Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Non-lethal combat  (Read 8591 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Non-lethal combat
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:30 pm »

You just get brought before justice too, for public brawling, provocation, and being a foreigner.
Dwarves have the rights to be foreigners!
No, No, No, Do you see how much hate goes around this forum about useless Migrants?
THEY HAVE THE RIGHTS

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 01:23:14 pm »

The bandit ringleader throws his axe to the ground, kneeling and raising his hands in submission to the brave adventurer.

"Well, I've taken care of your petty gang," gloats the adventurer. "Now, tell me where the treasure is hidden!"

"Damnation!" the ringleader spits. Reluctantly, he points to a tree stump a short distance from the camp.

The adventurer reaches inside the stump and retrieves the pouch of rubies. "A hollowed-out tree stump. Clever. It would have taken me all day to find that on my own."

"I suppose that's why you let me live," the ringleader narrows his eyes. "Are you going to kill me now?"

"No, no," the adventurer shakes his head. "The lord of Rootsburied will pay double if I bring you in alive."

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 05:19:40 pm »

Hopefully this will make tantrums less likely to cause death, particularly when the fortress guard is sent in to subdue with the offender.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 06:49:00 pm »

I look forward to that...I hate the deadly prison system...it has built in execution as a price for crime...but if you don't set things up right even minor crimes end up resulting in death when its beyond necessary.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:26 pm »

We could just throw pebbles at people as non-lethal combat

Oh wait.....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 07:08:31 pm »

The spinning pebble strikes the police chief in the head, shattering the skull through the <emu leather police cap>, tearing the brain!
The police chief has been struck down.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:16:27 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:16 pm »

The SWAT team has become enraged at all enemies!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »

Currently critters will typically fight until one side dies or flees. Now they'll be able to stop earlier so you can just beat the crap out of someone without wanting to kill them.
I don't follow. You can not want to kill something?

Things like apprehending can also become possible. So police work in cities and towns will become reality.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:38 am »

I posted this elsewhere before becoming aware of this thread. It is relevant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 09:48:30 am »

I wonder what will be necessary for opponents to recognize lethal combat? Is all unarmed combat assumed to be nonlethal? Is hammer wielding lethal? what about a big lead crutch?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 11:58:39 am »

I wonder what will be necessary for opponents to recognize lethal combat? Is all unarmed combat assumed to be nonlethal? Is hammer wielding lethal? what about a big lead crutch?
Funny, I just remembered when I tried out marksdwarfship, I would put my crossbow back in it's cave spider silk quiver whenever I was done shooting, and that'd be it. A reasonable guess would be to say that if you have an [ITEM_WEAPON] in your hand, you're attempting to be pretty lethal.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:07 pm »

Funny, I just remembered when I tried out marksdwarfship, I would put my crossbow back in it's cave spider silk quiver whenever I was done shooting, and that'd be it. A reasonable guess would be to say that if you have an [ITEM_WEAPON] in your hand, you're attempting to be pretty lethal.
That might deped on personality. If you are able to hide it, or they can tell that you have a weapon but arent using it, They could change their tactics.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 02:19:25 am »

How about wrestlers, strikers, kickers, biters? They aim to be lethal even without weapons.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 03:16:28 am »

Depends on what they're being tasked with doing. The majority of the time yeah, they aim to beat your sorry face in and snap all your limbs like twigs.

But if they can be ordered to go for subduing rather than killing... Probably still break bones but then haul them in.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:54 am »

Hey, if non-lethal combat is fully implemented in for tmode, we can have full fledged dwarven wrestling matches, without causing a loyalty cascade! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4