Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A typical dwarven family  (Read 6214 times)

murdersmith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A typical dwarven family
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »

Hello!
I have a small story of what happened in my fort tonight and a connected question.

One of the children in my fort just went mad. Yes, he was running around completely stark naked, but, as he was only one year old, it seamed not to be a very big issue to me (besides, he had his beard to cover himself with).

Nevertheless, mad from the terrible grief he went, but to compensate his too early developed sense of shame, he at least had very good manners. So good in fact, that he choose to go berserk right in the middle of my barracks - literally encircled by my whole military.

I must admit, it was quite disturbing to read the reports of the following events, namely, my army standing around the unlucky bugger (who's spine was axed in the very first frame thus making him a nice defenceless and helpless target, lying, as he where, on the ground) in a neat circle, methodicaly smashing his ribs and head with the butts of their crossbows, kicking and even biting - so, after the unexpected training exercise was over, I went to check the morale of my troops, expecting some trauma.

The true depth of the tragedy was only then revealed, as the one solder who had became 'very unhappy' after the frenzy, turned out to be the mother of the butchered child! And as it weren't enough, the poor soul obviously is under even more self tormenting than could be expected after slaughtering her own child (which should be immeasurably much already, I guess), because, despite 'having lost a child to a tragedy' even recent thought in her memories is about 'taking joy in slaughter' and that is just wrong if the respective slaughter is of one's own child..

Anyway, my question: how I can help my dwarven mother who had the strength to do what was necessary to get over this tragedy without following her child's fate? I relived my whole military from their duty to get rid of the unhappy thoughts because of the service and to store their weapons safely behind the stone doors of my arsenal in case it wasn't enough. I also plan to give the mother her personal room of good quality, but what else can quickly bee done to give here some happy thoughts?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A typical dwarven family
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:00:10 pm »

No nono nonoNONOnoNOoo.

You have to give her a friend. Eating masterwork food at a legendary dining room. A grand bedroom. Sparring helps.

Above all, things to kill. Enjoying slaughter makes everything better.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »

Have her kill EVERYTHING.

Joy in slaughter stacks you know.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:00:51 pm »

That's hilarious! Did she get the kill?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »

Apparently I haven't adapted to the Dwarven Mindset yet, but the idea of a Parent killing their own child does NOT strike me as funny...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:21:53 pm »

Apparently I haven't adapted to the Dwarven Mindset yet, but the idea of a Parent killing their own child does NOT strike me as funny...

Most people here kill entire populations of children for giggles. I shove them into the caverns and let them "explore" and "play" with the wildlife, and drink "strawberry juicepacks" that they always "drop."
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:23:45 pm »

I was going to suggest having her station under a drawbridge.  Whether that's ideal or not depends on how many other relatives she has though, you'd want the entire family tree under there.

Sending her after the entire wildlife population of the map sounds good too though.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:17 pm »

I was going to suggest having her station under a drawbridge.  Whether that's ideal or not depends on how many other relatives she has though, you'd want the entire family tree under there.

Sending her after the entire wildlife population of the map sounds good too though.
The OP is trying to Improve her mood, not kill her.

All of a sudden I'm getting a feeling of sickness in my gut...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:45:57 pm »

Its a game. Get over it.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

That's what taking on all the wildlife is for, all dwarves love killing things right?

My (limited) experience has been that dwarves don't recover well from such things. I think I've managed to coax one (1) dwarf back from the brink after loosing a child. Intentionally, at least.  That said, usually half the fortress is loosing children at the same time due to Urist McNutjob. That doesn't help.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »

At a time like this, there's only one proper thing to do...
Automate the process.
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:55:02 pm »

Most people here kill entire populations of children for giggles. I shove them into the caverns and let them "explore" and "play" with the wildlife, and drink "strawberry juicepacks" that they always "drop."
Most of us don't kill the children for shits and giggles, we do it for more practical purposes. Like cutting down on resource consumption, or FPS drains. The giggles are merely a positive side effect.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:15:21 am »

I don't kill children for shits and giggles. The goblins do it for me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 12:15:49 am »

Yes. Embrace the slaughter, OP. Soon, you'll be killing childrens like the best of us. You'll be slaughtering them en masse! Sacrificing them to Armok!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 12:19:07 am »

I can feel the warp overtaking me!! IT IS A GOOD PAIN! Ahem... My bad, I got carried away.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4