Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 111576 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: StNPO - 2 - Anniversary Edition - Come share the gift of madness!
« Reply #255 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:46 am »

I'd be willing to take a turn if Andyman can't do it. I prefer the formative years, so please add me to the list again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 25, 2012, 09:15:33 pm »

attempting to download the save now, though my internet is being an ass right now, so i might not get to it until tomorrow.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 25, 2012, 09:16:57 pm »

Oh, well.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2012, 11:28:49 pm »

From the Journal of Reginald Torchallied - High Master Gem Cutter

28th Obsidian of the 8th year

It has occurred to me that i haven't made an entry in quite some time, i'll summarize the events of the last few months here for my recollection:

Several months ago the Queen sent me and my apprentice Olin Sorbirkel to "the grand fortress of Poolstockades" to expand the jewelers guild. imagine my surprise when i saw what a cesspit this place really is! the undead ravage the countryside, it's a miracle that any of us made it inside safely. And once inside the grand walls, it was revealed that the "fortress" was no more that a few shallow holes in the dirt! over the next few months i was forced by "gar" and "Peregar" to do every kind of work, except my trade!

now with Peregar stepping down from the Overseer position, the fortress is without a leader. I volunteered to lead them through the next year, I mean I'm the head of the jewelers guild, how much different could leading a fortress be?

1st Granite of the 9th year

Today i took a walk around the fort, though i've been living in it this place for the better part of a year, i've only really seen the courtyard, dormitory and food stockpile.

our "dining hall" consists of a single table surrounded by food and booze, our "Grand Entrance Hall" is merely a short tunnel carved into the mountain, we've got nearly no food or booze, and to top it all off some farmer came screaming at me telling me that "WE'VE GOT TO WALL IT UP NOW OR WE'LL ALL BE DEAD!" oh, and did i mention the horde of undead knocking on our door?

and on top of it all, Peregar handed me a plan for a statue garden surrounded by ballistas.... not sure what to make of this. He also told me that i'd be "rewarded handsomely" if i completed this garden of death.

journal, i can tell already, this is going to be one hell of a year...

OOC: haven't unpaused yet, just wanted to get my initial reaction up. also i'm pretty sure i've spotted your trap Peregarrett.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:16 am »

Oh, too bad I hadn't time to build it more clever.
On the other hand, it raises chances of surviving
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:20 am »

2nd Granite of the 9th year

i've taken a look at what the terrified farmer wanted, and indeed we are in grave danger, if a wall is not built soon the moat will overflow into the fortress. i've ordered every other construction project halted and all dwarves to focus on sealing the moat.

15th Granite of the 9th Year

good job everyone! the moat has been sealed and the fort is safe! now let's seal up that blasted hole in the side of the river before it thaws!

16th Granite of the 9th Year

no sooner had we torn down the wall to plug the drain, an undead crundle wandered into the farm area! send in the militia!

more undead have swarmed into the farm area! everyone run! the militia will hold them off as long as they can!

19th Granite of the 9th year

three cheers for the militia! they've beaten back the undead crundles and wolverines! though Nish, Tahu and GreatwyrmLayPewter were killed in the battle. now quickly let's get those walls built, or our brethren will have sacrificed themselves for nothing!

20th Granite of the 9th year

thieves have unlocked the door to  the caverns! the undead are pouring into the farms! everyone get the hell out! we're putting the area under quarantine.

Amsel and Kikrost, the only surviving militia members, stayed behind to distract the monsters from the fleeing civilians.

23rd Granite of the 9th year

the farm area has been sealed off from the rest of the fort. unfortunately, most of our seeds, as well as most of our military equipment has been sealed off as well. there are only 11 of us now, and our food reserves are almost depleted.

25th Granite of the 9th year

we are out of food.

2nd Slate of the 9th year

with everyone tilling the new fields and gathering plants we've managed to scrape together a few plump helmets. it's not much but at least we won't starve to death.

3rd slate of the 9th year

migrants have arrived! quickly! unlock the crusher hall, let them in!

NOOO! the undead have blocked their path to the fort! we cannot afford to send our dwarves out to battle, they're on their own.... and so are we.

i watched from the tower as the undead set upon them, giant crows crushing skulls as if they were nuts, wolverines ripping dwarves limb from limb. this day shall haunt me for the rest of my life.

13th Slate of the 9th year

something amazing happened toady! after more than a week of being chased around by the undead monsters the surviving migrants started fighting back! they formed a couple of small groups and started to make their way towards the zombie crusher.

though most of them still got slaughtered, two of them made it through to the fort! a farmer and a cheesemaker... well at least we've got a couple more hands to help work the fields. there are still two dwarves bleeding out just beyond our gates, and a child running around the mountain peak, but as i said before we cannot risk opening the entire fort to the undead.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2012, 10:13:58 am »

hey everyone, my cousins decided to come over for a surprise visit, so i won't have any time for DF until Tuesday. sorry for the delay.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »

np! life comes first =)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2012, 10:47:03 pm »

OOC:i apologize in advance for the wall of text, but i hate taking screenshots. also there are 20 unclaimed dwarves (3 children) if anyone wants to be (re)dorfed.

25th Slate of the 9th year

it seems that the two dwarves trapped outside have finally decided to make a break for the side entrance, unfortunately it seems that one of them has a broken spine. i doubt that he'll make it.

6th Felsite of the 9th year

our food crisis is over now that we've slaughtered all the livestock. also one of the dwarves from outside managed to make it in. he's a bowyer, calls himself "GreatWyrmBismuth" he looked pretty badly beaten and we took him straight to the hospital. i hope he lives.

10th Felsite of the 9th Year

BAH! i was awoken today by panicked farmers yelling UNDEAD IN THE COURTYARD! when i arrived at the scene it was strange, the hair of a slaughtered horse foal had risen and started harassing people.. i hollered at everyone nearby to attack the beast, and lead the charge myself.

11th Felsite of the 9th year

huzzah for the brave Thikut! with a single punch she decapitated the beast and ended the threat to the fortress!

on a sad note, one of the children has gone mad. i guess not all of us can handle the horrors this wretched place throws at us on a daily basis.

14th Felsite of the 9th year

the elves have come to trade. little do they know that they will merely add to the zombie population.

20th Felsite of the 9th Year

a deafening roar was heard throughout the fort today. i'd hate to meet whatever creature was responsible for it.

1st Hematite of the 9th year

Toady GreatWyrmBismuth came up to me and thanked me for allowing him to enter the fort. the doc says he'll need a crutch for the rest of his days, but at least he can be a productive dwarf again.

8th Hematite of the 9th year

our lookouts reported that all of the undead on the surface have wandered away from our home! i'm organizing a salvage mission. hopefully we can get some much needed wood and maybe an extra pick if we're lucky.

28th Hematite of the 9th year

to call the salvage operation a success would be an understatement! we managed to grab 60 logs, several bags of seeds, an extra pick from across the river, and sealed the remaining zombies in the caverns!

and to top it all off, nobody died!

now that we have two picks, i think i'll try building that "Garden of death". but first, let's see whats behind those "mysteriously warm walls" 

also, i've lost my apprentice to the mason's guild. probably because WE DON'T HAVE A SINGLE GEM TO CUT. a situation i intend to rectify.

2nd Malachite of the 9th year

i had Peregar channel a hole on the top of the warm stone, and within it was magma! we've had two small pockets of magma sitting in out hall this whole time and we didn't know it! i've ordered the area to be walled in and for smelters to be built!

13th Malachite of the 9th year

MIGRANTS! seven of them! they made it to our gate with little trouble, and even managed to kill an undead kobold. that brings us to twenty three sorry souls living in this hellhole.

16th Galena of the 9th year

it's been a quiet month... the undead have left us alone for the most part, and with the garden of death nearing completion i've set the miners to expanding the entrance hall into something worthy of a mountainhome.

Also, the humans have arrived to trade! huzzah!

28th Galena of the 9th year

we've managed to strike a deal with the humans, we got ourselves some cloth, an iron axe (we used our only steel bar to make a third pick) and a few other odds and ends.

also an undead kobold has snuck into the fort and killed GreatWyrmBismuth! our one man militia has been dispatched to kill it...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:02:44 pm by andyman564 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2012, 10:14:17 pm »

Wow, how many dead dwarves do I have so far?

Hm...are any of the kids nearing adulthood?
Sig

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »

5 dead, 1 alive  :P

and we've got one 11 year old, one 8 year old, and a baby. though as you can see i've already given you a new dwarf.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:21:36 am by andyman564 »

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2012, 11:49:50 pm »

16th Limestone of the 9th year

today one of our woodcrafters became oddly secretive, she claimed a crafters workshop and started gathering materials for some secret project.

18th Limestone of the 9th year

the woodcrafter, Lokum, has begun working secretly on her mysterious construction.

also, i've finally got a jewelers shop constructed!

23rd Limestone of the 9th year

today Lokum emerged from her workshop and presented her creation to the fort, she called it Amematzul "The Curled Glade", and i must say it is a fittiing name for her bracelet.

the willow decorations accented by the hanging rings of highwood and alder certainly gave it the look of a peaceful clearing amongst the trees. of course i've never told anyone else this journal, they might accuse me of being an elf sympathizer, and that's the last thing any dwarf would want.

11th Sandstone of the 9th Year

our chief medical dwarf has given birth to a girl! i hope baby urist lives a long and happy life, which would be nothing short of a miracle in this place.

1st Timber of the 9th year

that crazy woman atop the throne has sent more migrants!

ten more poor souls have joined us, amongst them was a talented blacksmith that called himself "GreatWyrmSteel", he says that he's here to avenge the death of his "brothers". i just hope he takes it out on the zombies and not me.

6th Timber of the 9th year

while digging out the grand staircase, the miners happened upon an abandoned tunnel dug by the original 7 settlers! they determined that this tunnel leads into the first cavern layer. i'm having the grand staircase extended into this tunnel so that we may explore further.

11th Timber of the 9th year

The dwarven caravan has arrived! huzzah! and the garden of death only needs a few more statues to be placed before it is complete.

18th Timber of the 9th year

with their wagons unloaded, we managed to strike a deal. we traded the rest of the useless crafts made by our predecessors along with some trap components, for some weapons, armor, food, cloth, anvils, and two steel bars.

i've also had the masons carve fortifications in the side of the spire in the cavern so we can look for metals without exposing ourselves to the nasties. they came back today that all they could see is garnerite glorious garnerite! though i guess this does pose a problem for our weapons production..

26th Timber of the 9th year

seeing as we've got no weapons grade ore, i've had Pergarrett request as much metal as thier wagons can carry for next year.

3rd Moonstone of the 9th year

the garden of death is complete! i've drawn in a picture of Olin firing the first bolt.

13th Moonstone of the 9th year

i've been informed that the ghost of GreatWrymGold, the head of the GreatWrym Clan has risen.

also as my time as overseer draws to an end, i've decided to build myself a burial chamber. it's just south of the moat, you can't miss it.

11th Opal of the 9th year

a whole flock of undead thrips people have descended upon us! i'm forming a small squad of archers to shoot them down.

14th Opal of the 9th year

well journal, that went worse than planned... the thrips flock managed to kill four of us before they were cut down. if there is a bright side to this travesty, it is that we didn't lose anyone important.

15th Opal of the 9th year

Another great roar echoed up from the caverns today. i doubt it came from the first beast.

13th Obsidain of the 9th year

a flock of undead wren people descended upon the courtyard. our axedwarf was there to meet them.

15th Obsidian of the 9th year

FUCK EVERYTHING! those damed wrens slaughtered both of our militia, our chief medical dwarf, her baby and some other shluck i don't know. and to top it all off i got stabbed in the foot by a bloody thief!

AND NOW THEY'RE IN THE FUCKING FORT! LOCK EVERYTHING.

18th Obsidian of the 9th year

the wrens have been killed. lock down is over... i hope the reward for building that garden is worth all this.

28th Obsidian of the 9th year

this is my last official day of being overseer, and here i sit with my back agaist the warm wall of our makeshift hospital. not sure when the doc will be back, he went out a while ago to "talk to" Pergarrett. ah well, my foot's feeling better anyways.

i've told the others to bring Ifeno to me so that i may transfer the reins of leadership to him. may Armok have mercy on his soul.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

End of year report:

SAVE

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2012, 12:18:32 am »

Challenge 4:

Challenge:    

Every dwarf shall receive a 3X3 bedroom. each bedroom shall be furnished with: 1 bed, 1 chest/coffer, 1 cabinet.

Bonus: smooth every bedroom

Reward:
you may choose ONE of the options:

1) your dwarf will be permitted to enter Reginald's safe house. (assuming completion)

2) your dwarf will receive a larger (5x5 or bigger) bedroom along with a private dining room and office. these rooms shall be protected by weapon traps.

Punishment:

your dwarf shall be locked in the caverns with only bone armor, a wooden shield, and a copper weapon. you will be permitted to re-enter the fort when you have slain 1 hostile.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:20:57 am by andyman564 »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2012, 02:06:57 am »

Heh, pretty cool turn, if you go down far enough though there's plenty of iron ore, the catch is the area where I found it is flooded.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:31 am »

Yes, garden is prefect, aside from being dug from soil. Provide a shelter scheme for next overseer to make it.

Hey, does Peregar get any military training? If not, he should! Let him fight with pick and armor
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 49