Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 111777 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Re: StNPO - 2 - Anniversary Edition - Come share the gift of madness!
« Reply #270 on: August 02, 2012, 08:33:31 am »

OP Updated.

Wow, a challenge that actually promotes the good of the fortress?! I'm already downloading the save.  Can't wait to see what the fortress looks like now. XD
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 02, 2012, 10:07:44 am »

1st Journal of Ifeno

I was just summoned by Reginald who has chosen me to be his successor.  Now I would like to lead off by making one thing perfectly clear.  Although I share the same first name as one of this fortresses previous overseers, we are in no way shape or form related.  It is not uncommon for two individuals to share the same first name, that does not make them the same person.  As such, I have no intentions of acting like our previous overseer who, as far as I can tell from the stories, was a lunatic to begin with.  Being relatively new to the fortress I decided to take this time to make my first formal inspection of the fortress.  I will record my findings here.

**Captions are OoC**

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So that part of the fortress is being flooded.  I'd love to prevent it but I can't find the damn lever!
I later discovered the door was already closed.  Guess I lucked out?

I found what I assume is Andy's trap.  I'll just wall it off and that should be that...

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:31:08 pm by Ifeno »
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StNPO - 2 - Reclaim count: 2
« Reply #272 on: August 02, 2012, 10:33:46 am »

Any tips for reclaiming a fortress infested with zombies?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 02, 2012, 10:35:13 am »

You know I have a sneaking suspicion Ifeno sucks at this game, you somehow managed to lose two relatively stable, if dangerous fortresses in less than a season :P
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2012, 10:50:13 am »

5 dead, 1 alive  :P

and we've got one 11 year old, one 8 year old, and a baby. though as you can see i've already given you a new dwarf.
Hm, thanks. I'll take the 11-year-old if when my current dwarf dies...oh, too late, everyone's dead. Well, I'll take a dwarf in the reclaim party. The fourth one down in the list, make him/her whatever.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:24 am »

You know I have a sneaking suspicion Ifeno sucks at this game, you somehow managed to lose two relatively stable, if dangerous fortresses in less than a season :P

I was working on a way to dispose of the corpses but they  all woke up within an hour of gameplay.  Really not much I could do considering we only had 1 militia...  Calling either of those fortresses "relatively stable" is a huge exaggeration since the 1st one required evacuation after a few hours and this one has roughly 20 zombies inside it... To be quite honest though I haven't played much solo DF since the necromancy update.  I wasn't aware they'd come back to life after such little time.  (Granite hadn't even ended yet)

But yeah currently attempting to re-claim.  3/7 Dorfs still alive and inside the fortress.  But that's still crawling with zombies so...yeah.... I'll probably just keep sending reclaim squads in until 1 of them eventually survives it....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:54:22 am by Ifeno »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2012, 11:22:31 am »

My usual tactic was - embark, dig under, lock inside with provosions, make plans of dispatching zombies. You can use my smasher trap, it worked fine

Dorf me as one of survivors after you manage it.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2012, 11:29:16 am »

and the irony is that if you had left the bodies alone they would have behaved just fine. the part where i kept them is non-raising (save for 1 or 2 tiles).

good luck with the reclaim :)

P.S. please redorf me as Reginald II, if that dorf dies Reginald III, and so on...

EDIT: and at least my flood trap won't cause fps death :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:31:45 am by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2012, 11:33:21 am »

and the irony is that if you had left the bodies alone they would have behaved just fine. the part where i kept them is non-raising (save for 1 or 2 tiles).

good luck with the reclaim :)

P.S. please redorf me as Reginald II, if that dorf dies Reginald III, and so on...

EDIT: and at least my flood trap won't cause fps death :P

Yeah your food trap isn't too big a deal.  Really just an inconvenience.  In all honesty the FPS is fairly good for all the flooding.  Also, how do you know those tiles are non raising?  Again sorry I don't have super much experience with the zombie update....

My usual tactic was - embark, dig under, lock inside with provosions, make plans of dispatching zombies. You can use my smasher trap, it worked fine

Dorf me as one of survivors after you manage it.

Where's your smasher?  I was looking for that earlier but couldn't find it.  What exactly did you do?  Kill them and smash the corpses or did you smash them while they were alive?

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2012, 11:36:38 am »

Yeah your food trap isn't too big a deal.  Really just an inconvenience.  In all honesty the FPS is fairly good for all the flooding.  Also, how do you know those tiles are non raising?  Again sorry I don't have super much experience with the zombie update....

i know the tiles along the inside of the wall are non raising because that's where i stored all the corpses during my turn.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:39:43 am by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:36 am »

Where's your smasher?  I was looking for that earlier but couldn't find it.  What exactly did you do?  Kill them and smash the corpses or did you smash them while they were alive?
If Andy didn't dismount it, it's entance should be to the left of this:

it has note on it describing it's construction. Plate with smasher behind it, then plate+hatch combo. Sometimes crundles make run over bridge before it raises.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:43 am »

i know the tiles along the inside of the wall are non raising because that's where i stored all the corpses during my turn.

But are you sure they're not raising?  Or did you just get lucky?  I had't started moving them when they got up and started killing things.  My preperations weren't ready when they were killed.  Or is any corpse stockpile non raising?

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:14 am »

it has note on it describing it's construction. Plate with smasher behind it, then plate+hatch combo. Sometimes crundles make run over bridge before it raises.

So it's an automatic atom smasher?  Ie.  I just clean out the fort, dump the corpses outside and wait for them to attempt to re-enter the fort upon which they will hit the plates and smash themselves?

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2012, 11:51:57 am »

But are you sure they're not raising?  Or did you just get lucky?  I had't started moving them when they got up and started killing things.  My preperations weren't ready when they were killed.  Or is any corpse stockpile non raising?

i don't have much experience with evil regions, but seeing as most of those corpses were there for the better part of a year, i'd say they were safe. i know that the fields south of the mountain are non-raising. maybe try building a fort out there first.

and i never dismantled the smasher, so it's still there, just south of the garden of death.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 02, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »

So it's an automatic atom smasher?  Ie.  I just clean out the fort, dump the corpses outside and wait for them to attempt to re-enter the fort upon which they will hit the plates and smash themselves?
You can dump them somewhere inside. Deads raise if the tile where they are belongs to evil region. in our case it that is what under snow. Courtyard along the walls, moat and such are safe, I was dumping boudies there with little problem. I even made butchery next to guard tower - it's safe too.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49