Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Safe Room designs  (Read 5876 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Room designs
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »

FRACTAL PANIC ROOMS FTW!!!  LOL

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »

Panicroomception.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 01:22:59 pm »

Hm. Bridges. Apparently they solve everything.

So, you do the double trench idea mentioned before, with one side being your fortress proper, and the other side being the Panic Room. The panic room would be (most likely) just a smaller fortress with basic supplies stashed. Once your dwarves get inside it, you seal the bridges, then build a wall over the entrance. Hopefully your safe room is uncompromised by teh ZOOMBEEHZ.

Or, alternatively, your small individual safe rooms are unconnected to the Panic Room itself, and you either have to dig to it, or deconstruct a wall, also as someone suggested. That way, any one compromised section is automatically prevented from entering the Panic Room. You could combine these both, and have the individual rooms have a double trench/bridge entrance, then a wall/tunnelable section to the main panic room, which would have its own, smaller panic room.
Until, eventually, its thirty five dwarves in a 1x1 space with quantum stockpiled plump helmets and wine. At which point, you might ought just consider retrying the whole 'Fortress' thing...

hmmm... as it stands planned right now, I have 3 sections that can separate in my new fort, plus the small area at the very top of the area for my nobles I am planing. I also embarked on a volcano, so some !!Fun!! might be possilbe as a last ditch effort if needed by simply using lava and gravity.

I realized though that if I have 4 sections that all go to the same bridge where they intersect and meet, I can quaratine 4 areas with a single bridge and much faster. I will do that for the next floor when I need to make it in a couple of more in-game years... I'm on a 2 by 4 embark area so that I got a brook in as well as a volcano.

Also I had a small zombie problem earlier and wasn't quite done yet making our bridge and walls. I ended up just locking everyone inside the fort. The guy killed the one zombie honey bager, died, then was raised. Eventually though one of our horses that got locked out killed both of them and after a while all seemed to be ok.

Now if I can only get more dwarfs to train... I might have to make recruits instead of waiting for migrants since I put my pop cap at 20 and the last wave got me to 25... only 4 soldiers...

Hehe, will take that cap off when I'm ready, but for now I need to get a stronger military. As well, the quarantine design I am making SHOULD take care of any zombies or other problems. Actually, zombies are worse because unless you find the necromancer they just keep multiplying and reviving... insane.

I can't help but think of the first resident evil movie while I'm planning this  :D  darn zombies.

Also necromancers must have really good ambush because I do not ever see them when looking around for them or in the "kill" list of enemies on my military screen.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:19 pm »

I realized though that if I have 4 sections that all go to the same bridge where they intersect and meet, I can quaratine 4 areas with a single bridge and much faster. I will do that for the next floor when I need to make it in a couple of more in-game years.

Recommend you avoid doing this.  Very large, heavy creatures can cause a bridge to stick if they're on it when it raises, or break if they're beneath it when it lowers.  If you're planning for stuff to get inside, at least don't plan for one fat titan to wedge all four sections open.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 03:31:14 pm »

Recommend you avoid doing this.  Very large, heavy creatures can cause a bridge to stick if they're on it when it raises, or break if they're beneath it when it lowers.  If you're planning for stuff to get inside, at least don't plan for one fat titan to wedge all four sections open.

The odds for that are so heavily low. Unless of course you want to be as paranoid as possible, and plan for EVERY single possible outcome.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 03:33:21 pm »

I think if you're already building safe rooms in your safe room so you can hide while you hide, paranoia is no stranger to you.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 03:38:21 pm »

Back when I was crazy and paranoid instead of just crazy I would turn all the common areas into mini saferooms. The dining rooms, hospitals, quarters, and stockpiles would have their own lever activated drawbridges along with a small amount of food and booze. The mayors room would be adjacent to a secret room accessible only by going through a door, lowering a drawbridge, and going up a level through a floor hatch. In the uber panic room there would be one pick and 100+ units of booze and food.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »

I realized though that if I have 4 sections that all go to the same bridge where they intersect and meet, I can quaratine 4 areas with a single bridge and much faster. I will do that for the next floor when I need to make it in a couple of more in-game years.

My main concern is zombies, which are sneaky bastards.

When a titan comes, it gives an announcment, unlike with necromancers. Therefore I will be very prepared for sieges and megabeasts. the main issue is zombies and potentionally an ambush every once in a while that goes horribly, horribly wrong.

But mostly it's for zombies who seem nearly unstoppable judging from how they sluaghter my 20+ companions in adventurer mode and then me after I kill the group off once for now that group plus more body parts i chopped off after me.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 04:17:40 pm »

You mean like a zombie elephant which weighs a little over 4x what it would take to hold a bridge down?

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 04:20:23 pm »

You mean like a zombie elephant which weighs a little over 4x what it would take to hold a bridge down?

oh crap, good thinking.

then again no elephants where I am so far a good bit into my third year

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »

Well take a look at this, click the arrows to sort by Adult Size, descending, and see if there's anything common in your area that's above the Too Big For Bridges limit, then do whatever makes sense to you.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:40 pm »

I have a safe hotel 7 rooms surrounding a courtyard with a double bridge airlock.

The basement has a well and pigs.

Only room for the original 7 so the rest are kwerebait slowing down my enemies while the important dwarves get to safety.

I also put all coffins in the hallways behind an iron bar wall for supersticious purposess.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)
Pages: 1 [2]