Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 111652 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Re: StNPO - 2 - How are we even alive?
« Reply #330 on: August 09, 2012, 09:28:44 pm »

I don't know how it happened but the zombies I had previously had locked in a room somehow got out and now all hell is breaking loose.  Thoughts?

[sarcasm mode] And here i thought it would be a great idea to lock a bunch of murderous death machines in a room and not pay attention to them. Who would of guessed that they would escape somehow?   [sarcasm mode end]

The door was locked.  I didn't know they could unlock doors... But yeah, we have roughly 5 dwarven zombies on our hands and 4 or 5ish other ones.  What's the best way to get rid of them?  "Lock the doors" isn't an option at this point seeing how they can unlock doors.  They couldn't for a very long time and suddenly they acquired that ability...

So basically we have a bunch of murderous death machines that can unlock doors and have a tendency to head shot dwarves. Dwarf fortress at it's penultimate level of !!FUN!!

If they can unlock doors why didn't they do that to begin with?  They were in there for two solid seasons and then SUDDENLY decided to leave.  It's not that I just ignored them its that I didn't think they'd be able to leave after being trapped for two whole seasons.  I just went to oversee some projects I was working on.  I mean, what'd they do?  Scarf down some rare candies and learn a new skill?  What in the world...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:16 am »

That's exactly I meat.

Locked door can be picked by kobolds. Alive or undead, whatever
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2012, 07:38:06 am »

That's exactly I meat.

Locked door can be picked by kobolds. Alive or undead, whatever

Wait so basically a bunch of zombies were jamming in the courtyard and then a kobold opens the door and lets them in?

I would have never anticipated that, holy crap, this fortress really isn't easy, I mean most the time you can just build a wall or something then invasions aren't a big problem, beast attacks won't happen, ect.

In this fort you get attacked by flying dudes so walls don't do anything and there's almost permanently a few dozen carcasses laying around which could attack at any time and then to compound the problem there's 4 kobolds who keep coming back to life and letting all the other zombies through the doors?

Sheesh, this fort really is hardcore, I've said it once and I'll say it again.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:22 am »

Going to upload a state of the turn as it is.  Not ENDING my turn but I want you guys to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.  Not much aside from this has actually happened so I'm really just going to do 1 big update at the end of my turn.

Events so far:

Zombie Wermen - we recruited some people and killed them
I worked on stuff for 2 seasons
Zombie Dorfs - fuck
-present day-
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2012, 12:05:39 pm »

Add some floodgates to the prisons.  And entrances.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2012, 11:10:51 am »

wat?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2012, 11:30:37 am »

Can I get a dwarf in this madhouse?

That Aussie Dwarf - Mad Engineer - Mechanic/Siege Engineer. 

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2012, 11:34:51 am »

wat?
Add floodgates to the spots that zombies can enter from.  As far as  know, floodgates are unpickable. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2012, 11:37:18 am »

wat?
Add floodgates to the spots that zombies can enter from.  As far as  know, floodgates are unpickable.

Floodgates are quite susceptible to Building Destroyers though.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:44 am »

wat?

Floodgates are quite susceptible to Building Destroyers though.

Yes and at this point we don't have time to set up floodgates.  Really 1 tile bridges are the way to go since the also can't be jammed by crap lying around.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »

Did I get a new dwarf? If so, did s/he die a hrrible death? My dwarves tend to do that.
If I don't have a live dwarf, I'd like a new one. Ideally a child about to reach adulthood.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2012, 08:33:43 pm »

Did I get a new dwarf? If so, did s/he die a hrrible death? My dwarves tend to do that.
If I don't have a live dwarf, I'd like a new one. Ideally a child about to reach adulthood.

Your dorf is CURRENTLY still alive.  Also redorfing isn't ideal right now because of the impending zombie apocalypse.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do about them.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »

how about Reginald? has he become zombie food yet?
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2012, 09:25:51 pm »

how about Reginald? has he become zombie food yet?

Yes he's deal.  Interestingly enough Steel is currently the only living dorf.  Our population has dropped to 10 with at least 1 injured in the hospital.  However we've managed to secure the courtyard and some migrants have arrived.  I'm uploading a pic of what we're dealing with as we speak.

By the way, about the doors this is what I've learned thus far:

When dwarves are running away from zombies they will unlock locked doors in order to flee inside.  That's how the zombies were initially released.  It also makes quarantining a huge issue but The court yard seems secure.  All zombies within it are dead, and their bodies stored near the wall.  The rest of the fortress is flooded with zombies though.  Image to come.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »

Pic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49