Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 111447 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OoC:  really?  really ashton?  our fps is now at a solid 8.  More detailed update later today... XD  Really funny though

Heh, well this is screw the next player over and I had to make sure you wouldn't be able to detect my trap you see  :o

E: Just had a thought, can I have the fort back for literally an in-game day or two, there's something I meant to do to the trap 'cos at the moment it could potentially ruin the fort and there was a quick adjustment I meant to make and then forgot about which scales back the damage a bit

Nah, let's roll with it ;)  There really isn't a fort to ruin right now so if it DOES somehow kill us I'll just re-claim.

It's a lag issue rather than a hard difficulty issue, just fixed anyway :)

I warned you, should of taken the alternate save :P

E: Eh, you only have to do a small plug to fix it so can't be too much of a problem and there's even an escape route... good luck!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:39:25 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile

I don't think the dorfs know that there's an escape route because I had to dig my own. XD  It's ok, I was planning on abandoning that base anyway.  To the surface!!!
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Dreagon, 4th of Slate

We have finally settled in to our new home, Agsalkikrost.  The journey from the mountain home was arduous, but I have led my people here so that we may bring glory to our great dwarven empire.  After our arrival, I was introduced to Ifeno who is in charge of not only the military, but the whole fortress.  I and several others of our troops have been recruited into his personal squad.  He will teach us to fight so that we may protect Agsalkikrost from the many dangers of the world.  Having served in the Grand Army for a few years I quickly equipped myself with an Axe and began patrolling the caverns.  I rescued one of our farmers from a zombie arm.  It wasn't particularilly challenging, but it was more than enough excitement for one day.

Diary of Dreagon, 7th of Slate

Today began as any other day.  I arose from my sleep in the barracks, geared up for work and began patrolling my sector.  Around 14:35, a citizen reported hearing a strange rumbling sound coming from above.  We sent 2 men to investigate, but they reported nothing unusual.  Around 17:25 all hell broke loose.  A flood of water began to rush down the main staircase.  Ifeno quickly ordered the miner to dig an escape route while everyone else gather up their belongings and seal the cavern door.  The leak was small so there was plenty of time, however we had no way out except through the caverns.  For Ifeno, this was not an option.  As soon as the miner broke through to the surface Ifeno ordered everyone to evacuate.  Several dwarves were trapped in the iron-mines, but the miner managed to dig an access route so they could escape.  Being part of the military I was of course ordered to stay behind and ensure all civilians are evacuated.  A dwarf named Xeres exclaimed he had some sort of brilliant idea and ran off to the far side of the camp.  Ifeno and I ran after him and found him furiously working at a workshop.  The water was up to our waist by now.  Ifeno ordered me to evacuate and protect the civilians on the surface.  I of course protested and pleaded to stay by his side, but he ensured me he would follow close behind as soon as he had convinced Xeres to evacuate.  I agreed, and made my way to the escape route and out to the surface where I was engaged by a Troglodyte.  I ordered the miner to dig an access shaft to a small room connected to the fortress's moat.  The room was large enough to house the dwarves and the soil appeared farm-able.  I issued the construction of some necessary workshops as well as farm plots.  With everything necessary for our survival prepared, I ordered an assembly to discuss future actions.  Ifeno and Xeres did not attend it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Diary of Dreagon, 2nd of Felsite

I was voted new overseer of the fortress during the assembly on the 7th of Slate.  The way I took charge during the evacuation appears to have made an impression on the others.  The first order of business was to secure the perimeter so I ordered the various excess entrances sealed off as well as to abandon the cavern farms.  They proved to be too dangerous with the mass amounts of zombies around.  Things are going well as of right now.  Despite having lost Ifeno and Xeres, we are quickly recovering from the incident and are well underway to reclaiming the old fortress.  Some traders have been spotted on the horizon so I have ordered a new trade depot to be built as soon as possible.

From the Record of Xero Veil, Diary of a Desperate Surgeon - 12th of Felsite

The zombie threat has escalated overnight.  Dreagon and other other guards have been fighting the zombie hoard in the caverns for the past 3 days.  No one knows where they came from, but their numbers appear endless.  It seems I am brought new patients every hour, and every time I finish dealing with one they are forced right back to the front line.  I don't know how long we will be able to hold out.

**The parchment that the note is written on appears to have been torn from a book.  The handwriting is shakey and hard to decipher.  One corner is stained with what appears to be dried blood.  The author is unknown.**

27th of Felsite

I don't know how much longer we will be able to hold out.  Dreagon and the others are dead, the frontline has collapsed, and they have reached our camp.  Only 10 of us still remain.  May Armok have mercy on our souls.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:49:02 pm by Ifeno »
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

...I think you found the trap...
Well, let's see what happens when moody dwarves turn into zombies! I doubt that they'd continue the mood, but who knows?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cellmonk has been pmed  :D

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

since my turn got cut (quite) short I decided Cellmonk would reclaim, and I will simply get a 2nd (hopefully full) turn down the line.  For the record, if anyone else loses and does not wish to reclaim, they may postpone their turn in this manner as well.  If anyone is bothered by being bumped back by my 2nd turn, please simply let me know and you can go before me.  I chose the slot fairly arbitrarily so if you'd like your old slot back, that's no problem at all! ;)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, the flooding killed the fort?

...Wow, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever said.
(Q: Did the flooding actually drown everyone, or did zombies get the survivors, or did zombies get everyone, or did you abandon like an elf?)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, the flooding killed the fort?

...Wow, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever said.
(Q: Did the flooding actually drown everyone, or did zombies get the survivors, or did zombies get everyone, or did you abandon like an elf?)

Oh the flooding only got Ifeno who got attacked by berzerking Xeres and thus unable to escape in time.  The zombies got everyone.  A massive mob of roughly 20 zombies (including 5 flying zombies).  We didn't stand a chance.  I'm pretty sure even if the flooding hadn't happened we wouldn't have lived through the mob.  The flood only made us move out, but we were in a secure location.  The only thing the flood really did that damaged us was it scattered the dwarves and made it hard to organize an attack.  So I guess you could say it set us up for the zombies to finish us off.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking through the legends there were a couple of troglodytes that killed 5 between them, a batman and a giant sparrow. I'm guessing that as everyone went through the second cavern layer an ambush brought the fortress to its knees, was kinda hard to tell anything from the updates though >_<
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking through the legends there were a couple of troglodytes that killed 5 between them, a batman and a giant sparrow. I'm guessing that as everyone went through the second cavern layer an ambush brought the fortress to its knees, was kinda hard to tell anything from the updates though >_<

It was written vaguely since I really have no idea how it happened.  All I know is that my units list kept getting shorter and the zombie list kept getting longer.  By the end I saw a massive mob of zombies beating up on the last surviving child.  In fact, the update is a pretty accurate representation of what was going on.  (with a few dramatizations)  They weren't killed in the 2nd cavern layer though since I had the dwarves assigned to a burrow and everyone was within the burrow before people started dying.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cellmonk, you should bring some military dwarves. If not, you don't have a chance in HFS of getting underground before the zombies get them, and if you don't get underground before the zombies get them, I will have to reclaim a fortress that has a crapton+9 zombies (assuming you don't buy any domestic animals, only bringing the two pack animals).

Since I have the next turn, I'll give you a suggestion: Give all 7 dwaves the carpentry labor on embark, and bring a bunch of logs (at least ~20). Build a bunch of walls around the wagon. Once they're all up, SAVE. Then, select some of the dwarves in the walls to be miners or whatever and work from there. Try to completely seal off the entrance, even from flyers, once everything's inside. Oh, and post brief descriptions of the survivors' personalities, skills, and so forth so that we can start dwarfing.
I have a feeling that no sieges are going to get very far...
Sig

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Whoa, reclaiming fort full of zombies is a real pain in ass. Good luck!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This may very well take you several reclaims Cellmonk so if it does, feel free to keep reclaiming until one of them makes it.  Your first priority should probably be finding a way to destroy the corpses.  Since the magma sea is hard to access I would advise either digging into the magma reservoir within the mountain, or atom crushing.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, fair enough. I was just miffed that everything went to poo  :( everyone's probably quite right in that reclaiming will be a pain to do, I had to embark three times before getting a safe hold out on the surface but even then I had to go underground after a few months due to flyers. Just being out in the open so a mineshaft could be dug down and legging it out the zombie invested fort to the caverns caused about 5 deaths, this is a seriously hardcore map with about a dozen zombie flyers at any one time and they'll come in waves approximately every 30 seconds (at 50 FPS).

Also can we alter the rule that your turn will be skipped after one week without an update to:
Your turn will be skipped if you don't acknowledge it after 2 days or don't post an update for one week, it'll keep things moving a lot faster and was something that miffed me about the old StNPO

Last thing, can my challenge be carried to the third overseer?
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To the 1st request:  No, let's keep it to the 1 week rule.  I week is fitting since it allows most people to return from any vacation they may be on.

As to the 2nd request:  It has been.  Infact, I think I'll update the OP to state that any challenge that is failed / not started due to losing will simply carry over.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49