Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark with magma sea at -23z  (Read 881 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Embark with magma sea at -23z
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:33:44 pm »

I have a pretty nice embark on my current site.  It's flat, with oodles of trees and a river origin on the map.  The first two layers are all "Silty clay loam."  The first cavern level is at -6z and the magma sea is only at -23z.  There is at least one candyfloss spire, probably more, but I haven't investigated that far.  Not much Iron, but sufficient other metals and marble down deeper, so I have a steel industry, if not thriving, at least running.  Goblins and Kobolds are alive and well; although I have yet to receive a decent siege, the goblins have pretty regular ambushes.

It's somewhere between "easy" due to the relatively benign habitat (dingoes and alligators) and "interesting" due to how close the underworld is. I was looking for a low-risk embark site, and was surprised to hit caverns and magma so early on.  It makes one wonder how far the magma sea goes and what could use so much space under it ... 

If I've uploaded this right, this should be the initial save, abandoned for reclaim, so you can reclaim or pull seed out or whatever. 

Comments welcome, I'm too busy storytelling around the site to Dig Deeper and see what's Down There.

edit: I also have been getting ambushes led by dwarves with goblin names.  The local goblin civ must have been pretty active kidnapping dwarves in the past.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:47:44 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0