Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: sheep, alpaca or llama?  (Read 15696 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sheep, alpaca or llama?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 08:59:02 am »

The other possibility is if before you generate a world you can set embark points in advanced world gen (I think to a maximum of 10,000) which would enable you to take a dozen sheep if you wanted, personally I only spend about 500 points 'cos I'm pretty minimalistic and worry more about training epic squads of soldiers and building monuments more than efficient design, sometimes I'll just release semi-megabeasts/FBs in the dining hall as training exercises.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:07 am »

I'm not usually concerned about material values except for noble rooms. As an extra, I don't know how you use the turkeys, but I since eggs need to be cooked, well, I don't usually get to cooking meals untill some basics are up and running so I have a huge buildup of eggs, taking valuable hauling time. Since that was the case, nestboxes became low priority, resulting in adult turkeys doing nothing in their egg-machine to be. After a short time of consideration, I decided to bring poults instead of adult turkeys.

If you use them to mass breed turkeys for later slaughter, ignore this, but if like me the nestboxes arn't that high on the list, consider tking poults saving a few more points. They grow up within/after a year by which time the initial rush is over for me.

On the other hand, you could take more, build a butcher and save on the meat costs at embark. Well, there are more things like that to save points, like taking plants instead of booze and start brewing early (1 plump helmet = 5 booze, saving of 6, 4 if you bring empty barrels, barrels were 2 right?)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:49:06 am »

I'll try for the ultimate minimalist approach that can still get you to a fully equipped squad of 10 dwarfs(having each ASAP helm, gauntlet, breastplate, high boots, greaves, shield and (melee) weapon)

This would exclude almost all food and drink(enough for one season I suppose), no stone blocks, only stone. No finished items(barrels, pots, wheelbarrows, ....) except for those where the items are brought in, no bars or finished weapons/armor: only ores. No coke, not even pieces of wood are allowed.(3 from the cart should be enough on a woodland-area) Anything I have forgotten?
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 09:57:58 am »

Sheep are your best bet if you want to start with the basis of a wool industry.  They have the smallest pasturage requirement and I'm pretty sure all wool has the same value in the game.  I used to embark with a ewe and a male lamb, since the ewe could also be milked, but I didn't want them to start breeding right away until I had secure underground pasturage set up for them.  I start with pigs instead of sheep now, they don't have wool, but they can still be used for meat and milk and they aren't grazers.  I still buy sheep from the first dwarf caraven and if they don't bring any, I request some.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 09:58:45 am »

not bad, not bad at all :D
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 09:59:58 am »

bring some luck, and make it good
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 11:06:15 am »

With 394 points to spare, I present you: my minimalist embark(which I didn't save, idiot me...)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 11:52:23 am »

Well, I'll be sure to save it.
HAHAHA YOUR EMBARK PRESET IS MINE NOW ( yes slow day )
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »

it could be even more minimalistic(don't spend skill points, only bring ore for 2 or 3 dwarves, .....) but that is up to you. this is doable.
Also: should you take this as your embark profile, please do post it here between spoilers, so that someone(me) else just has to copy-paste it in the right file

magicwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 02:07:00 pm »

I don't know how you use the turkeys, but I since eggs need to be cooked, well, I don't usually get to cooking meals untill some basics are up and running so I have a huge buildup of eggs, taking valuable hauling time.

The strategy that I've seen from captnduck is to: 1) bring male + female turkeys, 2) create nestboxes and pasture the females in the area, 3) create food stockpiles that don't accept eggs. The resulting chick'splosion will give you a ginormous amount of turkeys after they all mature. Throw some more nest boxes to the mix and Allow eggs in your food stockpiles, suddenly you'll have more eggs than you know what to do with and you can focus on brewing drinks from plants instead of making meals from them.

It's a pretty low effort way of getting a lot of food.
If I wanted to do things the "easy way", then I wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »

I usually don't bother with shearing. If I don't have any yarn thread or cloth, the caravans will bring more than enough to satisfy moods. I only have to survive until first autumn without them.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 [2]