the last disc where this 'strategy' goes horribly wrong, and by this point it's practically impossible to dig out of this hole. The Junction system sounds like a good idea in principle, but it discouraged the use of your most powerful spells - because they're more use as stat boosters! This leaves only standard attacks and limits, the latter of which are far too easily abused (3 of the characters have powerful multi-hit attacks, whilst another has - if you have the patience - an instant win attack that works on anything).

</rant>

On the main topic though, in the event that I ever feel inclined to suffer through getting the last fragments and trophies, FF13-2 will fall into this category. Whilst the enemy-reuse isn't exactly a surprise, as the same happened in 10-2, there's very little in the way of new challenges (excluding the DLC), and whoever thought that those 'puzzles' would be a good inclusion should never, ever be allowed to work on a game again.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:28 am »

Duke Nukem Forever

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 09:01:14 am »

Most CoD games. I might play the second one for the nostalgia factor someday but the others are now collectors items or just so bad that no sane person would play them twice.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21:18 am »

In my case, I kinda liked the characters and story (FF8 is somewhat of the Marmite of the series, you either love it or hate it), enjoyed the card mini-game, but the combat system is horrifically imbalanced, even by the Final Fantasy series' standards. First playthrough I used the summons almost exclusively, which was fine right up until (minor spoiler) the start of the last disc where this 'strategy' goes horribly wrong, and by this point it's practically impossible to dig out of this hole. The Junction system sounds like a good idea in principle, but it discouraged the use of your most powerful spells - because they're more use as stat boosters! This leaves only standard attacks and limits, the latter of which are far too easily abused (3 of the characters have powerful multi-hit attacks, whilst another has - if you have the patience - an instant win attack that works on anything).

Nah I understand that.  I thought the junction system was a neat idea but poorly implemented.  Junction Ultima to everything, keep your characters health yellow and just press square until your limit break came up.  Do massive amounts of damage and easily outpace anything.(btw I did the same thing you did with the summons the first time I played through.  And then that blasted castle takes them away pretty much permagimping you.)

The only characters I liked were Laguna and crew.  That may be in part to Laguna's "Man with the Machine Gun" music.  Also he has Michael Jackson on his team fighting with katars.  And their other team member throws harpoons and anchors at people.  I probably would've enjoyed the game despite its shortcomings if they were the main characters.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:45 am »

The Pokemon games. All of them. (At least, the ones that I HAVE played.)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »

Adventure games, any of them (except maybe monkey island ones, they have hilarious scenes that might be worth revisiting). Things like the Myst games, The Dig, etc. they are simply not fun to play when you know all the solutions, but they were amazing games as long as you played them for the first time.

The Pokemon games. All of them. (At least, the ones that I HAVE played.)

This reminds me of my old Pokémon Blue I have lying around. I actually caught all 151 (then) existing pokémon in that game. Man was I a dedicated gamer back then. In any case, I'll never, ever play that game again, simply since there's nothing left to do and the newer ones does the same thing, but better, anyway.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 01:45:03 pm »

I don't usually finish game, I'll stop when nearing the end and lose all motivation to play. I don't know why.
I have this problem too, but to be honest I use it as a method to be able to come back to it go "What the hell was I doing next???" and then restart it due to that reason. The main problem with me though is that I finish the game's story all in my head just after the halfway point even down to that "Surprise" badguy that they throw at you sometimes. The only game EVER that I have finished was Final Fantasy XI, Only game ever finished, never playing it again but it did have some cool parts to it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 2 [3]