Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: M.U.G.E.N  (Read 12922 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: M.U.G.E.N
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 04:23:35 am »

One of my favorite characters is Warusaki3's Final Dio. His road roller attack can take out about half your health. It's especially deadly when coupled with the time stop.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 04:25:49 am »

One of my favorite characters is Warusaki3's Final Dio. His road roller attack can take out about half your health. It's especially deadly when coupled with the time stop.

Someone also made a Shadow Dio

The point of his Time freeze is to start spamming knife throws.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2012, 04:31:31 am »

Ah, good old Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

ZZAAAAA WARRUDO.
Toki wa tomare.

UIIIIIIIII!
mudamudamudamudamudamudamudamuda!

Soshite toki o tomaremasu. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyway, i'd probably exclusively fill it with Jojo characters and SF characters, oh, and Tekken.

I'd love to see say... Iggi + Pet Shop vs. Panda and Kuma.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2012, 05:21:23 am »

Someone also made a Shadow Dio
Warusaki3 also made Shadow Dio. And Jotaro. And Vanilla Ice.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2012, 05:58:56 am »

There are at least three Shadow Dios, all of them different, and all of them worth playing. There's the ancient weirdass six-button one by Orochi Herman, another one by someone whose name I can't remember which is almost totally unique (based on Jojo arc 1 Dio), and then there's Warusaki's one (the EX mode of which took inspiration from the second mentioned here).

There aren't many Jojo conversions around besides the Warusaki3 ones, and those that aren't his are usually bad. The few that are neither generally aren't that technically sound. Playable, but usually a bit odd. It's a shame as most of them are pretty creative.

Related: There was a fad in the Japanese community a few years back that involved emulating Jojo characters via IaMP/SWR characters. Some of those were amusing.

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm back.
It seems very interesting things were happening while I was gone.

Also, requoting Sirus to avoid any further questions

I downloaded a ton of Marvel characters, but I can't figure out how to use them, can anyone help me figure it out?
Buttonmashing?
No, no, no, that's my usual strategy, I can't figure out how to install them.
1st: Put each of the character folders (not the RAR files you might have downloaded) into you MUGEN's char folder.
2nd: Go to the data folder and open the "select" text document. NotePad is fine.
3rd: Go to the section with the title [Characters]. Skip past the tutorial text with the semicolons, and look for a a line like this:
Code: [Select]
kfm, random4th: Under the above line, type the exact name of each character folder you placed in char. You may also wish to add the ", random", which will tell the game to choose a random stage when you fight that character. Make sure each character/stage combination is on a different line. Example:
Code: [Select]
WarMachine, random
ryuDG, random
ultrarox_vice, random
5th: Save the select file.
6th: Run MUGEN!
Deadpool is comin' for ya.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2012, 10:41:18 am »

Probably a better idea to copy that into the first post if you don't want it to be forgotten.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2012, 10:44:51 am »

Yeah, I was thinking about that.
'Gun shot me in da' face.

'ight so, guys, can everyone please state what is his favorite character, and the franchise please.

Mine would be:
Deadpool - Marvel
oooooooor
WarMachine - Marvel
ooooooor
Silver Surfer - Marvel

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2012, 10:47:53 am »

As I've already stated,
Dio Brando - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

He is simply so much fun to play.

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2012, 10:58:56 am »

Off-topic: I have insect phobia and I'm currently running from a weird thing (insect).

On-topic: Do any of you use the WATCH mode? It's fun to watch.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2012, 11:54:06 am »

I'm sad. They don't have Curly Brace or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
from Cave Story.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 09:42:16 am »

Cool, I didn't know MUGEN was still being developed/distributed.

Last time I checked, elecbyte site was dead and they had bitched a lot about how people stole their engine beta and whatever.

Then it became Linux-only.

I went looking for alternatives, found http://paintown.sourceforge.net/
(which is a beat 'em up but apparently it also is a MUGEN clone, and accepts the data files for Vs. fighting)

Now I'm confused because I don't know which one is better... I would guess MUGEN is more "compatible" but Paintown is "newer"...

Bah, guess I'll get both.

EDIT: Well, apparently MUGEN (no surprise) is better in probably every way (unless you want to play a Final Fight style game, obviously).
Anyone know how can I change the CRAZY BIG zoom? Each character takes like half of my monitor.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:12:53 am by Sergius »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 10:18:43 am »

Depends on what you're dealing with, but I'm guessing you're using high-res characters. If that's the case you'll want to open the relevant character's cns file and change the xscale and yscale values until they're appropriately large (0.5 is usually good).

If it's window resolution that's the problem, you can change that in data -> system.def.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:26 am »

Yeah I changed it down to 640 x 480 and seems better. Still I wish the battlefield was a bit wider. (guess I do that by scaling down the chars)

One thing that irks me about MUGEN is how spammy the attacks are. Not sure what it is exactly... maybe there's not enough stagger when getting hit, or not enough warmup time before special attacks, or no limit on combos or something, or the physics are wonky (doesn't much feel like you're hitting someone as scratching them). Not even sure if that's something that can be adjusted per character, globally or not at all.

If any of you play for example Marvel vs. Capcom on winkawaks you probably know what I mean.

EDIT: Scaling seems to mess everything up, like projectiles and grabs tho.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:40:40 am by Sergius »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 10:55:31 am »

It's both a character thing and an engine thing. The thing is, the actual engine isn't that customizable; you can change constants and such, but it's almost impossible to emulate certain games' "feel" without doing a ton of boilerplate coding to each character so they all interact properly. The fact that only a minority of characters are "accurate" in the first place doesn't help either.

Some of the issues can be solved by changing the system hitsparks/sounds and the like so they have more impact. I use Jojo ones personally (dat groundslam sound).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6