Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of 34.11 questions  (Read 1124 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A couple of 34.11 questions
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:28 pm »

If I generate a world with the rate of mineral occurrence at the highest setting ("Everywhere"), will that still cause flux stone to not appear in the site finder?

If you have a hunter among your starting 7, he doesn't start with a free crossbow anymore.  Any idea what version that change happened in?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of 34.11 questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:04:22 pm »

His highest skill must be ambusher.

HIGHEST SKILL. To get crossbow.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:16:48 pm »

I think the flux listing bug is still around. Also, I'd recommend you switch over to using Advanced World Generation, as it will give you more control over the minerals frequency and the like (remember: closer to 100 produces more minerals).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:20:05 pm »

His highest skill must be ambusher.

HIGHEST SKILL. To get crossbow.

I understand this completely.  My hunter, whose highest skill is Ambusher, has not received a free crossbow for several versions now.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »

even in advanced world generation, flux finding is still bugged at the embark

the free items at embark have been limited, too bad for you
after all, someone with miner as highest skill, according to the same logic, should get a free pickaxe
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
  • What wonders will I see this day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:45:16 am »

You know Garath, 3/4 of your posts are snarky, smart-ass, unprovoked rude remarks.  It's becoming particularly irritating, and I'm sure I'm not the only who feels this way.  Go look at the wiki, ambushers have always come with equipment, toady wouldn't change it without saying something.

To OP, I've noticed the ambushers not getting equipment too, but I don't know if it's on purpose or a bug.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:08:25 am »

Doesn't he have a point though when you filter out the unwarranted hostility? Woodcutters should come with an axe, miners should come with a pick, and military should bring their own weapons like adventure mode start if skills equaled equipment.

I think even if it's a bug, it's more of a balancing bug more than anything else.

Besides, getting a wooden crossbow is about as easy as getting a wooden axe, so it's not like you're missing much.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:47 am »

Toady deliberated set it the way he did, and he has said nothing about it changing.  Whether or not it should be this way isn't the question, or the point.  The point is, it was this way, and now it's not, and Toady either didn't change it or forgot to tell us.  That's a pretty big change for some of us, so I doubt he'd have forgotten to mention it.

Thus, the most likely cause is a bug, that needs to be fixed, then everyone can argue whether or not it makes sense.

Also, whether or not he's right, there was absolutely no need to flame the OP for asking a question.  That was a jackass move.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 04:47:39 am »

Toady only mentioned the free items on migrants that they were either not working, limited, fixed... well, something, I forgot exactly what, some release before the minecarts, maybe the items for the starting 7 were also changed. Going to look for it now

edit:
(*) People should more consistently bring axes, picks, crossbows, quivers, ammo

only mentions "bringing to the map", no mention whether migrants or starting 7, and more consistently doesn't answer wether it's always or a chance. With the new historical migrants you get a lot of people with ambush skill (I do at least) and 1 in crossbow, so it wouldn't be surprising if the rate has been reduced, which might affect embark too.

Or it has been removed altogether since it was, in my opinion, a bit of an exploit and strange that ambushers were favored like that
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:00:30 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 05:55:07 am »

I think it's pretty clear that means migrants, considering the picks and axes thing.  Also, the hunters would bring equipment 100% of the time, as far as I am aware, I was never aware of any bugs regarding that, and you can't make 100% more consistent.  Anyways, an unstated change is a bug until proven otherwise in most programming circles.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the specifics of whether or not it should be, and there's basically no point in discussing this further without Toady coming in here and stating whether or not he changed it, and it's not really worth his time.