Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Auto-Shotgun  (Read 31545 times)

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Auto-Shotgun
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

Schematic.

I need a schematic.

Don't hold out on me man.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:47 pm »

He has the save posted halfway through the first post.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 02:45:39 pm »

Do you have to have forward momentum for damage? (based on falling items now damage) Seems like a multi-z corridor could be effective also.  IE, quantum pile from 30z up with multiple carts at the same time.  Use a bridge or set of floodgates to syncronize.

Second thought: reading how falling logs hurt/kill dwarves on stairs, you could have a single tile stairwell for things to come up, and dump from at least 4 different directions, Dwavf made Avalanche system. With multiple stairways sealed with bridges you could reload as they move to a different avalanche corridor (and get dumped on again). the front of the attackers gets hit with your stuff, the back get hits with the front plus yourstuff... escalading impact?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »

This seems to be an excellent option against dust husks. Just chop 'em up and then the surface is yours again!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 03:30:35 pm »

This seems to be an excellent option against dust husks. Just chop 'em up and then the surface is yours again!
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you just ended up making a walking wall of serrated discs. Husks are scary things.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »

Yes.  We need evil clouds that make inanimate objects fight back...  No dwarf is safe!  Make your naked wrestling corps now!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of the serrated discs lodging in the bones of the husks, and the husks just rolling around on the serrated discs like a living saw blade.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »

@markAFK You're probably right, however I have no iron at all on my map.

@ZeroSumHappiness I have no idea, I've never tried this sock-knockout thing but it seems like it would work, I don't know it if would make them easier to hit though, they don't seem to block any of the ammo so only if the armour user skill stops being used when unconcious I suppose.

@Puzzlemaker You could totally have it switchable to a magma machinegun when the ammo is dry, just have a T junction that becomes a L junction when a door over one of the exits is closed.

@Qwernt A heads-up bridges and floodgates are near-useless when dealing with carts because they take 100 frames to open/close and 100 frames is an eternity in cart terms, a cart shoots through my shotgun twice in 100 frames. The death-stairway plan sounds like it would work, however items stationary on staircases stay there, I don't know if enemies hit by stuff would start falling and any ammo that hits a guy would stay where it hit him. Give it a try! It would be great for collecting the ammo afterwards as it would all be in one place.

Here's your schematic Gearheart.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 08:47:37 pm »

Dropping stuff in stairways is nowhere as fun as a single z-level room with flying serrated discs, simply because with the latter you can see whole carnage at once.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 09:38:10 pm »

If you can put this on the border between a non-evil biome and a zombie-resurrecting evil one, I think it would be possible to shotgun body parts all over incoming enemies. Those not killed by flying fingers and toes will be mobbed by other zombified bits soon after. (I'm not sure of the effectiveness of undead hands and such, but at least they'll keep enemies distracted; you can use ballistae/crossbowdwarves while they're occupied if that's the case) The problem is cleaning up afterward, since most of the enemies will likely be killed within the evil biome, creating full-sized zombies.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 11:31:28 pm »

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2012, 12:14:01 am »

If you can put this on the border between a non-evil biome and a zombie-resurrecting evil one, I think it would be possible to shotgun body parts all over incoming enemies. Those not killed by flying fingers and toes will be mobbed by other zombified bits soon after. (I'm not sure of the effectiveness of undead hands and such, but at least they'll keep enemies distracted; you can use ballistae/crossbowdwarves while they're occupied if that's the case) The problem is cleaning up afterward, since most of the enemies will likely be killed within the evil biome, creating full-sized zombies.

Could be done in a safe and controlled fashion with a captured necromancer chained behind windows, fortifications and raising bridges.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 01:11:33 am »

Now just fill your minecarts with magma AND large iron serrated discs for twice the coolness factor !

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 01:13:34 am »

Now just fill your minecarts with magma AND large iron serrated discs for twice the coolness factor !

Now just fill your minecarts with magma, large iron serrated discs, AAAAAND adamanite serrated discs for THREE TIMES the coolness factor!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:36 am »

im unclear on one thing here, why do you need to get the cart to z4 before crashing it into a wall on z1? couldnt the cart just be pulled to z1 and accelerated to the wall on rollers?

also, is there a max cart speed? how many rollers on highest setting are sensible to use for max effect?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5