Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A typical dwarven family  (Read 6213 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A typical dwarven family
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 05:20:46 am »

just a few comments back to the original question

as far as I know there are only two things that cause enough happiness to completely compensate for death. Making an artifact and making children (children work for both parents and all siblings). Giving birth to a baby and killing it right afterwards still leaves a significant happiness bonus.
Unfortunately you can't control either of these directly.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

murdersmith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 06:51:34 am »

Thank you all for your advice! (and completely hilarious comments :) )

I wasn't aware of the potential happiness benefits from various military duties (such as killing - it is a shame that I have already exterminated these pesky rhesus macaque so there are non left for her to slaughter. But I controlled myself for long enough already, trying to be patent and not to get angry on the poor animals that just didn't know any better and stole my items and scared my dwarfs all the time. I still felt a bit guilty when on ordering my military to kill one especially naughty specimen, who had stolen a precious, precious rope, the dworfs just wiped out the whole heard whilst I wasn't looking.), but I still would feel uneasy about her keeping her crossbow and armour (such as it is) in the likely eventuality of following in her son's footsteps.

That's hilarious! Did she get the kill?
Holly handgranate! Such possibility hadn't occurred to me but indeed she is credited with the kill of her son! The last two entries in the reports on this ghastly event are of her bashing the child's upper body with her crossbow, bruising the lung (auch!), and he expiring immediately after.

I will try to up the value of her room, and have ordered the immediate production of lavish meals, but I am unsure how I can force her to make a friend (?). In any case, some answers have given me doubt about the possibility of me saving her and I am afraid I will have to start planing for worst.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 07:20:32 am »

i have yet to see a non berserk/mad dwarf able to ignore legendary dining hall long enough to break

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 09:31:38 am »

And simply lounging about in the dining room, viewing the statue garden, attending that party Urist McLoafAbout is throwing at the =Limestone Table= for the next two weeks is guaranteed to make some freinds for her.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 11:01:16 am »

How about caging her and then releasing her? I think they get the 'happy to be free' thought from being released from a cage even if it isn't a part of dwarven justice.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 01:48:50 pm »

Assign a war dog to her. She'll get a good thought from that and it will come in handy if she goes mad.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32:51 pm »

How about caging her and then releasing her? I think they get the 'happy to be free' thought from being released from a cage even if it isn't a part of dwarven justice.

"Unhappy to be confined recently."
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »

The latest info on the wiki on what thoughts have what modifier is from 40d. I don't think there have been any significant changes since then.

Confinement in 40d = -10 to mood. Release in 40d = +1000 to mood.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 06:46:29 pm »

Me being unaware that children now need clothes (been off DF for a year or two) caused the demise, via tantrum-spiral, of my last two fortresses.

On the second one, I managed to make clothes for all but the first two children, but one of them destroyed my entrance bridge over the volcano caldera while 7 other dwarves were on it. Much death ensued.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 06:52:35 pm »

Do you have a were-creature? If so, then you only need to have her be mauled to unconsciousness and be infected, keeping her sanity sane until the next full moon - where she'll be absolutely fine!

murdersmith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 05:30:07 am »

How can I cage a dwarf? I only see my animals in the list that I can assign to a cage.
Another children is getting very unhappy because of the clothes thing, I would like to cage him too :)

Do you have a were-creature? If so, then you only need to have her be mauled to unconsciousness and be infected, keeping her sanity sane until the next full moon - where she'll be absolutely fine!
I had a weregoat visiting once, but none is on my map now.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 06:07:27 am »

How can I cage a dwarf? I only see my animals in the list that I can assign to a cage.
Another children is getting very unhappy because of the clothes thing, I would like to cage him too :)
A webbed cage if you have access to webs. Otherwise you can cage the lil' bugger by having it pass out on the cage trap. You can use cave-in dust or perhaps having it hit by something (minecart or falling objects?). The safest way would be having it trapped in a room full of cage traps and waiting for  it to fall asleep on the floor (remember to give it food/booze or it might get even more unhappy.)

..Why am I calling the child "it"?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:06 am »

Apparently I haven't adapted to the Dwarven Mindset yet, but the idea of a Parent killing their own child does NOT strike me as funny...

Interesting. But the mass slaughter of all cats of a single gender gives you no pause? Or the Slow dismemberment and torture of entire species of civilized beings? The betrayal of fellow sentients and trading partners by walling off the trade depot with glass then filling it with water? Strange ethic system you have, that holds certain bits and instructional interactions so highly.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:42 am »

Apparently I haven't adapted to the Dwarven Mindset yet, but the idea of a Parent killing their own child does NOT strike me as funny...

Interesting. But the mass slaughter of all cats of a single gender gives you no pause? Or the Slow dismemberment and torture of entire species of civilized beings? The betrayal of fellow sentients and trading partners by walling off the trade depot with glass then filling it with water? Strange ethic system you have, that holds certain bits and instructional interactions so highly.
The cats part is only because it's necessary.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 12:56:20 pm »

The cats part is only because it's necessary.

So was the child killing.  /shrug
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4